• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor End Lane, Erdington

M

man_from_xanadu

Do any elderly contributors have any memories or photos of the rural heritage of Moor End Lane in Erdington. In particular, does anyone remember the Moat House and Moat Farm, Moor End Green Farm, Harry Wager's cottage, Shipley Cottages or William Holden's farmhouse?

Thanks for the tip Jennyann, but I do periodically attend meetings of the EHS. I've also got a copy of member Norman Meacham's unpublished papers, which are a complete brain dump of everything he knew about old Erdington and serve as something of a bible to us Erdingtonophiles.

PS Are you connected with Birmingham Library? A series of watercolour paintings of Moor End Lane used to hang on the walls of Erdington Library in the 1950s and 60s, but are no longer there. I wonder what became of them - they were of great historical interest.

I visited the Library in Erdington last year and found it much changed. Over the years they are very short of space due to the computers being installed and a change of layout after years of the same setup. They do have a basement as far as I know and when my friend Margaret Rowe and a few others were organizing the 100 year reunion for Fentham Girls School in 2004 we found out that a silver rose bowl that was donated to the Library by the school was nowhere to be found. The Rose Festival was an important part of the schools event alendar. We later found out that it was hidden in the basement so perhaps that is where the pictures you mention are.

Are those papers by Mr. Norman Meacham available to read at all? Thanks. I hope that you can find out more about the history of Moor End Lane.

Thanks Jennyann, I'll have to go into Erdington Library and ask about what's stored in the basement.

Yes, Mr Meacham's papers were typed up by his son after his father's death, and are bound in 2 (or more) volumes, which can be borrowed from the local history shelves in Erdington Library. I've taken a photocopy for personal research. BEWARE: Helpful though this material is, the areas of my own expertise that I have checked out are riddled with errors - there are copious extracts from directories and censuses, etc that were not so readily researchable years ago, and the association between people and buildings is highly inaccurate.

Incidentally, I know that there is a photo on microfilm in Birmingham Library of the Elizabethan Moat House, because I've looked at it there, but it has never been published or made more widely available, which is a shame.

Are you in touch with Nesta Hampton Jennyann, ex Fentham Road & Moor End Lane school, now living in Toronto, Canada.

I was Ertdington C of E 1950s, Moor end lane, Erdington Operatic society, Double 00 Digbeth, Alexes on the Queensway.. just needing to connect

I visited the Library in Erdington last year and found it much changed. Over the years they are very short of space due to the computers being installed and a change of layout after years of the same setup. They do have a basement as far as I know and when my friend Margaret Rowe and a few others were organizing the 100 year reunion for Fentham Girls School in 2004 we found out that a silver rose bowl that was donated to the Library by the school was nowhere to be found. The Rose Festival was an important part of the schools event alendar. We later found out that it was hidden in the basement so perhaps that is where the pictures you mention are.

Are those papers by Mr. Norman Meacham available to read at all? Thanks. I hope that you can find out more about the history of Moor End Lane.

Hello Jenny Ann
I have not been in touch with the Forum for a while and it has taken me some time to get back in. Anyway I am now in. I have quite few photos of Fentham,Class photos, Rose Festivals and ballet performances. Not sure when you attended Fentham. I was also at Moore End Primary School in 1946. That give you an idea as to howold I am!! It seems a shame that the photos are not available forpeople to see and I have no idea how to do it. Fentham

I was brought up in Moor End Lane, where I experienced happy and memorable times, and I still own property there. I've contributed piecemeal to other threads from time to time that touch on the subject, but now I'd like to draw everything together in one thread concerning the history of this old lane, which dates back to mediaeval times.

Blimey, I only downed tools for an hour for a late lunch, I come back and the thread I'd just started has been hijacked and merged into another thread, before I get the chance to post up the details of the rest of my story. I've lost my thread now. :oops:

I think the title of your thread was the same as one that already existed, so you could choose a different title.

Sorry. The forum tries to make it as easy as possible to find items and not to duplicate threads, as this makes for confusion . Two threads with identical titles or very similar cause confusion and are merged

OK, I'll try again over the weekend. I want to post up the various censuses, photos, historical knowledge, etc that I have of Moor End Lane in the form of a comprehensive history of the old buildings and the people who lived and farmed there rather than a reunion of Moor End School attendees.

OK, I'll try again over the weekend. I want to post up the various censuses, photos, historical knowledge, etc that I have of Moor End Lane in the form of a comprehensive history of the old buildings and the people who lived and farmed there rather than a reunion of Moor End School attendees.
in that case could i suggest a thread title something on the lines of THE HISTORY OF MOOR END LANE ERDINGTON.....or something on those lines...

lyn

Back