• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morris Commercial Vehicles

My father worked at the Morris Commercial factory in the 50's his name was Harold Brittain. My mom and auntie ran the Cafe on Adderley Road at Saltley Gate. I remember the social club on Alum Rock, where I used to sing on the stage Sunday nights for thruppence. The family moved to Brighton in1961, but I can still remember those Christmas parties at the club, happy days...

Jetty Man .. My dad worked at the Morris commercial too . Adderley rd . I think in the late 50s and early 60s till it closed .
I too used to sing on the stage for thruppence and the nice man with a pipe used to stand at one end of the stage . I think I used to sing the good old Elvis number .. 'Ab Yoo eber Bin yonely '
Thats 3 years old language :)
My dad was called Harry Payton . I loved the parties too . Back in the day when Working for a big Car firm was a way of life and you were treated with respect .
Happy days :)

Dave .. My dad did the same as you and worked at the Morris Adderley rd from late 50s right through to the end but he worked on the Track and he also went to Longbridge ..
My dad played for the footie team thought . Harry Payton was his name :)
I Miss him now RIP

Can any one remember a major fire about 1963-64 it was on the Bordesley Green Rd side behind the station I was an Electrical Apprentice at the time and I was called to site one weekend to replace major cables that had been burnt out there must have been about 30 of us working flat out to get production up and running again. Dek

hi dek
I Think you are slightly off track there next to the station on bordesly green rd was the postans paint factory was burt to the ground
it was the paint factory that gutted the electrics of the inside the grounds of the paint factory and the other units of factory bussiness that was behind the factory
as you drtove into the paint factory exit into the grounds there was other factory bussinesses as i recall i went there afew times in my youth of days as i worked for dyno rod in the early days of setting up bussiness in palmston rd sparkbrook for charle baker and his partner in bussiness i remember the fire as well but i was not on site at the time and it was in the afternoon
the fire broke out and you can see pictures and story line in the back issues of the birmingham mail at the libary best wishes astonian

Hi dek and fellow members
just a slight amendment to my last post and put my record straight before some one picks up on it
i said on my last thread the fire was postans paint in fact it was holdens paint on bordesly green rd and not as i have just previously said thanks guys astonian

Astonian you are right regards the fire at Holdens but there was also one at the Morris Commercial in the factory the other side of the station on what is now the Bordesley Trading Estate. Dek

Re:John Horridge

I wondered if anyone remembers my Dad, John Horridge who worked at Morris Commercial from around 1938 to 1970. He was a production clerk and was often on the shop floor stock taking making sure no-one was short of parts. During the war, at the "old" age of 30, against everyone's advice, he packed up the desk job and joined the RAF, trained in Canada for a year then flew in a Halifax as bomb aimer. Years later, but before he died, we found a book showing Luftwaffe targets and there was a white cross marking their target right over his old office! So he wasn't so daft after all. He used to run an old 30 cwt Parcels Van (Morris PV) he converted into a caravan. It would be great to hear from anyone who worked with him in those days.

Jon Horridge

Astonian, It was Pathe. but they amalgamated with other companies like Gaumont. I think the bloke in charge was Mr Fullilove or Mr Fulliforce.
Mr Bibb was apprentice supervisor, Alf was foreman Neville Kershaw was leading hand but he went on to be apprentice superviser. I am a life member of the Apprentices Association.
I was working at SU Carbs when there was a fire in East Works, the local people entered MCC and wheeled vehicles out to save them from the fire. A lot of locals worked at MCC of course.
They had a fantastic club for employees in Ward End I think. One night at an apprentices annual dinner, some older apprentices jacked up Mr Bibbs car and took the wheels off. He had an MG sedan. This Forum site is bringing back many memories of things I had forgotton, it is nearly 50 years since I left.

Hi, My name is Phil Price. You mention Neville Kershaw as a leading hand in training.

