• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Kings Heath Line

The Moseley station seems to be going where the original was.
Not sure about King's Heath as the site of that is now Homebase.

Latest news: An article in The Business Desk about 4 weeks ago. So no it will not be finished in time for the Commonwealth Games. You could be thinking of the rebuild of University station and Perry Barr station.

Contractor named for £61m Brum railway scheme​

CGI-moseley-railway-station-looking-towards-moseley-tunnel_st-marys-row-e1650894674534-500x333.jpeg
CGI of Moseley railway station looking towards Moseley tunnel on St Mary’s Row Credit: VolkerFitzpatrick
Transport
April 25 2022
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/wes...gn=WestMidlands_29th_Apr_2022_Weekly#comments
Write a comment

VolkerFitzpatrick has been appointed by Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) to build three railway stations on the Camp Hill line in Birmingham.

The £61m scheme will reintroduce services for the first time in 80 years for passengers in Moseley, Kings Heath and Hazelwell.

The WMCA is providing £36m towards the cost, with £20m from the Department for Transport and the remaining £5m from Birmingham City Council’s clean air zone fund. Partners include Network Rail and operator West Midlands Railway.

VolkerFitzpatrick says the new stations will offer south Birmingham residents an environmentally friendly alternative to using a car and experiencing traffic jams on Alcester Road for their city centre commute.

Commuters from the Hazelwell station in Stirchley travelling to the city centre will have a 14-minute journey by rail, compared to 45-minutes by car in peak hours.

Work on the site will begin in November with the stations expected to be completed next autumn.

Malcolm Holmes, director of rail with TfWM, said: “This is a major milestone towards seeing passenger trains restored on the Camp Hill line, with the contractor in place and construction crews gearing up to get on site.

“This means, that after several years of planning and development, we are now entering the final phase and it will not be too long before these stations are complete and open to the travelling public.”

Mike Evans, operations director for VolkerFitzpatrick, said: “Our team are excited to be part of these ambitious plans to create an improved transport network, that will support the region’s ambition to be net zero carbon by 2041.”

There was also something from Andy Street on Facebook giving alternative names for the stations and asking people to choose.

There has been a comment made about the stations name being relevant to the place which they serve. This would help visitors to the area.
So it seems unlikely that fanciful names and those irrelevant to the district would be chosen.

I can see the logic of "Moseley Village" as that is still how locals refer to it.

The other station was originally Hazelwell but that no longer seems to be an area referred to.

I can see the logic of "Moseley Village" as that is still how locals refer to it.

The other station was originally Hazelwell but that no longer seems to be an area referred to.
Now my BT yard was in Hazelwood Rd Stirchley. Closest station I remember was Bournville that I can remember.

I have always know it as Moseley Village and always thought that’s what it was.
Strictly speaking it is Moseley. That is what road signs and maps say - as far as I know.
However, because of its position straddling the crossroads by St Mary's and because of its atmosphere it has, for a long time, been referred to as a village. The people work together as they would in a village. (Moseley in bloom, music festival, farmers market etc).

Strictly speaking it is Moseley. That is what road signs and maps say - as far as I know.
However, because of its position straddling the crossroads by St Mary's and because of its atmosphere it has, for a long time, been referred to as a village. The people work together as they would in a village. (Moseley in bloom, music festival, farmers market etc).
Taken there as a kid Meteor Ford were on the corner. Was it St Mary’s Row jnc Oxford Rd.

Hazelwell opened in 1901 , and had a passenger service till 1941, but the goods yard did not close till March 1965, Below is a photo from 1929 (photo credited to D.J.Norton, courtesy of https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/) nd a map c1903 showing the stagtion, though it was a bit more rural then

View attachment 170309View attachment 170310 Hazelwell was the home of the Cartland family (Barbara's relatives) I never realised there was a goods yard off Priory Rd. I note the road bridge was built between the date of Mikes map and his station photo. It has always been a bit of a hump back.

There was a time that this line was to be open in time for the Commonwealth Games. How is progress?
Apparently , the end of next year.

We were also told that the line could not reopen until two new chords had been built so that the trains from this line could come into Moor Street station using the space for additional platforms in that station. This was because New Street was at capacity. Another story was that the line could not be re-opened until the Round Oak to Bescot line was re-opened so that the freight on the Camp Hill line could be re-routed that way but the new line for the Metro is being built over that right of way.
Now my BT yard was in Hazelwood Rd Stirchley. Closest station I remember was Bournville that I can remember.
Bournville used to be called Stirchley Street and I see from the map posted by Mikegee above (Post 71) that there was a definite area with that name.

I note that the names for the three stations seem to have been chosen by the public as Kings Heath (already named), Pineapple Road and Moseley Village.

Back