• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

More Concrete Does Birmingham Need It ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's another block going up on Broad St/Ryland St , 35storey this one . Thinking back to the 60's the highest item around that area was the clock at five ways , that was in the dark and distant past or was it ?

I'm frankly annoyed about some of the comments about tower blocks on here, I actually live in one and I love it. They have changed a lot since the 1970s, most of the blocks that remain have had a lot of money spent on them, where I live, we had completely new lifts installed, two lifts in our block and they were replaced one at a time, at no time were we left without a lift.

Our balconies were covered over and made part of the kichen, I sit in my kitchen in the morning and drink my coffee looking out of the window and can see as far as Clent Hills, from my living room I can see as far as Wolverhampton.

we have a nice community in the block, people talk to each other, and have helped each other during the lockdown, I had neighbours checking I was ok, because they hadn't seen me out with my dog. We have a private communal garden which has been great and well used during the lockdown.

As others have said, if we don't build in the City Centre, it will stagnate and companies and people won't want to come to Birmingham, things will get worse for the people who currently live here.

Birmingham has one of the youngest population in the country, because of the Universities, we need to keep those young, vibrant people here, keeping Birmingham at the forefront of technical advances. Also a lot of people come now for city breaks to enjoy all Birmingham can offer,that brings money and jobs into our local economy, which helps the people of the city.

After all the motto of Birmingham is "Forward" and with the Commonwealth Games and HS2 coming to the city new apartments will be needed.

Maybe because I'm a fair bit younger than most on here, I see the whole argument differently.

I'm proud to come from Smethwick and have the Second City of this country on my doorstep to enjoy.

I'm sorry if my comments offend anyone, but I see a lot of frankly unkind comments about modern life here, history didn't stop 60 years ago, it carried on, and will carry on long after we have all gone and I'm afraid the city has changed since I was a young person and will carry on changing and I'm looking forward to see what happens in the coming years, especially with the amazing renovations that have been done round the Colmore Row area.

Thank you for your comments Smethwickgirl. It’s interesting to hear of your modern day, first hand experience of living in a tower block. And glad you’re enjoying your home. It’s especially heartwarming to hear about the community spirit you have around you.

Many members will have had, like you, a very positive experience of living in a tower block, but for a few it will have been less positive. As you suggest, this may be partly due to drawing on experience going back many years.

So it’s good to hear of another perspective of high rise living today. Thank you for contributing.

Viv.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget the many people who are living in tower blocks and are living in fear of another Grenfell. Dangerous cladding still present, faced with astronomical bills.

I'm frankly annoyed about some of the comments about tower blocks on here, I actually live in one and I love it. They have changed a lot since the 1970s, most of the blocks that remain have had a lot of money spent on them, where I live, we had completely new lifts installed, two lifts in our block and they were replaced one at a time, at no time were we left without a lift.

Our balconies were covered over and made part of the kichen, I sit in my kitchen in the morning and drink my coffee looking out of the window and can see as far as Clent Hills, from my living room I can see as far as Wolverhampton.

we have a nice community in the block, people talk to each other, and have helped each other during the lockdown, I had neighbours checking I was ok, because they hadn't seen me out with my dog. We have a private communal garden which has been great and well used during the lockdown.

As others have said, if we don't build in the City Centre, it will stagnate and companies and people won't want to come to Birmingham, things will get worse for the people who currently live here.

Birmingham has one of the youngest population in the country, because of the Universities, we need to keep those young, vibrant people here, keeping Birmingham at the forefront of technical advances. Also a lot of people come now for city breaks to enjoy all Birmingham can offer,that brings money and jobs into our local economy, which helps the people of the city.

After all the motto of Birmingham is "Forward" and with the Commonwealth Games and HS2 coming to the city new apartments will be needed.

Maybe because I'm a fair bit younger than most on here, I see the whole argument differently.

I'm proud to come from Smethwick and have the Second City of this country on my doorstep to enjoy.

I'm sorry if my comments offend anyone, but I see a lot of frankly unkind comments about modern life here, history didn't stop 60 years ago, it carried on, and will carry on long after we have all gone and I'm afraid the city has changed since I was a young person and will carry on changing and I'm looking forward to see what happens in the coming years, especially with the amazing renovations that have been done round the Colmore Row area.
as you say time change,i am glad you do NOT have to put up with the things we had to endure living in a high rise...if you did you would not be annoyed at what folks wrote about them.

I am fascinated with high rise housing, both in its method of construction and in the way it polarises opinions. It was sold as the one size fit all solution to housing needs, that worked remarkably well in the eyes of its creators.

Lots of people loved it and in fact still do today, it is a lifestyle that works for them. As a kid, I loved living in a tower block, but my mom hated it. With my dad being out at work all day, she felt socially isolated.

When we left, it was through a council exchange. An elderly couple wanted to give up their three bedroomed end terrace with a very large garden or this very modern two bedroomed six floor flat. It worked for them.

I spend many years working maintaining most of the city’s tower blocks and met with lot of people who loved their homes. It was indeed their perfect lifestyle. They feel safe, secure and part of a community.

