• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pre-decimalisation money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumpammer

master brummie
We have had the Cheese Quiz and The Christmas Quiz, now try this one

Old money quiz
In the following problem a series of twelve clues have been given. Each answer is an amount in the currency used in England prior to decimalisation.

You have been given the final total. All you have to do is insert each of the twelve amounts that, when added together, equals the final total of £32 17s 8 1/2d

1: A Stone =

2: A Bicycle =

3: A Mans Name =

4: A Singer =

5: A Kind of Pig =

6: A Leather Worker =

7: Part of Monkey =

8: Sun, Moon, Pluto =

9: Royal Headdress =

10: 50% of Panties =

11: Hit Repeatedly =

12: Unwell Sea Creature =

Total Amount =£32 17s 8 1/2d

A bit early in the morning for me but possible answers for some of the questions

3: A Mans Name = Bob = old 1 shilling = 12d

5: A Kind of Pig = Guinea = 21 old shillings = 252d

6: A Leather Worker = Tanner = old Sixpence = 6d

9: Royal Headdress = Crown = 5 old shillings = 60d

I put the old pennies so I could use a spreadsheet to add up the final total ... can't do it in my head and it's easier than pen and paper ...:rolleyes:

Difficult a calculator for £SD isnt it?

We always called 10 shillings 10 bob
That's why I'm converting all to old pennies. I shall divide the total by 240 to give pounds and the remaining pennies by 12 to get the shillings and the remainder will be in pennies and half pennies.
Life was so simple before 1971 ... except long division in old money !

That's why I'm converting all to old pennies. I shall divide the total by 240 to give pounds and the remaining pennies by 12 to get the shillings and the remainder will be in pennies and half pennies.
Life was so simple before 1971 ... except long division in old money !
Perhaps my final total may need correcting. I did it all in long hand.

Can't find answers to 7:part of a monkey and 11: Hit repeatedly
Total so far £32 .....12s......8d
Still 5s 1/2d short:mad:

Long ago as a child I remember buying some 'liquorice root' and the shopkeeper said they half a penny for three but he pronounced it as 'ape-nee' for three.

7: Part of Monkey = 'ape knee' ... half of old penny

Brilliant that is my missing halfpenny.

£14 + penny farthing + 1s + £10 + 21s + 6d + apeknee + 3 farthings + 5s + 10s + £1 + £6

Finally got the right answer. I was still 10s out until I realised 50% of panties was half a knicker and not half of a pair of knickers. I thought as the clue was panties (plural) half of knickers was a knicker.
Good quiz, very enjoyable. Thank you Lumpammer

Long ago as a child I remember buying some 'liquorice root' and the shopkeeper said they half a penny for three but he pronounced it as 'ape-nee' for three.

7: Part of Monkey = 'ape knee' ... half of old penny
It took me weeks to work out APE KNEE

Just looking in the Birmingham papers for slang terms for money...

From 1891 midjic = shilling and a Thick-un = a sovereign

But off the subject I found this pugilistic slang from 1861..

45E345E9-3FE2-44C4-83D7-4F5EBB2042FD.jpeg

Brilliant that is my missing halfpenny.

£14 + penny farthing + 1s + £10 + 21s + 6d + apeknee + 3 farthings + 5s + 10s + £1 + £6

Regarding Number 12, the sick quid, I took this to be 6 quid. To me a quid was always a pound.

But during the search for old slang terms there are references to a quid being a sovereign.

(Edit...forgot to add of course that a sovereign was a pound, but the pound may have come before the sovereign?)

Last edited:
When I worked for my friend's dad in the Bull Ring there were a few slang names for the money we handled.
A 1d coin was a "Clod", a 6d piece was called a "Sprarsie", a 2s piece (Florin) was referred to as "Owtgen" and a half crown was always a "Tosheroon". We also used a form of backslang, as did the butchers, and a a ten shilling not was a "Net" and a pound note was a "Dunop", a fiver was a "Jacks" (Jack's alive = 5).
It seems strange using these terms now. I don't know if they still use the backslang on the markets nowadays but certainly the last time I was in a Birmingham butchers' shop they were still using it.

Last week a ten shilling note was found in some old possessions. It's the first time I have actually handled a note from before decimalisation.

Ok, that's nothing to write home about (or to the forum!), but it got me thinking about the money that my ancestors would have been using.

Obviously I could 'search engine' the subject, but it's much more interesting asking the forum where they recommend that I look to find the history of money.

So if anyone could make any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back