• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Convalescent Home

T

teulu

2.jpg

Trying to home in in Mosley (assume Moseley) Conval Home. Photo front is battered pic of soldiers including my Grandfather.

1.jpg

Is it reasonable to assume (based on your military hospital thread) that this Conval Home ought to be one of :-

Moor Green Hall
Moor Green House
Highbury
The Dingle
Moseley Hall

Are there any I can discount ? Any that I have listed in error or omitted.

Do records exist of patients at these institutions circa August 1916 ?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Hi Teulu,welcome to the forum,it's a pity the photo is damaged so badly,it may have been possible to identify the location by the background.
You can also add Sorrento Hospital and Uffculme to your list as possible locations in the Moseley area
Moseley Hall Hospital was a children's convalescent hospital prior to being used as a VAD hospital,could that be a clue??????
Can you post any further details name,number,regiment etc. you never know on this site.

Colin

Before the war Allen (gibbo2005 ) as a child, was taken to Moseley Hall to convalesce after having double pneumonia, I doubt if he remembers much about it though, he was only about 4 years old. E.

Can you post any further details name,number,regiment etc. you never know on this site.
Colin

Thank you Colin for the welcome.

Aah now if only I knew his regiment and number ! I have been researching my grandfather William Moran in all sorts of directions.

He would have been 19 / 20 in August 1916. He convalesced sufficently to turn up in Palestine in late 1917 and to be discharged from the RASC in October 1922.

Whether he was in the ASC / RASC for all his army days I do not know.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area. Maybe WW1 would have been appropriate.

Regards

Re: Mosley Conval Home

My home was Moseley Hall from Jan to September 1946 having been transfered from the Children's in Lady wood Road

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/3272864556/"]Moseley Hall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3272864556_3fce2be6dd.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@3272864556@@AMEPARAM@@3fce2be6dd[/ame]

Just a thought but is your grandfather wearing his badge in the photograph?

Although the soldiers wore the same uniform when in hospital, most put their badge on the. I was able to identify my great uncle's regiment with a large magnifying glass.

Best wishes Sue

If he lived in Birmingham, would he be on the absentee electoral role for 1918? If he was that would give his regiment, wouldn't it? Just a thought

An image of the house in 1904. Some details of its use over time and a link to a YouTube film taken in the house grounds. Viv.

EE76E526-5D58-40D1-BEBE-A65E02880FEB.jpeg

Attachments

• AB0B57A6-97EB-420E-985B-27E6B57AE4A4.jpeg
    AB0B57A6-97EB-420E-985B-27E6B57AE4A4.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4
2.jpg

Trying to home in in Mosley (assume Moseley) Conval Home. Photo front is battered pic of soldiers including my Grandfather.

1.jpg

Is it reasonable to assume (based on your military hospital thread) that this Conval Home ought to be one of :-

Moor Green Hall
Moor Green House
Highbury
The Dingle
Moseley Hall

Are there any I can discount ? Any that I have listed in error or omitted.

Do records exist of patients at these institutions circa August 1916 ?

Thanks for any help you can offer
Moseley hall hospital is still there to this day

Hi Teulu,welcome to the forum,it's a pity the photo is damaged so badly,it may have been possible to identify the location by the background.
You can also add Sorrento Hospital and Uffculme to your list as possible locations in the Moseley area
Moseley Hall Hospital was a children's convalescent hospital prior to being used as a VAD hospital,could that be a clue??????

Colin
Sorrento hospital was a maternity hospital it is now closed down in 1993and demolished it was made into a retirement homes the front part was ,the ante natal part which was on Anderson park road was demolished last year it's just rubble now .

Sorrento hospital was a maternity hospital it is now closed down in 1993and demolished it was made into a retirement homes the front part was ,the ante natal part which was on Anderson park road was demolished last year it's just rubble now .

I was born at the Sorrento, 18th June 1954, I don't remember it much but with my mum having lived in Park Hill and my dad the same and in Church Road too it still meant something driving past it most days, lots of old Moseley now gone to rubble including our old family homes at 9a and 11a Park Hill, its called progress, those 2 houses are retirement homes now, just one of those things...

Hi I was born at this hospital on 19th February 1988vi am looking for people who were born on the same day with learning disabilities as I would love to chat with them

Back