• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Morris/Binloss marriage.

senoraruz

master brummie
Please could someone give me the details of the marriage between John Morris & Margaret Binloss 14.7.1840 St Martin, in particular, fathers names & whether either of them was widowed.

Marion

John Morris, full age, widower, carrier, Studley, father: John Morris, farmer
Margaret Bindleys, full age, widow,Digbeth, father: John Thornecroft, famer [Maragaret's name does look like this, but signature looks like Bindloss]

Married after Banns
Mark of John Morris
Signature of Margaret Binloss
Witnesses: Robert Powell & Elizabeth Parsons

Send me an IM with you email address if you want a copy for your records

Thanks very much Leslam.
That´s saved me a tenner. They are actually related through a cousin´s family & we have both given ourselves severe headaches looking for a birth for Margaret Bindloss until it occurred to me that she could have been married before.
Happy to say we have now found her & her parents. Her 1st marriage remains elusive.
Thanks for the offer of the image. Don´t really need it now that we have the info.
Marion

I've looked through St Martin's records and and I can't spot her under Thorneycroft/Thornecroft/Thornicroft. It could be a long trawl as if they married before Sept 1837 (which is quite possible), you 'll have to rely on parish records. The fact that her father is shown as a farmer could quite possibly mean that she wasn't living in Birmingham prior to her first marriage....

What are her parents called and where were they living in 1841? This might help identify where to look for her first marriage.

She wasn´t from Birmingham Leslam. On the 1851 census she & John Morris are living in Studley & she says she was born Congleton, Cheshire.
Have found her baptism 7.11.1805 to John Thornecroft & his 2nd wife Amy Potts in Gawsworth which is betweem Congleton & Macclesfield. The surname Bindloss is familiar to me as it was common in Kendal /Lancaster where I used to live, but don´t think it´s very common further south. Not having a christian name for him doesn´t help & they were almost certainly married before civil registration as were John Morris & his 1st wife.
Think I have John sorted . His 1st wife was probably Elizabeth Court from Studley because in 1851 John & Margaret´s daughter Clara was a nurse child to an Elizabeth Court who I think was John´s 1st mother in law & John & Margaret had a lodger Thomas Court who I think was in fact his ex brother in law.
Have found a John Thorncroft in 1841 living Deritend with wife Eliza & two little sons. He could be Margaret´s brother.
Lots more digging to do.
Marion

Back