I started my apprenticeship at MCC Ltd on 4th Sept. 1967 I was originally interviewed by Pat Collins (Training Foreman) and a Mr Evans (Superintendent). There was another foreman there, much older than Pat, his Name was Alf Heard. There was also Tom Higgins .

Neville Kelsall was then the Training Manager. The Factory Director was Mr. Toll a very tall, yellow haired imposing man.

My Dad worked at "The Morris" His name was Ted Price. He was a sheet metal worker in the Experimental Dept. which was located at the bottom end of A Drive in the main factrory. I know this because I also worked there as an apprentice from 1967 until late 1971 where I was moved to Drews Lane Transmissions plant. Dad was made redundant in around 1970 which was probably all part of the closure process.
Things I can remember clearly are the shop halfway along A drive where you could buy all sorts of items, It was opposite No.1 Machine Shop. I remember Eric, who operated the lift in A Drive. Joe, Toilet attendant in A Drive (at the Arden Road end)
I remember being told of the fire in 1964. All production moved from the East Works into the West Works in a record time and they were more productive afterards. I also remember the Fire Station in the East Works. It was full of awards and there pride & joy was the Austin Gypsy fire tender
When I started there, there was the Minor 1000 van and it's derivatives, J2 JU, J4 LD. The EA was just coming into production and it was a dismal failure in sales as I remember. When the Morris Marina was launched, they moved the Morris 1000 Traveller to Adderly Park to enable production in Cowley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote--- I remember being told of the fire in 1964.

Hello I was a Contracting Electrical Apprentice at the time of the fire we were called in on the Saturday morning and worked all weekend including nights to install the power for Monday morning.I never returned to that site although I did use their club quite often.Also worked at Drews Lane and Common Lane. Dek

Morris Comercial Gypsy Fire Engine.jpg MorrisComercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg Morri Comercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg MorrisComercial Fire Brigade&Management 1963.jpg CFO.Joe Boden.JPG B.D.I.F.B.A. Badge.jpg BDIFBAhatbadge.jpg BDIFBAhatbadge.jpg B.D.I.F.B.A. Badge.jpg Morris Comercial Gypsy Fire Engine.jpg MorrisComercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg Morri Comercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg MorrisComercial Fire Brigade&Management 1963.jpg CFO.Joe Boden.JPG B.D.I.F.B.A. Badge.jpg BDIFBAhatbadge.jpg B.D.I.F.B.A. Badge.jpg BDIFBAhatbadge.jpg [Morris Comercial Gypsy Fire Engine.jpg MorrisComercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg Morri Comercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg MorrisComercial Fire Brigade&Management 1963.jpg CFO.Joe Boden.JPG View attachment 118372 View attachment 118373 View attachment 118372 View attachment 118372 View attachment 118373 View attachment 118373 Morris Comercial Gypsy Fire Engine.jpg MorrisComercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg Morri Comercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg MorrisComercial Fire Brigade&Management 1963.jpg CFO.Joe Boden.JPG Morris Comercial Gypsy Fire Engine.jpg MorrisComercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg Morri Comercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpg MorrisComercial Fire Brigade&Management 1963.jpg CFO.Joe Boden.JPG Hi Phil, My dad worked in the MCC Fire Brigade, here are some pics. First one is of the Austin Gypsy Fire Engine outside of East works after the Fire, the fireman on the left is my dad Leading Fireman
Joe Boden and Peter Tooze, Following 2 pictures showing some of the fire damage. Pic 3 is of some of MCC firemen with top management celebrating trophies won at the Birmingham & District Industrial Fire Brigades Association fire drill competions. Front row sitting left to right Peter Tooze, .(my dad Joe Boden.) Pony Pritchard (john), Cyril Taylor, Peter Glyn and far end sitting Johnny Glyn…...Far back middle Ted Massey. Pic 5 ..Later years C.F.O. Joe Boden.

