• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Monyhull

T

tor6869

Hello all, Please could you help me out with some research i am doing, as i seem to have hit a brick wall.
My Granddads older brother, William Henry Wright was admitted to Monyhull at the age of around 10 years old. His father was Robert Wright and his mother was Selina Wright nee Howell. We believe he never came out and in fact died there.
The only record i can find of him of him is on the 1901 census, where he was 6 weeks old.
I would be so grateful if anyone could possibly help me with finding out why he was admitted, when he died and where he was buried. None of the family never really heard anything about him other than one or two visits when we believe he was in his fifties.
Many many thanks,
Tracey

Hi - Sad story.

Have you tried the City Library as there should be records for such a place held somewhere.

Best of luck.

Tracey

I would reiterate what Bernard Ric has said - contact Birmingham City Library - Archives - I am sure they may hold the records for Monyhull, or would be able to give you information as to where the records are held.

Good Luck

Hello Tracey :) To add to the good advice from Fay & Bernard,

I remember playing football matches at Monyhull in 1970,s
versus their Staff teams, Doctors, male nurses etc.
I remember them saying they treated severe Epilepsy & illnesses
associated along those lines :(
Hope this snippet assists your queries,
Good Luck, John Y :cool:

Last edited:
Tracy, I think it may be the same thing that happened in my family. My great aunt was sent to The Midland Counties Asylum in Knowle aged 12, she suffered from severe epilepsy. She ended her life in Hatton Asylum in 1909 aged 32. These were hospitals that treated mental illness, of course there were no drugs to help then. She was born in Lozzells. My Gt Grandfather paid for her keep whilst she was in these hospitals it's documented in his will. The only problem you may have is the hundred year closure rule.

Tracey

Wendy is quite correct regarding the 100 year closure rule which I hadn't thought about.

However you can get special dispensation (in some instances) from the Health Authority responsbile for the records.

The staff who work in the Archives at Birmingham Central Library can assist you completing the paperwork. They are very knowledgable and helpful.

I think my grandad used to wk at Monyhall in the 60's can anyone tell me where it is or was.My grandad was in his 70's when he worked there as a volunteer think.
Any other info would be grateful
thanks
williszzz

Hello ColinB.
Thank you so much for posting your website address, I have just looked at the literature and pictures and they brought back so many memories. I worked at Monyhull for about 10yrs { I think it was in the 80s.? } A Patients Clothing Shop was opened and the patients used to come to get their clothing. They could either buy it themselves or the Authority would supply it. They were able to come to the shop and try on the dresses, coats, shoes in fact we stocked everything they needed
A great many of them were epeleptic and because of this they did not get much of an education. { I suppose there days we would say they were educationally sub normal } But for all that on the whole they were lovely people. { yes, they had off days but don't we all } Harry worked with me at the clothing shop.He used to live in Erdington and he told me that one night when he was on his motorbike the police stopped him and he was arrested and ended up in Monyhull.Obviously there must have been problems somewhere. He was obssessed with graves and explained to me how he wanted his coffin to be lined etc.I got him a camera and he used to go to the chirchyard and take pictures of the gravestones and read the dedications on them.
I suppose it all sounds rather macrabe but it was wasn't it was just everyday life. one day I took him to Birmingham Market to get his hair cut. I have never seen such joy and excitment. Such a simple thing yet it meant so much to him. I still often think of him and the pleasure he gave to me and lots of other people yet he was considered to be sub-normal. { Not in my hearing I might add ! }
Why do I get so upset when I think of days gone bye ? ??

Betty.

Hello tor 6869 & willis,

Just wondered if you had any luck tracing your relatives ?
If it is any help Monyhull was part of the S.outh B.irmingham. Health. Authority, { S.B.H.A. }
The offices were in Oak Tree Lane, Selly Oak.B'ham 29.
Hope you find out especially William Wright. There were quite a lot of people at Monyhull
who did not have contact with their family. { bet he was called Billy Wright after the footballer }
Don't worry about him anyway I'm sure he would be happy there.
Betty Hopper.

HELLO tor6869 & willis,
I am getting very confused here - and thats not difficult these days !
Just read through all of this thread and found lots of information on " uncle Willy
under different headings.
Have a look at the lists of Hospitals and you will find one headed
" Great Uncle Willy " and other threads too.
SO GLAD HE WAS FOUND.
Betty Hopper

Back