• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morris & Howes Sweet Shop Park Rd Aston

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
Does anyone have memories of my wife's nan's sweet shop on Park Rd near the junction with Victoria Rd. It was there in the 40's and 50's. There was a hairdressers next door to it. People going to football matches at Villa Park used to buy sweets there, and I'm told that when Everton were playing, they used to stock plenty of 'Everton Toffees' !

I'm not very clever at tracing old history, but my late wife's sister going through old family papers found the bill of sale of Morris and Howes sweet shop dated 30th September 1955. The address was 107 Park Road Aston, and she wondered whether anyone on the BHF had information about it.
oldmohawk

Not much help but the 1955 Kellys lists no 107 Park Rd as
107 Howes Chas. Hy. & Mrs. Lydia, tobcensts
While the 1956 Kellys does not list this number

There was a Confection shop at that address from about 1908
Faulkner, Wm Thos, Confr,

Over the next few year there are a number of confectioners till about 1949 there is
Howes (Chas , HY, & Mrs Lydia) & Morris (Mrs Ada) Tobcusts

I'm not very clever at tracing old history, but my late wife's sister going through old family papers found the bill of sale of Morris and Howes sweet shop dated 30th September 1955. The address was 107 Park Road Aston, and she wondered whether anyone on the BHF had information about it.
oldmohawk

Ada_Morris_marriage_to_Bernard_Hipkiss_.jpg
Horsencart - Thanks for your information. Ada Morris was my wife's mother and she married Bernard Hipkiss. A photo of their wedding is shown above.
oldmohawk.

My mother and father Dennis and Olwyn Chapman bought the sweet shop at 107 and I was born there in 1961. Not sure if they purchase it in 1955 but certainly they were there soon after. I'd love to see photos if anyone has any.

My mother and father Dennis and Olwyn Chapman bought the sweet shop at 107 and I was born there in 1961. Not sure if they purchase it in 1955 but certainly they were there soon after. I'd love to see photos if anyone has any.

Hello Josephine - Welcome to the forum.
I have never seen a photo of the shop and I never actually saw the shop.
Here are some links to Park Rd Aston photos on the forum ...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=495387#post495387 Three photos in the post show some shops ....

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38980&p=435828#post435828 The photo is the 7th photo in it's post ....

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=431080#post431080 One photo in the post.

oldmohawk

There was a grocers on the corner, there was a newspaper shop and radio shop opposite. Not too far away was a Drs, the Post Office and Corn Store (pet shop), plus an ice place where you went to get ice to make ice cream in the days before you could freeze you own ice.

Last edited:
I have this photo of Park Road Aston and its showing 120, but not sure whether that is the actual number of the shop though.

Hi ya oldmowhawk
Yes I can recall it very vividly indeed the street the red of both ways as I lived down the block born and bred there
5/92 Lichfield road we the kids of the area used to challenge each other for racing up around the block
The kids of other terraces close to Cromwell terrace where I lived up

There was twenty family's living up there all family's our was the biggest yard and the biggest family
And this is the period you are speaking about other family's of kids we used to race around the block of back to back terraces
Was the sargents from the gully ,gaskins , and fishers Newman's brants cradocks sharps and many more
Always on a Sunday morning or an afternoon pendi g on the weather
Our start line was Aston,s the cake shop right next to the gaskins house on the bottom of the terrace
Run down Lichfield road. To Taylors toy shop around the corner up Victoria road passing Pugh road passing the barbers
And the Victoria road police station up to the junction I could have said the traffic lights but. At that period there was never
Ever traffic lights in those days but a couple of years later I recall them being I stalled
The one picture astoness showed the junction with the shop on the far corner. With the weighing scales out side
The shop. Was of course Buckingham's the chemist which was smartened up and remoderenised
But prior to that it was a very small and old fashioniond chemist with alsorts of mystery objects and all old tradional
Dark. Green and dark blue bottles on all the. Shelfs it was like jekel and Hyde out fit
Then when they put the traffic lights in on the junction about three months later they modernised the shop with bright lights
And larger windows and more up market goods in there windows they never had lights in the windows before
Modernisation and that old penny weigh machine was just inside the shop but it was a very old machine not like the one on display
So on that corner of the four lights so to speak you had Buckingham's the chemist across to the corner of Victoria road was the grocery
And across from there on the oppersite corner was there big sweet shop and cross back over oppersite buchinghams side
Was a pub so if you can get my drift on this set up you would be actually walking in a square
Or if you ain't to sure what I mean there shop was on the second one back from the junction because the last shop to them was a fruit and veg a large shop
Just like there's which was park road and Victoria road it took the corner
Continue a crossing the park rd you would have had the grocery shop on the corner
Cross back to your left to the other side of park road you had Buckingham's which is the other corner of Victoria red and park road

