• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morvans Scales

Tammie

proper brummie kid
I am looking for any links to Bryan Morvan who was a Scales Manufacturer and lived in Sutton in 1901, I think he sold out to Avery and made a few bob!:redface: .

His name was Byron George William Morvan birth registered birmingham December 1862
1901 in highbridge road Sutton with wife Kate and daughter Kate who on the 1891 is listed as Elsie Kate.
Banbury street, Birmingham
George morvan age 40 Weigh machine Maker
Elizabeth 43
Byron age 18 Scale maker
Lizzie 15 Warehouse girl. all b. birmingham

Byron married Kate Betts in 1887 possibly a relative from his mothers side as George married Elizabeth Betts in 1861.

Morvans/Betts

Thanks Alberta that's helped a lot... seems there were a lot of arranged marriages in our family.

Morvans/Betts

Thanks that was brilliant also links with midland railway are a bit clearer

Morvan/Betts

Hi,

I am a direct decendant of Arthur Richard Morvan, brother of George Morvan. I have photo copies of the family bible of Richard, George's father, in which the birth of George is recorded. I have all the details down from Arthur and a few up from George if you want to contact me.

John

Hello Tammie,

I am also interested in the Morvan's as I believe that they might be distantly related to me. I have Richard Morvan c1815 marrying Matilda Bentley in 1837. Their children were George, Ellen Matilda & Arthur Richard. George later married Elizabeth Betts and their 2 children were Byron (mentioned by another poster) and Lizzie Victoria. Ellen appears not to have married and Arthur married Alice Allen and had 5 children.
I believe that my connection to the family is through Matilda Bentley. I believe that she might be the sister of my GGG Grandfather Joseph however I have no proof of this. Both claim via the census that they were born in the same location (Yardley) plus Matilda was a witness at the marriage of Joseph in 1836, so she seems likely to be either his sister or a close relative.
I have tried the family search website where I found Matilda (but not Joseph) but can think of no other way of confirming the relationship. If anyone is a direct descendant of the Morvan's and happens to have any information pertaining to Matilda I'd love to hear from you.

Sandra

I am looking for any links to Bryan Morvan who was a Scales Manufacturer and lived in Sutton in 1901, I think he sold out to Avery and made a few bob!:redface: .

The 1841 census shows the older members of the Morvan family with an Avery family living next door. Have a look at the Duddeston and Nechells sub district then Birmingham hundred. The Morvan's are incorrectly spelled as Mowan.

Re: Morvan/Betts

Hi,

I am a direct decendant of Arthur Richard Morvan, brother of George Morvan. I have photo copies of the family bible of Richard, George's father, in which the birth of George is recorded. I have all the details down from Arthur and a few up from George if you want to contact me.

John

Hello John,

Do you happen to have records of the parents, Richard and Matilda? I think that Matilda might be connected to my GGG Grandfather Joseph Bentley. I'd love to hear from you.

Sandra

I am historian at St Michael's Church, Boldmere. I write monthly an article in the Parish Magazine about an individual buried in our historic churchyard. While looking for suitable candidates, which often is quite difficult I came across the grave of Byron George William MORVAN, his wife Kate and their infant son George who died aged 4 months old in 1893. I believe this is the same person you were looking for and hope you are still interested?. Please get in touch if you have any other information. I have attached a photo of the grave stone which is quite a grand monument to the family and in very good condition.

Attachments

• Morvan Grave 2.jpg
    Morvan Grave 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your information. Tammie does not seem to have been on the forum for some years, but is still a member and hopefully may see your message

Back