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]Morris Comercial Gypsy Fire Engine.jpgMorrisComercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpgMorri Comercial EastWorks Fire 1964.jpgMorrisComercial Fire Brigade&Management 1963.jpgCFO.Joe Boden.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Rover,
Please learn how to upload pictures or send via email please. I would love to see them especially the one with Pony Pritchard on. He was a nutcase with a heart of gold and he used to tenpin bowl with us at Wylde Green and later at Acocks Green. A lot of people went to work at Drews Lane from Adderley Park, some of whom were bowlers, Brian and Lynette Butler and Pony, Tommy and Sandra Jennings, Ken Rainey, Milford Blakelock,, George ???? (tool buyer with a squint). Does anyone know their whereabouts these days? Terry Flower I know still works at Drews Lane I have some pictures of the bowlers. I met my wife there in 1971 and married her in 1975.

hi guys
many thanks for all your inserts on the forum about the commercial;
my old friend sqizza has we called was a shop steward there many many years
when he left he took on the hay mills social club ;
but i have recently learnt that he as since diedfrom my last input he was the steward for many many years
he was one hell of a character best wishes astonian

Hi all, my dad was a draughtsman at Adderley Park between around 1960 and 1971 - Les Seale. He moved to Longbridge in around 1971 and then Drews Lane from where he retired in '92. Sadly, he died in 2007 but a couple of the names mentioned by Dave are familiar. Just wondered if anyone might remember him. As a child I also remember going to a couple of the Christmas parties - although not sure where they were held. I seem to remember the film "Genevive" being shown at one of them ...
Regards to all
Carol Seale

Hi Richard
Thank you so much for replying - and for your kind words about my dad. He was a lovely man - and a great dad - and is very much missed by us all. I did know quite a few names of people he worked with along the way but I have a feeling they may have been from earlier times than Drews Lane. Names that spring to mind - Bob Steenton (think he was at Drews Lane although was definitely at Longbridge too), Jim Latham (not sure he made it to Drews Lane), Frank Neville, John Brown, John Freeman. I'll see if I can think of a few others.
With thanks again.
Carol

Hi Carol,
Your dad's name does ring a distant bell. Do you have any photos of him circa 1971 when I too went off to Longbridge (Flight Shed).

Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm sure I can sort out a photo of him from around that time. Whether I can figure out how to attach it here is another question though! Will do my best in the next few days or so.
Thanks again.
Carol

My father worked at the Morris Commercial factory in the 50's his name was Harold Brittain. My mom and auntie ran the Cafe on Adderley Road at Saltley Gate. I remember the social club on Alum Rock, where I used to sing on the stage Sunday nights for thruppence. The family moved to Brighton in1961, but I can still remember those Christmas parties at the club, happy days...

Hi Jetty man ..
My dad too worked at the Morris Commercial and His Name was Harry Payton .. or Acka .. I remember very well Sunday nights .. I was 3 years old and had to sing on the stage .. 'Ab Yu Ebber Bin Lonely ' Or translated was 'Have you ever been Lonely , Have you ever been blue ' I think there was a nice man at the side of the stage .. ''Uncle Jim ?'' Who gave us Thruppence . My little brother once got his foot stuck in one of the little square holes on the dance floor . Gosh this has to be 52 years ago nor .. scary isnt it . I wonder if he Knew my dad ?
Fond Memories Jetty Man
Regards Jean x

Hi Jetty man ..
My dad too worked at the Morris Commercial and His Name was Harry Payton .. or Acka .. I remember very well Sunday nights .. I was 3 years old and had to sing on the stage .. 'Ab Yu Ebber Bin Lonely ' Or translated was 'Have you ever been Lonely , Have you ever been blue ' I think there was a nice man at the side of the stage .. ''Uncle Jim ?'' Who gave us Thruppence . My little brother once got his foot stuck in one of the little square holes on the dance floor . Gosh this has to be 52 years ago nor .. scary isnt it . I wonder if he Knew my dad ?
Fond Memories Jetty Man
Regards Jean x

Back