Lets not forget that there is still a housing need that goes well beyond demand.

high rise flats are probably ok for a couple or single person and have no children...i was trapped in a 2 bedroomed one (7th floor) for six dreadful years with 4 children under 6...afraid to have the windows open too far and the balcony locked all the time...no garden for the children..lifts constantly failing and the view out was looking the other surrounding flats...so soul destroying...this was in the 90s so not really that long ago...we all have and are entitled to our opinions but after my experience i would rather sleep on a park bench...

lyn

Last edited:
You only have to look at the standard of maintenance in Grenfell Tower in the year 2017 to become annoyed. This maintained by a the richest borough in England. Other tower blocks are owned by Companies based in such places like Bermuda, the Channel Islands and Luxembourg.
As for land ownership around Aston....The area bound by Cuckoo Road, the canal, River Tame, the canal and Argyle Street owned by TMF Channel Islands Ltd

The area around Star City Owned by Company based in Jersey. N of Warren Road by Company based in Luxembourg...

When my dad passed away my mom didn’t feel safe alone in her (council) house so my sister arranged a move to a high rise flat. The flat was in Moors lane, Northfield, it overlooked Bartley Green reservoir where she could look out and watch the yachts. Beyond was open countryside with magnificent views, (she was on the 6th floor). In the flats were a lot of her old friends and neighbours who were in a similar situation. She loved it and felt happy and safe. There is a place for flats but it has to be the right place for the right reasons.

Totally agree with you.
Those who complain about the number of new homes being built should step back and think about how many children/ grandchildren they have. All will be needing a home soon.

I never question why new homes are being built, because I am part of the the problem, i.e I have children.
No need to apologise, you are entitled to your comments.
I have never lived in a high-rise apartment block but I would have liked to.
I visited someone in Brook piece (?) house at the Maypole many years ago. I was amazed with the views. I was told that the top floor was the highest point in the West Mids, the next comparable point going east was the Urals in Russia.

Bob,

I don't think anyone has ever complained about the number of new homes being built, just the number of beautiful old buildings in the centre of the city being destroyed, to be replaced by huge tower blocks that in the main are offices.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:

Smethwick Girl , I have nothing against blocks of flats , I lived in one between 1968/70 . Cambridge Tower just behind the Hall of Memory , we moved there from our back street house in William St just off Broad St . I realise of course people have to live , my gripe is that it seems to be rule of thumb by the council to allow umpteen carbuncles of immense height . this is immaterial of whether it is offices or housing etc . Obviously when you think about housing building up doesn't take the same amount of room as a lets say housing estate does . I'm sure if you took a light meter and walked down New St , the light levels would not be as good as what they were in the years prior to the 60's . I worked in West Bromwich from 1984-2013 and notice that Sandwell have adopted this policy of recladding the exterior of these concrete blocks , making them more pleasing on the eye . Having said that when you look at Birmingham City centre nowadays it's bland , it's character is slowly slipping away into concrete history . I realise of course Birmingham City centre will never be the same as it was when I was a lad but I think a little more thought by BCC might no go amiss before we all drown in concrete . Sorry if my commentsI caused you any angst

high rise flats are probably ok for a couple or single person...i was trapped in a 2 bedroomed one (7th floor) for six dreadful years with 4 children under 6...afraid to have the windows open too far and the balcony locked all the time...no garden for the children..lifts constantly failing and the view out was looking the other surrounding flats...so soul destroying...this was in the 90s so not really that long ago...we all have and are entitled to our opinions but after my experience i would rather sleep on a park bench...

lyn

Lyn my Mother loved living in Cambridge Tower in the 70's , I moved out when I got married 1970 . There was a secured front door , whereby you gained access by pressing the number of the flat you required . My Mother lived on the fourteenth floor all was well and good until a certain unsavoury character got into the lift with her , unfortunately being well mannered Mother held the front door open for him as he came down the few steps behind her . Everything seemed innocent until the lift doors closed . She was never the same woman again, a nervous wreck , moving out to secure housing not far from my Sister's in West Heath

there
Lyn my Mother loved living in Cambridge Tower in the 70's , I moved out when I got married 1970 . There was a secured front door , whereby you gained access by pressing the number of the flat you required . My Mother lived on the fourteenth floor all was well and good until a certain unsavoury character got into the lift with her , unfortunately being well mannered Mother held the front door open for him as he came down the few steps behind her . Everything seemed innocent until the lift doors closed . She was never the same woman again, a nervous wreck , moving out to secure housing not far from my Sister's in West Heath
thats terrible......

when i live in a highrise. one night i was driving down the rd going for my chomp in my works van.as i approched the block i saw some yobs pushing my car so i got on the radio, and then drove towards the car.the yobs ran into the building when they saw me. the police arrived just after me and give chase, one of the blokes live 2 floors up.:mad:

You cannot compare council flats that were built in the 60s/70s to todays privately owned ones being built now. I know both young and old who live in them where access to the City is what they require for ease and safety.

The title of the Thread also begs the question as to who owns Birmingham. On the Private Eye site below there is an interacting map for England and I have zoomed into the centre part of Birmingham. Click on the orange areas to see which overseas companies own the land.

Zoom out to see other areas of Birmingham. Also show on the map are leasehold.

A4BA861B-F6DE-422D-99E8-DD30C7F26F65.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back