• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phelan family

j.hirons1

Brummie babby
Does anyone have any information regarding Morris Phelan, a bare knuckle boxer apparently well known in Birmingham, but cannot find any info regarding his career circa 1890/1900?.

I think you may have the wrong period, as the newspaper archives give only one mention of him in the period 1890-1900, and that is as a friend of another boxer who had just died. ( shown below). However , for the period 1860-1869 there are 240 hits (though it is possible that some are for others with the same name)
Sporting life.27.12.1897.jpg

I think you may have the wrong period, as the newspaper archives give only one mention of him in the period 1890-1900, and that is as a friend of another boxer who had just died. ( shown below). However , for the period 1860-1869 there are 240 hits (though it is possible that some are for others with the same name)
View attachment 137953
View attachment 137953
Thank you so much for heading me in the right direction, obviously boxed much earlier than I thought. appears to have been a member of my Phelan family, whose Gt nephew George Phelan was a boxing promoter during the 20/30s in Birmingham.

Looking for information regarding my ancestors, the Phelan or Phalin family, apparently Birmingham boxers and Promoters who started as bare knuckle boxers..

Back