• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

morris road

Lindiann

:)Hi My name is Linda
Just going through some old photos and found one of a gorgeous lady on the back it says Gladys Layton 1934 22 Morris Road. She is not a relation but my Dad lived at Maryland Avenue Ward End. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Linda. hope you enjoy it here.
May be nothing, but in the 1940 directory (referring to 1939) there is a Mrs Dorothy Ruth Layton at 58 Rymond Road, which is very close to Maryland avenue. the address is not listed in the 1933 directory. No 22 morris Road is not listed either.
Mike

In 1925/30/35/39, Joseph and Susan Elizabeth Layton are at 20 (n.b. not 22) Morris Road, Washwood Heath, according to the electoral roll.
Aubrey, Lillian, Sidney, Norman and Dorothy Jones were at no 22.

Hi Linda,
Just scrowling through this forum and i noticed you mention a Maryland Avenue. My mum grew up on this road, ann Birbeck, her parents were George and Margaret Birbeck lived at 189 Maryland, what is the surname you are interested in, i can ask my mum if she knows anything.
Thanks
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your email. My Dad lived in Maryland Avenue his name was William (Tom/Bill Tyler) with his older sister and husband Nell and Charlie Walker and Albert Tyler there was also Ray Walker his nephew who died at fourteen (he was knocked off his bike). His other sister Ethel and her husband Nat (not sure of surname) lived next door. Ken and Marion Walker my cousins lived there later on. He was born in 1910 and lived in Maryland Avenue until he met my Mother in 1940. I enquired about Morris Road as he passed away in 1972 and always had a photo of his girlfriend in his Wallet, when my Mum died last year we found the photo. On the back it said Gladys Layton 22 Morris Road. According to Mum they were engaged but she died, I have looked on ancestry she was born in 1910 Manchester and died in Grimsby 1939. I wonder if your Mum knew any of them, I don't know the house number but when I visited in the late sixties I remember the house backed onto school playing fields.
Thanks Linda

Back