• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Morand

LKehlet

Would appreciate any information in regard to Morand family that lived in 134A Belgrave Rd Edgbaston (believed to be bombed in WW2) and later at 220 Stratford Rd Spafrkbrook.

1911 has the family that were in Belgrave Road in 1901 now at 17 Warwick road Sparkhill,surname mispelt Morant
Sarah a widow born Newport monmouth, Eugene died in 1909
children
Eliza Whitfield Morand age 20 she married Herbert Edwin Smith in 1924
Alice Hilda Morand age 19 married Jonathan Bodger in 1922
Henrietta Maria 16 married George king in 1925

Loiuse Morand died in 1931 age 51.

In 1920 I have found Thomas John at Queensberry street, Carlton, Victoria, Australia he is a toolmaker.

sadly Herbert is in Selly Oak Workhouse in 1911 and 1939 in Erdington house, which I believe was part of Highcroft hospital .

Thank you Alberta for your reply. I am the daughter of Thomas John Morand who eventually moved from Victoria to Sydney New South Wales Australia where he met and married my mother.

Thomas was born in 1893 and my aunt Henrietta was born in 1894. My other two auns Eliza and Alice were born in 1890 and 1891 respectively so the ages you have stated at their marriage are not correct.

My grandmother Sarah was living at 220 Stratford Road Sparkbrook in 1918 because it is mentioned in my fathers military records.

I am amazed at the information you were able to obtain. The details you gave about Sarah and Herbert are correct l only recently found out where Herbert had been placed. He was Sarah's stepson and unfortunately referred to as an imbecile in one of his birth records. Sarah was the second wife of Eugene Morand. Louise that died in 1931 was also Sarah's stepdaughter. They were the children of Elizabeth Luker - Eugenes first wife who died the same year Herbert was born. I always wondered if she died in childbirth. I have not been able to find out.

Alberta I would be grateful if you could find out any more information about my father's family.

I see Eugene was born in France and on his marriage to Sarah Elizabeth Lancaster he is listed as Jean Eugene Morand the son of Jean Lesserre Morand.

I'm not sure Elizabeth died the same year Herbert was born. Herbert's birth was registered in 1882.

Elizabeth's death appears to be registered in Chepstow in 1884. Which is interesting because Chepstow is in Monmouthshire and Sarah was born in Monmouthshire (Newport).

Sorry should have made my answer a bit clearer the ages were their ages on 1911 census and I added the marriage details as an extra, I have amended my post.

Sarah Morand died on 27th January 1930 her address given as 220 Stratford road, probate was granted to
Eliza Whitfield Lancaster Smith wife of Herbert Edwin Smith, the amount £487. 15s.10pence( the equivalent of £30000 today)

in the 1913 directory there is a firm listed Morand & Co cycle enamellers at 136 1/2 Hurst Street - is this linked to Sarah? She is also listed in the 1911 and 1912 rates books as paying rates on premises described as "warehouse and shopping" - this appears to be the premises in Hurst Street.

On a slight tangent (which are always interesting) Eugene's first wife Elizabeth Luker seems to be registered Elizabeth Smith, the illegitimate daughter of a Charlotte Smith who subsequently married a James Luker.

She is not to be confused with the Elizabeth Luker whose birth and death were registered (coincidentally) in Chepstow in 1857.

They were the children of Elizabeth Luker - Eugenes first wife who died the same year Herbert was born. I always wondered if she died in childbirth. I have not been able to find out.
If you obtain Elizabeth's death cert you should be able to see what she died from. Assuming the record found by MWS in Chepstow is correct.

Thank you once again for all this information on my family. I realise I did get Herbert's year of birth wrong. I do have his birth year as 1882. Herbert also had another sister Edith Josephine Morand and she was born in 1881 and died in 1886.

It is interesting that you say Elizabeth Luker was originally Elizabeth Smith because Sarah's mother's maniden name was Jane Smith but she was born in Tenby Wales. I know it's a common name but interesting just the same.

In regard to the cycle enamellers this information is correct. I believe Sarah and family carried on with this business for a number of years. My father Thomas left the UK in 1914 and sailed on the "Irishman" from Liverpool to Melbourne, Australia. He enlisted in the Australian Flying Corps in 8thSquadron in 1917 and went back over to the UK and trained at Wendover. He also visited Sarah at 220 Stratford Road. He returned to Australia and was discharged from the Australian Imperial Force in 1920. He received the British War Medal because the AFC was the early forerunner of the Air Force and was under British command. My fathers early life has always been a bit of a mystery because he lost all contact with his family after WW1.

I knew about Jean Lesserre Morand being the name of my french great grandfather but only because it is mentioned on Eugenes marriage certificate. My father said he knew his french grandparents so I assumed they lived near Birmingham somewhere but I have never been able to trace them.

Thanks Alberta, PjmBurns and MWS for all your help so far. Just to let you know whilst on a trip to the UK in 2005 I was able to find 2 first cousins after going through the records in London of births deaths and marriages. They were the 2 daughters of Alice Morand. I made contact with them through Genes Reunited and it was wonderful. There were no other children from my other 2 aunts but I am the youngest of 7 children.

In 1881 Eugene is listed as a French Teacher and he, Elizabeth and Louise are living at Newhall Hill, Bham.

In 1891 Eugene is listed as a Manufacturer of Electrical Instruments and he, Sarah and 3 children are living at Belgrave Road. Name appears as Morando.

There are also 2 further children, Eugene Edward b & d 1878 and Edward Richard b1888 & d1889

That is amazing. I knew about Richard (I didn't know he was Edward Richard) but knew nothing of Eugene Edward. What a sad time for my grandfather Eugene losing a wife and daughter and having a son institutionalised from his first marriage and losing two sons from his second marriage. I guess that was not uncommon back then.

I have a copy of the 1891 census. It's the last time Herbert is mentioned. In the 1881 census Sarah and her mother Jane Lancaster and her sisters are living in Belgrave Road.

My grandfather seems to have been a jack of all trades. He is listed as a French teacher as was Elizabeth Luker and then manufacturer of electrical instruments and he has also been referred to as an electrician and electrical engineer. Then it appears he was in the cycle enamelling business.

I love that you are so kind in supplying me with lots of information and have taken the time to research all of it. So grateful!!

You're welcome and I - and I'm sure the other very knowledgeable members - enjoy the research and the challenge. Usually, I have to stop myself getting carried away.

It's interesting story - from France to England to Australia to England to France.

Back