• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Monument Road

stars

master brummie
Post #1 -4 have been copied to this thread from another for general interest. Viv

I remember A mate of my dads worked for Masons pop, he used to drop in for a cuppa and always left us a couple of bottles.
Here a a few pubs from the area

Image4_The_duke_Of_Wellington_Leach_St.jpg

The Bridge Inn Monument Road

Image1The_Bridge_Inn_Monument_Rd_2.jpg

Enjoy Stars

Last edited by a moderator:
The first photo is on BHF a couple of times, We have discussed the proximity of the seat to the kerb, the urinal and the Bundy clock. The Bridge Inn was commented upon and it apparent move. But it is in Monument Road so not really out of place here.
There is a pic of the Duke of Wellington, (its own thread) the only post is by you Lyn, no comments to it.
Another tea (Barbers) ghost sign on the wall of Doris's fruit and veg shop (now closed), so I guess it had been a corner type shop before Doris moved in? Another photo, lower down, also shows a shop - florists and fruiter. Was this an earlier shop of hers I wonder? Or another one?
Next door is an unusual place. Praed's Advertising Agency. They not only had personal cards but were into wedding photos and pools (competitors to Littlewoods and Vernons? :D
There are two photos, both of the same places, just below the Community Centre. The one with the Bulmers Cider Morris Commercial flatbed delivering to the beer seller, seems older as the other photo seems to show that both shops have been 'tarted up'.
The big places that stood out in Monument Road were, in my recollection, The Edgbaston Cinema, St. John's Church, The Public Baths and The Palais de Danse. All these places of course are mentioned in threads here on BHF.
This was the home ground of the late Alan (Astonian). How he would have loved this thread and contributed greatly to it I am sure. However, lots about Monument Road and it side streets are recorded here under his name.

for members interested in prescott st i have just posted about what i hope are 21 new photos...

lyn

Good old Monument Rd , I remembered quite a few of the buildings in these photo's . The shop by the side of the community centre was where I bought sticks of hard liquorice from , after we'd been swimming with the school . The Edgbaston on Saturday afternoon . If we hadn't any sweet money we used to take a sausage sandwich , although it was cold it tasted great.

My family lived at 180 Monument Rd ,a surgery headed by Dr Kerr. My mother was the general dogsbody and ran the admin side of the practice. Today she would be the Practice Manager. The property was just down from the junction of Plough and Harrow Rd and Waterworks Rd towards Chamberlain Gardens park. A new surgery was built at the junction of Plough and Harrow Rd and Cawdor Crescent,next to St George's School. My mother was invited to move to the new surgery but declined because she was having a baby,my sister Phyllis. We moved to Wellesley St in Hockley instead. I keep my fingers crossed that one day someone will publish a photograph of the property.
Living there we enjoyed the vast space at the rear of the property. I have a photo of my mother sitting on the rear lawn, today she would be in the middle of Cawdor Crescent.
Saturday matinee at the Edge', days spent circumnavigating the Ressa, long walks to Lightwoods and Cannon Hill parks and adventures into town taking in The Art Gallery,loved the mummy and the skeleton;scary. The joys of the Science Museum. I was always fascinated by the button making machine.
Mikejee did a great job on the history of the property which I found fascinating but sadly no picture. I'll have to stick to my memories of which there are many more but I would hate to bore you further.

NoddKD. Bernard Dunn in those far off days.

My family lived at 180 Monument Rd ,a surgery headed by Dr Kerr. My mother was the general dogsbody and ran the admin side of the practice. Today she would be the Practice Manager. The property was just down from the junction of Plough and Harrow Rd and Waterworks Rd towards Chamberlain Gardens park. A new surgery was built at the junction of Plough and Harrow Rd and Cawdor Crescent,next to St George's School. My mother was invited to move to the new surgery but declined because she was having a baby,my sister Phyllis. We moved to Wellesley St in Hockley instead. I keep my fingers crossed that one day someone will publish a photograph of the property.
Living there we enjoyed the vast space at the rear of the property. I have a photo of my mother sitting on the rear lawn, today she would be in the middle of Cawdor Crescent.
Saturday matinee at the Edge', days spent circumnavigating the Ressa, long walks to Lightwoods and Cannon Hill parks and adventures into town taking in The Art Gallery,loved the mummy and the skeleton;scary. The joys of the Science Museum. I was always fascinated by the button making machine.
Mikejee did a great job on the history of the property which I found fascinating but sadly no picture. I'll have to stick to my memories of which there are many more but I would hate to bore you further.

