• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morris Commercial Vehicles

Hi I am new to this site and have read its contents with great interest.Having been born in Adderley Road at my grandparents house I well remember the Morris Commercial factory,however my interests go a little deeper than that.My father was a fireman at Fisher and Ludlow and I have a photo of their Morris Commercial fire engine.I am also a member of the ambulance Heritage Society and we are at present restoring a cv11 ambulance which we believe was the works ambulance,we are also restoring an LC 5 and hope to have these vehicles on display in the near future.Malcolm

Thank you for replying,I will try and supply photographs.The vehicles are at present located on a farm near Mansfield which is our present HQ,we are hoping to relocate in the near future to a more suitable location.We have 42 vehicles including Daimler dc27's Austin sheerline and Princess and 6 Morris LD's which includes the old works ambulance from Fort Dunlop.Malcolm

the club was top end of rock i worked at morris commercial from 1961 until it closed and moved to rover lode lane which i hated

hi phil i worked next to the sheet metal dept A drive in the wood maintenance shop as a trainee wood machinist under billy marshall from 1961 then we moved to the old 3m's site when they moved out.I remember Eric on the lifts and they had to get the crane to lift him out of a hole he fell in on his way to work

Hi, my dad worked for morris commercial for many years. Frank buddrige was his name. I am trying to find out about the pistol club that he belonged to. I know he went on trips to bisley to shoot against the police. Can anyone help.

Milly i used to go to the pistol club cannot remember names but it used to be at the morris commercial club alum rock they used to run archery as well

Hi,

Back in the 1960's I used to shoot at the Fernbank range at the top of the Rock, and I
remember a chap called Bob (Spider) Webb who worked at the Morris Commercial, and
was also a member there

Kind regards

Dave

Hi, I understand in your post you were asking about a film made at the morris commercial. I have just viewed the film on you tube, in the search I typed " morris commercial film " The film came up in the list at the side. If I am late or you already know about this I am sorry to disturb you. Thanks for reading this...

hi dougmick
do you recall a guy by the name of sqissy squires he was a shop steward at the bordesley green depot
when he finished there he became a club steward at the Hay mills social club on coventry road hay mills
For many years until he died a couple of years ago sadly his wife died they was very close her name was mavis
best wishes Astonian,,,

Hi Astonian
This is David Robbins apprentice at MCC 1958-63. I never thought for one minute MCC would have a website and only came across by accident. I notice the site mentions Alf and Nev but I have happy memories in the training school with Jim Jong who spent hours with me teaching me all aspects of machining especially on the schools Reed-Prentice centre lathe. at the time I was the only non dealership son in the school and Jim had no time for them as they had no future in the factory. My time served in the school I was sent to the machine tool repair west works where I linked up with fellow apprentice Maurice Mulliner who's father Arthur was my Forman. I was best man at Maurice's wedding but sadly lost touch when they emigrated to the USA. I had another close ex apprentice pal Layton Ward. There was also Gordon whom we holidayed together at Bidford the year the Shadows launched Appache. On completion I was transferred to west works extension and worked alongside another ex apprentice Alan Blackmore. In 1964 I married Geraldine and my workmates bought us a state of the art first steel ironing board which Iam please to say is still in weekly use.Does anybody remember. Millwright big snuff taking Stan who ran the archery club? If any get together soon are forthcoming I would wish to be informed and try and make it providing it fits in with my oncology treatment.
Best wishes
David

Last edited:
My Grandfather was forman wood machinist there. He died on the premises, after completing his shift he evidently sat down to change his shoes and was found dead by friends. That was in 1952.
I used to work in the wood machine shop on the other side came under maintenance in 1961 when left school at 15 was under billy marshall

Astonian, It was Pathe. but they amalgamated with other companies like Gaumont. I think the bloke in charge was Mr Fullilove or Mr Fulliforce.
Mr Bibb was apprentice supervisor, Alf was foreman Neville Kershaw was leading hand but he went on to be apprentice superviser. I am a life member of the Apprentices Association.
I was working at SU Carbs when there was a fire in East Works, the local people entered MCC and wheeled vehicles out to save them from the fire. A lot of locals worked at MCC of course.
They had a fantastic club for employees in Ward End I think. One night at an apprentices annual dinner, some older apprentices jacked up Mr Bibbs car and took the wheels off. He had an MG sedan. This Forum site is bringing back many memories of things I had forgotton, it is nearly 50 years since I left.
Allways used to start drinking in mmc club up the top of the rock we used to come out cross road and have fish and chips from steves chip shop then pub crawled all down rock and ended up at the tilt hammer at the gate this was early 60s when i worked at mmc

Hi Astonian
This is David Robbins apprentice at MCC 1958-63. I never thought for one minute MCC would have a website and only came across by accident. I notice the site mentions Alf and Nev but I have happy memories in the training school with Jim Jong who spent hours with me teaching me all aspects of machining especially on the schools Reed-Prentice centre lathe. at the time I was the only non dealership son in the school and Jim had no time for them as they had no future in the factory. My time served in the school I was sent to the machine tool repair west works where I linked up with fellow apprentice Maurice Mulliner who's father Arthur was my Forman. I was best man at Maurice's wedding but sadly lost touch when they emigrated to the USA. I had another close ex apprentice pal Layton Ward. There was also Gordon whom we holidayed together at Bidford the year the Shadows launched Appache. On completion I was transferred to west works extension and worked alongside another ex apprentice Alan Blackmore. In 1964 I married Geraldine and my workmates bought us a state of the art first steel ironing board which Iam please to say is still in weekly use.Does anybody remember. Millwright big snuff taking Stan who ran the archery club? If any get together soon are forthcoming I would wish to be informed and try and make it providing it fits in with my oncology treatment.
Best wishes
David
I remember doing Archery was this Stan the same one who done pistol shooting as well i used to do both in early 60s

My partner's father worked at the Morris Commercial for years ( 50s-60s ). His name is Alfred Vann, he was a keen snooker player. His name is on a lot of trophy's which were on display in the commercial social club. What ever happened to those trophy's I wonder...