And when you came out of Buckingham's start to cross the road back to the ansells. Brewery there was a pub in white tiles
At the moment I just cannot think of its name but that would have been facing directly your relies shop
And yes its true what they said about the sweets the mints they had more than the other sweets they sold I and my friends used to buy our sweets from there
When we was kids and my oldest brother used to do his paper round for half a crown for the news agent next to the pub
I used to help him but he never shared is half crown,
And may I had just yards from there shop walking back to an sells there was a big church in white stone I cannot recall that name at the moment
But it was an active church every Sunday morning and evening and at week days things went on there
There front entrance e was on park road and the church building stretched right around onto upper Portland street where there was a batch of police houses
Which belonged to the Victoria red police station they had there rear entrance there on upper Portland street
To bring in prisoners and police vehicles plus they had there police horses stabled in there I used to stand and watch through the arch entrance they had
It was a massive grounds and a police station and just down and around the corner from there was the an sells brewery shire horses stables I used to follow them up
From the brewery gates at the end of there shifts
Incidently mowhawk I have to finish on the note to say getting back to the beginning of my story of the racing around the block
And to tell you I was the fasted kid on the block in beatable and that came about me as a tot watching roger banister breaking the four minute mile
Sitting on the floor in Cromwell terrace I emediately took it up as an athlete and I took up the sport of running all my life
And done the competitive racing all over the country best wishes astonian,,,

Here are a couple of grainy photos of 107 (snatched from a VHS copy of a cine film taken on my christening day late summer 1961).

Attachments

• B819FF82-D313-4590-9B93-9755FDECAFE7.jpeg
    B819FF82-D313-4590-9B93-9755FDECAFE7.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 28
  • EF003380-1719-4264-9C22-3987845E60AD.jpeg
    EF003380-1719-4264-9C22-3987845E60AD.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Here are some even grainier (sorry they are the best I have) of the interior of 107 around Christmas time 1961. As it’s a sweet shop predictably there are boxes of chocolates and sweet jars.

Attachments

• 0003ECCE-DE4F-4373-B9C3-674AB680701E.jpeg
    0003ECCE-DE4F-4373-B9C3-674AB680701E.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 922E8D77-997F-4EE9-91EC-46D5E82879FF.jpeg
    922E8D77-997F-4EE9-91EC-46D5E82879FF.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 104F92F4-533D-44E6-AFFB-F0EAD3C2B221.jpeg
    104F92F4-533D-44E6-AFFB-F0EAD3C2B221.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 043DE775-30CC-48FD-A98E-FD875271C840.jpeg
    043DE775-30CC-48FD-A98E-FD875271C840.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
107 isn’t on this photo but it is immediately right of the girl in the bottom right corner of the picture.

Attachments

• 921A9053-DB8C-4B98-AC7F-BB88417C335A.jpeg
    921A9053-DB8C-4B98-AC7F-BB88417C335A.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the pics, you might be interested in a colour version of the last pic here.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ur-old-street-pics.41947/page-127#post-619988
index.php

Last edited:
Phil
Facebook are quick. Posted 11 hours ago. At least they mentioned you and have not deleted the BHF caption

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 687.jpg
    ScreenHunter 687.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 20
Back