• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

More date queries

sez

master brummie
Thanks to everyones help on the wedding picture I uploaded earlier...not to bog everyone day (or get myself too confused) but here are the other photos we know nothing about.

1. unknown couple 2- have no idea who, when or where this was taken. Image attached to dark green card. No details- printed or written anywhere on photo.

2. unknown girl. Do not know who she is. Photo by L&WE Baker. North light studio. 220 Deritend Bridge. Birmingham. Printed on pale cream/gray card. Symbol for photographer is a B in a gold design. No other details.

3. unknown lady. Photo by L&WE Baker 220 Deritend Birmingham. Printed on Dark green and pale green card. Silver text. No other details although we believe this lady appears in my previous post of the wedding.

4. unknown couple- I believe this is my great great grandparents from Germany. Someone previously suggested it was c.1890 and an engagement photograph, however they would have had children by this stage and would be married (unsure or year) and moved to birmingham from Germany by 1894 as their third child was born in Birmingham this year.

Sorry to bombard you all, but any comments would be greatly recieved.

1. Very striking couple, particularly the lady. Maculine collar, tie and boater yet still tightly corseted. Tight lacing was fashionable in the 1890s, and large sleeves helped to emphasise tiny waists. Tight leather gloves and parasol. Pity we cannot see her feet. c1895-1901 Her tie pin MAY be sufferagette

2 & 3. Same photographic studio and similar prop. I'd guess they are all of a similar period

4. The German couple of course. Hard to date but probably 1875-1881

From Kellys:
1888 Birchley Mrs. Esther,photographer, 220 High St Deritend

1890-1956 Baker, L & W.E.( Louisa & Walter Egerton). Photographers 220 High St Deritend
So not much help

Hello Sez, we seem to have a rush of old photos..I luve 'em.

The one of the German couple I find interesting. Taken by C.Domzig of Sorau,25 Bahnhoffe Strasse. ( I think it means Raliway Station Street ). Sorau was in Germany until 1945 when it became part of Poland. Here is a postcard of part of Bahnhoffe Strassehttps://

www.prussianpoland.com/sorau2.jpg

Back