Hi all, my dad was a draughtsman at Adderley Park between around 1960 and 1971 - Les Seale. He moved to Longbridge in around 1971 and then Drews Lane from where he retired in '92. Sadly, he died in 2007 but a couple of the names mentioned by Dave are familiar. Just wondered if anyone might remember him. As a child I also remember going to a couple of the Christmas parties - although not sure where they were held. I seem to remember the film "Genevive" being shown at one of them ...
Regards to all
Carol Seale
Hi Carol xmas parties used to be at the club top of rock

Hi all, my dad was a draughtsman at Adderley Park between around 1960 and 1971 - Les Seale. He moved to Longbridge in around 1971 and then Drews Lane from where he retired in '92. Sadly, he died in 2007 but a couple of the names mentioned by Dave are familiar. Just wondered if anyone might remember him. As a child I also remember going to a couple of the Christmas parties - although not sure where they were held. I seem to remember the film "Genevive" being shown at one of them ...
Regards to all
Carol Seale
Hi Carol xmas parties used to be at the club top of rock

My partner's father worked at the Morris Commercial for years ( 50s-60s ). His name is Alfred Vann, he was a keen snooker player. His name is on a lot of trophy's which were on display in the commercial social club. What ever happened to those trophy's I wonder...
Name sounds familiar im 71 now forgot a lot of names but still have great memories of working there from 61 and going to rover when it closed

Hi Astonian
Best wishes
David
I too, served my apprenticeship at "The Morris" 1955 to 1960 and then spent a couple of years in the Experimental Dept., doing test bed development of the diesels, before moving to SU Carburettors doing test bed development of petrol engines. Returned to Adderley Park and worked in Quality Audit Dept., spent about 13 years at "The Morris" all told - a very friendly, place to work. Nev Kelsall transferred to Common Lane when the factory closed working in the Personnel Dept., but sadly, Nev passed away about 5-6 years ago.

I'm a bit late seeing this thread but I had a very short spell in the accounts office (Purchase Ledger I think) in the late 60's /early 70's.

I'd moved away from home in Clipston Road to Shropshire but jobs were a bit hard to find and was thinking of moving back.

All the work that I can remember doing was still hand written, most abiding memory is that we used to wander off to a canteen at the end of the same floor for bacon or sausage sandwiches and the like at break time.

It seemed as though most of the vehicles at that time were Post Office contracts although no doubt there were others.
I lived near enough to walk back to Mom's where I was staying at the time and seem to remember being tucked up snug in bed quite late one night with the radio on and hearing that some people were still stuck in Brum Town Centre because of snow, wonder what year that was.

Slightly off topic, I used to go to Central Grammar when it was in Cherrywood Road and for one of our art lessons we where taken down to the waste ground opposite the Morris and had to draw and paint the view towards the middle of Brum, I was useless at art in those days so nothing to show for it but wish I could go back for another go now that I am rather better. I have found a photo from about the 60's with the side of the Morris, the railway line and the distant bits and bobs to have a go at before too long.

Best Regards
SandyBrook

I'm a bit late seeing this thread but I had a very short spell in the accounts office (Purchase Ledger I think) in the late 60's /early 70's.

I'd moved away from home in Clipston Road to Shropshire but jobs were a bit hard to find and was thinking of moving back.

All the work that I can remember doing was still hand written, most abiding memory is that we used to wander off to a canteen at the end of the same floor for bacon or sausage sandwiches and the like at break time.

It seemed as though most of the vehicles at that time were Post Office contracts although no doubt there were others.
I lived near enough to walk back to Mom's where I was staying at the time and seem to remember being tucked up snug in bed quite late one night with the radio on and hearing that some people were still stuck in Brum Town Centre because of snow, wonder what year that was.

Slightly off topic, I used to go to Central Grammar when it was in Cherrywood Road and for one of our art lessons we where taken down to the waste ground opposite the Morris and had to draw and paint the view towards the middle of Brum, I was useless at art in those days so nothing to show for it but wish I could go back for another go now that I am rather better. I have found a photo from about the 60's with the side of the Morris, the railway line and the distant bits and bobs to have a go at before too long.

Best Regards
SandyBrook
SandyBrook,
Mr Mason was the Chief Accountant, and a couple of names in the Purchase Accounts Dept, were Powell and Charlton, but I never had any dealings with that side of the company. We were the biggest supplier of vans to the GPO in the UK, so that is why you saw a lot of orders involving Post Office vehicles.
The canteen did make some nice sandwiches, but their bread and butter pudding was really something - I used to take it home for my Mom!!
Best wishes,
Boomy

Back