• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mortimer Dent

Barbinoz

master brummie
Hi everyone, I've just found out some new information about a 2nd cousin and his wife, Richard Jones and Evelyn M Dent.
They married in 1946 and she was the daughter of Mortimer Dent who had a string of Picture Theatres in and around the Birmingham.
The info I have (verbally) is that the family lived in a mansion on it's own estate in Edgbaston, maybe Hagley Rd. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Dent family at all.
Thank you for your time
Barb

In 1940 he is listed as living at 13 Westbourne Road Edgbaston. These are all large detached houses. If you are on Ancestry there are some family trees for him. The suggestion is he died in 1968 in Hove.

Thank you for that Janice, yes I'm on Ancestry but I only have the basic UK subscription. So that address is great, I looked on Google Earth and the house is very large and well appointed with a big garden, not as grand as my other cousin imagined! I can now show her what it looks like.
I think they must have moved to Hove as his wife died there as well.
Good work, thanks so much for your help!

I think on Ancestry if you search for him you will get to the trees. They come up at the bottom of the results. If not let me know and I will see what I can glean for you. For some reason probates for wills in 1968 are not listed so you might need to search https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Thank you so much Janice I can pass these on to my cousin, I'm sure she'll find them very interesting, she was very fond of Richard Warren (I just realised I've called him Jones!) He was like a big brother to her.
I'd seen the other family trees too, I think they're related to the wife, Doris Fieldhouse. It's amazing what there is to find out about days gone by isn't it?
Sad to see these lovely old buildings in such a state of disrepair.
All the best
Barb

Hi everyone, I've just found out some new information about a 2nd cousin and his wife, Richard Jones and Evelyn M Dent.
They married in 1946 and she was the daughter of Mortimer Dent who had a string of Picture Theatres in and around the Birmingham.
The info I have (verbally) is that the family lived in a mansion on it's own estate in Edgbaston, maybe Hagley Rd. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Dent family at all.
Thank you for your time
Barb
Evelyn was my Great Aunt. 'Uncle Dick' died before I was born, but my father remembers him very fondly.

Hello - Have just read the query which began with an enquiry into Mortimer Dent and the house in Westbourne Road. I have written an article of Dent and would be happy to share the text with anyone interested. I dont think the article will be seeing the light of day as have just found out that someone has a book on Mortimed Dent coming out later this year.
Ned Williams

Back