• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Kings Heath Line

Yes, Pete in retrospect it was not a good move. Unfortunately, at the time, most people seemed ok with the idea.

It wasn't Beeching who closed the Camp Hill line. It was an incident called World War II which closed the line in 1941 and it never reopened.

David
Sorry I'm pernickety, but, for non-raily persons, you should say closed to stopping passenger trains

It wasn't Beeching who closed the Camp Hill line. It was an incident called World War II which closed the line in 1941 and it never reopened.

I am actually well aware of the reason for the Moseley Station closure thank you. The conversation with Pete was about the Breeching cuts in general.

Just read the response of the Moseley Society/Moseley Forum to the planning application. Looks set to be a right ding-dong about it. Official application wants a junction with traffic lights controlling Wake Green Rd/Oxford Rd/station entrance area. Moseley Society/Moseley Forum prefere a new traffic island.

Traffic island might be visually more attractive but I suspect would cause problems at peak time. Traffic lights might be ugly but might keep traffic flowing better.

As there is no parking at the station and as it is intended to encourage people to use public transport does it really need a complex road junction at all?

UPDATE: Planning application for Moseley Station and associated works was approved today. No traffic lights; it's going to be a roundel, which is similar in appearance to a roundabout so the planners say. I'm not sure but I think a traffic roundel is just road markings.

Having crossed the junction of St Marys Row/Oxford Rd/Wake Green Rd on hundreds of times over the last fifty years or so, I do hope the roundel works. I have serious doubts....

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...e-new-birmingham-railway-stations-10-12-2021/
Above is the link to the article shown. It does have more detail than the image - they reckon to start sometime next year. Odd that they should keep the name "Camp Hill line" and not try to resurrect Camp Hill station.
Probably they think that Camp Hill is too close to the city centre to be worth while bearing in mind that the train journey from New Street does take a roundabout route before it gets to Camp Hill. The eventual plan is to build two new curves in Bordesley to bring the trains into Moor Street but that in much further into the future and the plan to reopen the line is just intended to be a an interim measure.

In railway terms line names, such as Camp Hill Line, are usually retained as that was they were known as, particularly by railway men.

I have just checked the timetables. West Midlands Railways used to run a couple of trains from Worcester to Birmingham New Street over this line on Saturdays. presumably just to maintain the drivers' route knowledge. I see these are no longer included.

"Odd that they should keep the name "Camp Hill line" and not try to resurrect Camp Hill station."
The station site area is hardly a large catchment for the line, and scheduling the extra stop on top of building cost would hardly be good value.

"Odd that they should keep the name "Camp Hill line" and not try to resurrect Camp Hill station."
The station site area is hardly a large catchment for the line, and scheduling the extra stop on top of building cost would hardly be good value.
True, although there is some political pressure to put in a Balsall Heath station. Resurrecting Camp Hill would be a lot cheaper and would be more accessible. The question was, without the station, why keep the name?

Perhaps because it goes by camp hill and has always been known as that? There is no station called north warwickshire either, but line is known as that

The two new curves to Moor Street featured in the recently published Integrated Rail Plan report, which has limited vision for rail travel in Birmingham as well as curtailing the extent of HS 2

Regarding Camp Hill and the name, this railway was built for the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway and originally terminated at Camp Hill station before being extended to join up with the London & Birmingham Railway. The line through Selly Oak was named West Suburban after the original railway scheme and which was first built as a single track track railway branch from Kings Norton to Granville Street Station

An informative link telling the history of Camp Hill station. A good picture of the station also.

Hopefully not liken the games flats in Perry Barr, else the line will probably be pulled up and private flats built on it

Back