• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Monks & Co Of Balsall Heath

Banjo

master brummie
I was telling my grandkids about a certain pork pie I used to like in the 1950s. Monk's pork pie was the pie and I'm sure the factory was in Balsall Heath Road.
Anyone got any photos of it? I also remember a van that used to deliver to our local grocery shop which had a picture of a huntsman on the side. Can anyone throw any light on that company?

They had several shops in 1955:
Monk G. H. & Co.-Limited, meat salesmen, 40,' 41, 42,66, 67, 68 & 65 City Meat Market 5; &'u & 13 Sherlock street east 5 (T A " Marketing " ; Midland 2636,'-2637
& 2638) & pork .butchers, 215/217 Balsall Heath rd 12 (Calth.orpe 1117); 164 Ladypool rd 12 (Victoria 1740);490 Bearwood rd 41 (Bearwood 1208); 13/15 Mary
st 12; & 82 Muntz st 10; tripe dressers, 190 Gravelly la 23; cooked meat shop, 343 Gooeh st 5 & butchers, 175 Anderton rd 11; 186 (Calthorpe 1734) & l 89 Balsall
Heath rd 12 (Oalthorpe 1953) & greengros. 150 Belgr'ave rd 5 (Calthorpe 1705); 193 Balsall Heath rd 12 (CalthoTpe 3140) & private garage, 148A, Belgrave rd 5

Banjo, recently someone posted a photo of Fred Lanes newspaper shop in Balsall Heath Road, Monks had one shop to the left of Fred's shop. I think they slaughtered the pigs at the back. As a child i remember watching the pigs going into the small yard, also there was a pork butchers in Gooch Street, they offloaded the animals for slaughter the bottom of Sherborne Road, next to either a yard where we took old papers or rags for money. Monks also had places in Mary Street and the other side of Balsall Heath Road, just down from Mary Street. Mrs Wheeldon who had a shop in Balsall Heath Road, opposite Kensington Gardens, she used to buy, hams, brains, bacon, etc from Monks.

Back