• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Monument Road/Plough & Harrow Road

Y

yampydog

I am researching my Family tree and have links to Charles Faulkner, who ran a tube making/gun barrel business in Birmingham in the mid to late 19th century. In 1881 the family lived at 185 Monument Road and in 1891 at 5 Plough & Harrow road. Neither of these adresses still exist but appear to be at virtually the same place where the these roads intersect. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Any help gratefully received.

I attach a map c 1914. In the area concerned it is almost the same as the earlier 1890 map, but clearer. No 5 Plough & Harrow road is in blue, and 185 Monument rd in red. They are fairly close and the plough & harrow address doesn’t look particullalrly larger, but might have looked more impressive. It certainly seems to have a larger frontage. No other suggestions I’m afraid.
mike

map_c_1914_185_monument_rd__5_Pl__Harr_rd.jpg

Thanks, thats a great help. Now I can go back for another look.

Hi Mike,
Looking at the Monument Rd map I believe the property marked BM 521 77 is number 180. If it is I lived there for about 5 years before moving to Hockley.
I have had long time interest in this property but can't find anything about it anywhere. Any idea where I could find anything related to the property.
I do know that whist we lived there it was a Doctors surgery. When we left the surgery was relocated to a new building on the corner of Cawdor Crescent and Plough&Harrow Road.
Hope you can help.

NoddK-D

NoddK-D
The marking BM 521-77 refers to the arrow on the edge of the property, and was a benchmark, which marked a surveying point used in the surveying of the map. Checking with a later map which has houses numbered, it was indeed no 180. The newspaper archives confirm that it was a doctors surgery in later years, Dr Stephen Southall, dying in 1942 afteer being there for 40myears. A later Dr. Miraj ud Din was fined for illegally using petrol and driving without a licence (tut-tut) in 1944. In 1946 a Patrick McKerron, who is described as living there , was sent to gaol for 14 months (on top of a sentence already being served) fro stealing a safe in Lichfield. Two years later, still giving that address, he was sent down for 9 months for GBH.
The online electoral rolls show that at sometime between 1925 and 1930 the numbering of the house was altered, going from no 193 in 1925 to 180 in 1930. Dr Southall is there in the 1908 directory, which would refer to 1907, but in the 1904 directory, referring to 1903, it is a Dr. Leech, who had been there from 1896. In 1894 the house was occupied by John Hotchkiss from 1883. Before that it was occupied by Abraham Knowles , a timber merchant, from at least 1877. Before that the road was named as part of Monument Lane is listed as 35 Monument Lane., with Abraham listed there in the 1872, 1873 and 1876 directories. (in these early directories it is not certain as to the exact date of the survey and it might be the year before, or possibly a year earlier). But in the 1855, 1862, 1867 and 1868 directories it is occupied by Joseph Bent ( a manufacturer of military and naval ornaments with premises at 87 Newhall St). #Before thta it is not clea rif the building existed, as houses in the Lane were not numbered, and Mr Bent does not have an address listed other than his business address. Joseph died in January 1868

With regard to John Hotchkiss, in June 1890 a John Hotchkiss was approved as consul in Birmingham for the Republic of Salvador, and in Sept.1894 as Consul of Peru in Birmingham. In 1924 he appear sto be the Consul for Nicaragua and Peru (and a member of the management committee of the Liberal association)

Mike, I take my hat off to you. That is a brilliant piece of research and done overnight! It has taken me several years to learn nothing. It certainly had an interesting past. My younger brother found a service pattern.38 revolver in the loft,I wonder who that belonged to. My guess would be Mckerron, a real villain methinks.
The map is very accurate which made it easier for me to pinpoint the house. I recognise the buildings in the large rear garden and the consevatory.
Thank you very much for your time and help.

In admiration,Nodd K-D

A couple of aerial photos of Plough & Harrow Road dated 1921 with the property highlighted on the map in post#2 shown lightly shaded blue in these photos.
Plough_Harrow1921.jpg

PloughHarrowRd1921.jpg

Back