NoddKD. Bernard Dunn in those far off days.
Talking about the walks etc , plus the Edgbaston and the reservoir . We're kindred spirits

Evocative photos of old Ladywood. We used to catch the 6 bus from Bearwood down Hagley Road to the Ivy Bush, then along Monument Road to visit Mom's old friend in Coxwell Road. Sometimes a walk round Edgbaston Reservoir.

The Bridge Inn in Monument Road in 1959 with some unusually placed street furniture. Instead of being against the wall that bench looks rather close to the road, and a Bundy Clock usually near kerbs is against the wall. The cast iron urinal (there is a thread for them) has it's own gas lamp which was useful. I suppose it all made sense.

attachment.php

From https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?34394-Another-Old-Pub&p=455777#post455777
I spotted information about this Bundy clock. It may be the reason it was sited close to the wall. It was moved here in June 1952, at the direction of The Council, from the other end of Monument Road bridge due to complaints about noise - presumably bus engine, crew chatter and so on. Given that Monument Road was not a quiet but busy road, pubs, the Monument Lane loco servicing sh

I spotted information about this Bundy clock. It may be the reason it was sited close to the wall. It was moved here in June 1952, at the direction of The Council, from the other end of Monument Road bridge due to complaints about noise - presumably bus engine, crew chatter and so on. Given that Monument Road was not a quiet but busy road, pubs, the Monument Lane loco servicing sh

I cannot follow that link as it is for admin only. But anyway, I was referring to the pub as your sentence suggests that had moved ... "The Bridge Inn was commented upon and it apparent move. But it is in Monument Road so not really out of place here."

Many links became incorrect when the internet address of the forum was altered during the change to Xenforo. I correct them in my posts when I spot them but could not change it in the quote in #17. Post 455777 in the Pubs thread was for some reason deleted.

Flippin' 'eck, this has sparked an interest in this road, one in which I have done hardly any research. However, I have plenty of pics, some of which are the same as Lyn's gallery of Carl Chinn photos. I have hit upon a couple of snags already. Where exactly was the Vine Inn and the EXACT year that it became Monument Road. I have sort of narrowed it down to the winter of 1877-8 but no precise date. I have done a little at :
Of course, much more to follow.

mike jee sai
Between 1876-78 Monument lane was changed to Monument Road

The Beach family are mentioned in the 1840s and 1850s at the Vine Inn, Monument Lane. However, on the 1851 census the Beach family appear to be listed on Icknield St which looking at the 1889 map is possibly a short stretch of road splitting Monument Road at the bridge over the Bham Canal by Monument Lane Station. At one end is listed the Bridge Inn and the other the Station Hotel, could either have had a name change in the meantime?

The Beach family are mentioned in the 1840s and 1850s at the Vine Inn, Monument Lane. However, on the 1851 census the Beach family appear to be listed on Icknield St which looking at the 1889 map is possibly a short stretch of road splitting Monument Road at the bridge over the Bham Canal by Monument Lane Station. At one end is listed the Bridge Inn and the other the Station Hotel, could either have had a name change in the meantime?

Yes, she is listed in Icknield Street West but close to Ladywood Place which I suspect was near Ladywood Lane [later Ladywood Road]. In terms of the census she was not far from Icknield Port Road so it suggests she was in that part of the road. As I state on my web page, Monument Lane extended from Hagley Road to Ladywood Lane. Icknield Street West, along with Monument Lane, formed Monument Road around 1877, though there were trade directory listings for Monument Lane Station prior to this.

Back