• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Monument Lane Station/Shed

21E ??? ....... it was 3E in my spotting days way back in the 1950's !!! I had a friend that was a fireman there and he worked mostly on the Harborne line....... he had some interesting stories to tell and such a shame he never put pen to paper.

Yes you are correct with the 3E code, the depot was recoded 21E on 20/6/60. A further recode took place in september 1963 when it became 2H. Closure was in march 1967 and was demolished during 1968. I have an excellent book about the depot by Tony Higgs, well worth a read if you can find a copy.

The Wreck of the Irish Mail, enquiry August 1915.

Frederick Brightman, driver of the train said he took his engine out of the Monument Lane Shed at 8.5 on Saturday
morning....

'F776BD09-DF63-4FEC-875E-520B45DBB080.jpeg8247E54F-56D1-4926-9DAB-ED91F6B86597.jpeg

Yes you are correct with the 3E code, the depot was recoded 21E on 20/6/60. A further recode took place in september 1963 when it became 2H. Closure was in march 1967 and was demolished during 1968. I have an excellent book about the depot by Tony Higgs, well worth a read if you can find a copy.
Yes I read it and have just sold it on....my grandfather used to live right by the depot and used to spot from their attic room.....c1905......a bit before Ian Allan brought his train refs out...lol..... I seem to recall he and his brothers logged their kops on the walls and ceilings in pencil ha ha

21E ??? ....... it was 3E in my spotting days way back in the 1950's !!! I had a friend that was a fireman there and he worked mostly on the Harborne line....... he had some interesting stories to tell and such a shame he never put pen to paper.
I also worked with a guy who used to fire on Monument Lane. I could listen to him for hours, he should have wrote a book about it all.

Monument Lane loco shed by Higgs, Tony. (2008) has been mentioned in above posts. It is available on the Internet Archive.
A few pictures…
An aerial view of the shed (to the top right) in the 1920s and the surrounding area…

892A78C2-795C-4E8F-8CC4-745BB2987DFD.jpeg

In the earlv 1950s Jubilee 45601 British Guiana has arrived at the shed for servicing after working one the British Industries Fair specials. Camden men worked the trains to Birmingham and Monument Lane covered the return journey. (Howard Turvey.)

0614F270-408E-413D-97F5-4C8C07745C35.jpeg

Monument Lane Station was opened in 1854 for passenger trains but was known as Edgbaston from 1853 when it was not advertised for trains. However, apart from providing a need for passengers to access or egress the platforms, there was also the need to serve as a "ticket platform". The need to check passenger tickets seems to have been the original purpose for this station and may have been used for such a purpose when the Stour Valley Railway first opened for passenger traffic.

As to the locomotive shed, this establishment had the purpose of initially supplying coke and water for locomotives as well as a place to maintain. The railway tunnel north of New Street had tracks on an incline that raised at a gradient from 1 in 76 to 1 in 77 which meant that train speed was affected in the early days and journeys through the tunnel varied.

I think the local factories and the fact that every house had at least one coal fire was more harmful to the washing that a couple of trains a day!
One of my relatives a boatman lived in one of the railway cottages along side the canal on this map he lived at no2. I have taken a walk along that canal it is difficult to see through the shrubbery if anything is left of the cottages.

Attachments

• Monument_Lane_Station_map.jpg
    Monument_Lane_Station_map.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 11
Back