• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

More about Woolworths

The Bullring Woolworth's cafeteria in 1936 could cater for 1,000 people. They provided Saturday night suppers too. Wonder what the food was like? Viv.

View attachment 86998

I never dined at Woolworth so I do not know how long this sized restaurant lasted. I would guess that the advent of WW2 made changes to it.

I would say that the food was good, wholesome and healthy and as the advert says "reasonably" priced. Those who ever visited a British Restaurant will have some idea I think.

Hi Viv,
I can't vouch for the "Saturday Night Suppers" but I remember going to the Cafeteria on quite a few occasions with my mother, and enjoying meat pie and chips ! that was in the 1930's
Regadrs Reg

Hi Reg and Radiorails. Funny but Woolworth's wouldn't have been a place that springs to mind when choosing a place to get a Saturday evening supper! Good old Woolies. Viv.

Certainly not for a Saturday evening supper but I have been told that shop cafeterias and restaurants are very popular places for lunch for people who are on the road a lot. Tescos at Five Ways have gone over to a coffee bar but previously I often called in for a late breakfast.

Back