• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Kings Heath Line

I note that the names for the three stations seem to have been chosen by the public as Kings Heath (already named), Pineapple Road and Moseley Village.
Nothing too outlandish! Seems the public had a severely limited choice. I had hoped that Pineapple Rd would be called Camp Hill School as it is adjacent to the school and the name would give purpose to the name Camp Hill line.

Pineapple Rd. Gosh forgot Pineapple Rd existed. I knew it was somewhere between Kings Heath and Stirchley but have had to look at a map to remember where it actually was.

Last edited:
Nothing too outlandish! Seems the public had a severely limited choice. I had hoped that Pineapple Rd would be called Camp Hill School as it is adjacent to the school and the name would give purpose to the name Camp Hill line.
Problems with that suggestion: 1. the station is not at Camp Hill. 2. The schools are called King Edwards not Camp Hill School.

The problem with that is that there was a Camp Hill station before and it was in a space that could probably take a station again if the line is successful.

The station would not be at Camp Hill that's true, but I think of the King Edward's Schools as being in Edgbaston near the university and the schools in Vicarage Rd are the Camp Hill Schools (plural). If the old Camp Hill station were to reopen say when the link to Moor Street is built then a suitable name could be found, say Balsall Heath or Brighton Road.
Problems with that suggestion: 1. the station is not at Camp Hill. 2. The schools are called King Edwards not Camp Hill School.

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls
I am sure pupils and alumni of both schools would not like you dispensing with the King Edward bit.

Mind you David he has been dead a long while: ;)

Mind you David he has been dead a long while: ;)
Yes but in his short life he founded many schools mainly from the proceeds of confiscation of the money held by the guilds that his father did not get round to doing.

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls
I am sure pupils and alumni of both schools would not like you dispensing with the King Edward bit.
David I'm pretty certain it's not going to happen. But, this alumnus thinks it would have been worth giving consideration to this name for the station.

Camp Hill is somewhere on the Highgate side of Highgate Road by Moseley Road. The King Edwards Camp Hill school used to be there before they decided that was the place to put a freight yard/station. The school moved to Kings Heath but never changed its name.
Around that time there was also a passenger station called Balsall Heath Camp Hill. This was on the other side of Highgate Road. As is they are building a new housing development on the Moseley Road side of the line there and the other side is a coach company.
There is a large empty space on the Moseley Road side of the line where the freight yards used to be but there's a road and a row of houses on the opposite side there.
If anyone was to build a station around there, they'd have to clear several properties that are currently in use and probably improve access to both sides of the new station.
The three stations already announced are where there were previous stations and the ground is still open and (often) has at least platforms. Anywhere else they'll need to buy land and build a new station from scratch.
Up until a few months back when the new development started, it might have been easy to put something up where the old Balsall Heath - Camp Hill station was. There were some large rail sheds one side of the line and all they would have had to deal with was the coach yard. Now that's going to be housing, I doubt there's a chance.

l think the argument about not reopening Balsall Heath was that geographically it was close to the city centre and the railway line takes a long sweep round via St Andrews so trains would have no advantage over buses. Conversely on the Cross City Line Five Ways is a destination station in itself.

Camp Hill is somewhere on the Highgate side of Highgate Road by Moseley Road. The King Edwards Camp Hill school used to be there before they decided that was the place to put a freight yard/station. The school moved to Kings Heath but never changed its name.
Around that time there was also a passenger station called Balsall Heath Camp Hill. This was on the other side of Highgate Road. As is they are building a new housing development on the Moseley Road side of the line there and the other side is a coach company.
There is a large empty space on the Moseley Road side of the line where the freight yards used to be but there's a road and a row of houses on the opposite side there.
If anyone was to build a station around there, they'd have to clear several properties that are currently in use and probably improve access to both sides of the new station.
The three stations already announced are where there were previous stations and the ground is still open and (often) has at least platforms. Anywhere else they'll need to buy land and build a new station from scratch.
Up until a few months back when the new development started, it might have been easy to put something up where the old Balsall Heath - Camp Hill station was. There were some large rail sheds one side of the line and all they would have had to deal with was the coach yard. Now that's going to be housing, I doubt there's a chance.
The school was across Stratford Rd from the goods station. I hadn't realised that there were two other Balsall Heath stations, where the line now crosses Brighton Rd and where the line now crosses Highgate Rd.

Hi

This alumnus would throw Cartland into the mix, as the school was built on Major Cartland's estate.
Personally I would like Camp Hill for nostalgic reasons, but then I don't live in Brum now!

Kind regards
Dave

I don't know if this is an official name but the above article shows the first time that I have heard this line being called the South Birmingham Line

There's been a lot of signage calling this the Camp Hill line but it seems unlikely that there will be a Camp Hill station. The site of the old one is currently being redeveloped into blocks of housing. There's nothing else on that section of the line that has anything like an old station left and all they've been doing so far is recommission the old stations. Add to that most of that section is on an embankment and has various properties very close to the line.

Back