• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

More information on William Egan and Mary A Healy

Amyhill

proper brummie kid
Hi,

I am looking for information on a William Egan. Dates of birth and death is unknown.
His daughter, Mary A Healy born 1877, married a James Lawlor in Dublin 1900 on the 11th February. She was made a widow and later married a George Healy on the 24th June 1912. She passed away in Birmingham, 1952 at the age of 82. She was registered on the 1945 electorol roll as living at 4 Osborn Place, along with her son in law Alexander George Steward born July 1916, his mother Margaret Ryan born 1877 in Bermondsey and his wife Mary Josephine steward previously Healy.
Other then the above, we know nothing else about this side of the family, Mary A Healy would be my grandads Nan. He briefly remembers small details but would be amazing to trace this back and give him some more information on the family. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

MWS

master brummie
Unfortunately there are not as many records for Irish ancestors as there are for UK.

However, on the 1901 census Mary's birthplace is listed as Irishtown, which is part of Dublin. Doesn't help trying to find her birth though as there are a lot of Mary Egans.

MWS

master brummie
Might have found a likely candidate for Mary.

On her marriage to James Lawlor one of the witnesses is a Sarah Egan and there is a Sarah Egan aged 17 living in the same area of Dublin as Mary in 1901.

There is then a marriage for a Sarah Egan to a John Lawlor (James's brother) in 1903. One of the witnesses is Mary Lawlor. Sarah's father is also listed as William but instead of a Labourer, he's listed as a Butcher.

There is a birth registration for a Mary Ann Egan in 1878 Dublin, father William Egan mother Eliza Doyle. William is listed as a Butcher's Porter.

There is also a birth registration for a Sarah Egan in 1882 Dublin, father William Egan mother Lizzie Doyle. William is listed as a Burcher's Porter.

Amyhill

proper brummie kid
How amazing, I can’t thank you enough for all of this help! Do you happen to know the dates of births or when they passed and ages for Eliza and William?
I really do appreciate your help, so interesting to learn.
im new to all of this but I see you mentioned William listed as a butcher, how do I find out jobs for the others in our family tree? I’m keen to have it as detailed as possible and to be able to go as far back as I can. Thank you again!

MWS

master brummie
No more details (date-wise) for William & Eliza.

You can usually find a person's job on birth certificates (father), weddng certficates (bride, groom and fathers) and censuses.