• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Kings Heath Line

. However the original plan has been kicked down the road for the time being. It will be revived probably as HS2 nears completion as there is a plan to divert trains from the East Midlands (Nottingham and Leicester) into Moor Street to give passengers from that part of the country direct footbridge access to the HS2 station. Whether that part of the plan is still valid now that HS2 will now terminate at East Midlands Parkway instead of Leeds remains to be seen.
Kicked down the road by the latest delays to the station reconstruction?

Kicked down the road by the latest delays to the station reconstruction?
Actually I have not heard about what is happening with the new construction at Moor Street. I know that the effect in practice will be to make Moor Street and the new HS2 station into one large station. To bring additional trains into Moor Street from the Camp Hill Line will require bringing platform 5 into use and building a new platform 6

The Bordesley rail bridge was reconstructed as part of the widening works carried out before the First World War by the Great Westen Railway and shows the former GWR line looking towards Small Heath when some of the tracks had been removed.

Meanwhile, as work goes on to construct the new stations on the Camp Hill line, the delays caused by various reasons for the work progress have highlighted the need for looking after a protected species. These delays have often affected canal restoration schemes, where the care for newts has been an issue. The extension of the Llangollen Railway was affected by nesting birds and now at Moseley, it is Badgers. It is almost a scene out of a former Birmingham newspaper cartoon strip where a badger enjoyed protected status, but his friend the fox has to cope with the general trials of existence!

and now at Moseley, it is Badgers. It is almost a scene out of a former Birmingham newspaper cartoon strip where a badger enjoyed protected status, but his friend the fox has to cope with the general trials of existence!
A short while ago badgers were being shot as a contributor to bovine TB

moseley-village-station-14.jpgNot sure what the latest forecast date is for the line to open. Just read this summary of the line - very interesting.

Attached is the plan of proposed layout for the junction of Oxford Rd/St Marys Row & Wake Green Road [station approach to the right]. Knowing the junction well and the existing chaos I think the revised layout will be a disaster.

View attachment 185453Not sure what the latest forecast date is for the line to open. Just read this summary of the line - very interesting.

Attached is the plan of proposed layout for the junction of Oxford Rd/St Marys Row & Wake Green Road [station approach to the right]. Knowing the junction well and the existing chaos I think the revised layout will be a disaster.
Why? there is no provision for car parking, so other than cyclists and pedestrians there should be little extra traffic.

Would not expect parking facilities to be provided. The whole point of the line is to improve travel facilities for local people. Travelers coming into the city from outside can park further out

Would not expect parking facilities to be provided. The whole point of the line is to improve travel facilities for local people. Travelers coming into the city from outside can park further out
I live just off Maypole Lane, so it is the nearest station for trains to New St for me. (The other nearest, Yardley Wood, only serves the Snow Hill line.) I used to park at Kings Norton (Cotteridge) station to get the train to town or the QE Hospital, but I don't have a car now so would use the bus - and stay on it right through!

Parking in Findlay Road or the inaptly named Station Road will become impossible for residents unless it becomes by resident's permit only

Although there is no parking, there will be the Kiss and Rides driving in, parking all over the place and driving out. At my local station this is a problem at 4.0pm with the schoolkids getting off the train and again 5.30-6.30pm with the workers coming home..

Although there is no parking, there will be the Kiss and Rides driving in, parking all over the place and driving out. At my local station this is a problem at 4.0pm with the schoolkids getting off the train and again 5.30-6.30pm with the workers coming home..
There needs to be a 'maximum wait time', say 5 minutes, and CCTV to record offenders.

Not come across the term "Kiss and Rides" before , but those doing this who can should be encouraged to walk, particularly children.

Surely "Park & ride" is where there is a large car park provided to accommodate cars that are left for the day. A bit different to where there is no proper car park and the whole area gets blocked- up by people waiting, as so often happens by schools where the "little darlings" do not want to walk

Why? there is no provision for car parking, so other than cyclists and pedestrians there should be little extra traffic.
There is vehicle access to the station - for setting down etc - and trying to get out again. A mini island is the worst possible solution to control traffic at an incredibly busy junction. Traffic is regularly backed far up Wake Green Road from village traffic lights and ditto in the other direction as well as up Oxford Road. Traffic management experts recommended traffic lights but bowed to amenity pressure groups purely for appearances sake. Changed traffic priority around the island won't help. Placing of four zebra/pelican crossings near the island won't help traffic flow either.

I regularly travel through this route and I am convinced the alterations will seriously slow the traffic flow and increase pollution. We will just have to wait and see.

However big a park and ride car park is it's never big enough. I live by Chester Road station and parking in neighbouring streets, including ours, is a real problem. I'm sure most people on this forum used to walk to school or go public transport (two buses for me), these days people won't walk further than they have to.

Camp Hill line had a mention in yesterday's prime minister's questions; local MP suggesting that the route should be extended to Longbridge.
Eminently sensible, if you were traveling from Kings Norton to town by train you would certainly go via Bournville, to Pineapple you would most likely jump on an 11 bus so that only leaves Moseley and Kings Heath as probable destinations.

Camp Hill line had a mention in yesterday's prime minister's questions; local MP suggesting that the route should be extended to Longbridge.
Eminently sensible, if you were traveling from Kings Norton to town by train you would certainly go via Bournville, to Pineapple you would most likely jump on an 11 bus so that only leaves Moseley and Kings Heath as probable destinations.
There would certainly be more facilities for reversing the train at Longbridge as I understand the plan at the moment is to reverse the train in Platform 4 at Kings Norton which could cause conflict with the Redditch and Bromsgrove trains. They will certainly need to do something before they restore the 6 trains per hour on the Cross City Line. Of course bringing the centre platforms at Kings Norton back into use must be a possibility in the future.

At one point there was something about the new line linking in to the existing one at University station forming a loop. Has that gone now?

Back