• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moran Bernardus

Ray J Knowles

I have an ancestor who lived from 1909 - 1913 who lived around Hurst |Street (I think) - his father was John |Moran and his mother Catherine |Malley. I was told he died from contaminated chip shop oil somehow - has anyone ever heard of that - or perhaps specifically about Bernard;s death. I would have thought a death like that would have made the papers.

I have an ancestor who lived from 1909 - 1913 who lived around Hurst |Street (I think) - his father was John |Moran and his mother Catherine |Malley. I was told he died from contaminated chip shop oil somehow - has anyone ever heard of that - or perhaps specifically about Bernard;s death. I would have thought a death like that would have made the papers.
There have been many reports of contaminated or poisoned oils in recent years, Spain, China and other places who use oil for different of kinds of cooking. I suspect unscrupulous people have added things to oil many times in the past.

how sad and so young as well...if you obtained his death certificate that would give you all the answers

lyn

There has, in the past been many adulterations of oils. The recent Spanish one that is referred to is where criminals took rapeseed oil that had n even deliberately made non edible as it was to be used for industrial purposes and sold it as ok olive oil
In a slightly later context mineral oil (medicinal liquid paraffin) was used by some in ww2. Though this would likely have unfortunate circumstances on the unfortunate consumer, I do not think it would kill. As someone very interested in edible oil adulteration, I would very much like to find details of this case

Last edited:
Back