• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor Street Warehouse

When I was about 15 my brother -in-law undertook to create a rockery for my parents in our Tillingham St garden. He was a fireman when they did a 24 hour on shift and 24 off and like many of the fellow fireman he worked a "fiddle" or part-time job on his rest days, in his case a gardener.
A few cubic yards of soil were delivered and I keenly waited on the rocks to arrive. He told me that he had bought the stone work from the people who were demolishing one of the older buildings in Moor St.
I thought our rockery would incorporate stone gryphons and fancy corbels. To my disappointment when it arrived it had been reduced to just normal type rocks. It looked alright on completion but just an everyday job.
Tillingham St. has gone and those bits of Moor St have gone with it.
Cheers Tim.

View attachment 103502View attachment 103503View attachment 103504

Two MSW coathangers and a company letterhead and envelope form January 1963
I googled Moor Street Warehouse this morning as I have a hanger which was my father's. I recognised his signature on your letter! Dad died in 1988 and there are very few Nortons left. I would love a copy of the page you have shown.
The family business did indeed succumb due to relocation of the store to Perry Barr. My father lost everything apart from our house which was not tied in to the family business, thank goodnesss. I remember being fascinated by the pneumatic cash tube that took the money from the departments and sent back change. I still have a pencil, a paper bag and some very happy memories.

I noticed this pic elsewhere on the forum of Moor St with the warehouse visible in the distance. The street was busy in those days with trolley buses running along it.
City2520Moor2520St.jpg

I think I have commented in another thread that Moor Street Station was actually some way along Moor Street and that the Bull Ring as built in the 1960s came out to meet the station. What does not seem possible today is that Moor Street Warehouse was between Moor Street Station and the railway lines to Snow Hill as the building of the present platforms 1 & 2 at Moor Street was not until the reopening of Snow Hill Station.

I googled Moor Street Warehouse this morning as I have a hanger which was my father's. I recognised his signature on your letter! Dad died in 1988 and there are very few Nortons left. I would love a copy of the page you have shown.
The family business did indeed succumb due to relocation of the store to Perry Barr. My father lost everything apart from our house which was not tied in to the family business, thank goodnesss. I remember being fascinated by the pneumatic cash tube that took the money from the departments and sent back change. I still have a pencil, a paper bag and some very happy memories.
Any image on this forum or any other website can easily be copied ... :)
Using Windows
Get the the post#20 on screen.
Left click on the thumbnail image to enlarge it
Right click on the enlarged image and then click on 'save as'
Then click on 'Save' and it will save into your device.

Using iPad
Touch the words 'View attachment 103504' in the quote in your post
When the pic appears hold your finger on it until 'Save Image' appears
Touch 'Save Image' and the pic goes into your Camera Roll.

Last edited:
In my memories hidden away I remember Moor Street Warehouse so well.....my mom worked in town as a dressmaker and so did my aunt, my gran would take me to town every Tuesday (market day) and would meet both her daughters after and often we'd go in to Moor Street warehouse.....I always recall that on a certain floor you could feel the vibration of the trains going through the tunnel underneath.......quite an amazing experience in those far off days.......when the lines were closed I recall walkking through the tunnels to Snow Hill....another reminder of my train spotting days , usually at New Street station but Snow Hill was also on the schedule but it cost a whole OLD PENNY for a platform ticket and you'd think....what a cheek !!! those days were so good

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
when the lines were closed I recall walkking through the tunnels to Snow Hill....another reminder of my train spotting days , usually at New Street station but Snow Hill was also on the schedule but it cost a whole OLD PENNY for a platform ticket and you'd think....what a cheek !!! those days were so good
Did you stand in the long queue to walk through the tunnel ? :)
In October 1987 a long queue stood by the Inner Ring Road near Moor Street Station. People had been offered the chance to walk though the reopened tunnel between Moor Street and Snow Hill stations and hundreds turned up.
index.php

An aerial view of the Inner Ring Road and Masshouse Circus. The head of the queue would be opposite the bus travelling outbound.
index.php

A similar view today and the Inner Ring is altered and renamed Moor Street Queensway. The Masshouse Circus Island is gone with buildings now there.
index.php

The nearest Streetview could get to the location of the queue. The building marked is in the original photo looking newly built in 1987. It has recently been demolished.
index.php

No I didn't wait in a long queue..ha ha....I got up at some really ridiculous hour to get there......I can only recall a few in front of me that were waiting........we were all thinking....should we be locked up ??? but then we saw the aftermath of the reported queues and we felt very much better....the things you do in life !!!

Back