• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pre-decimalisation money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know where the slang word BOB came from ,as in a shilling, gone are the days when I went for a bob fish and a tanners worth of chips

Coin Nicknames | The Royal Mint

Bob – The subject of great debate, as the origins of this nickname are unclear although we do know that usage of bob for shilling dates back to the late 1700s. Brewer’s 1870 Dictionary of Phrase and Fable states that ‘bob’ could be derived from ‘Bawbee’, which was 16-19th century slang for a half-penny. ‘Bob’ was also used to refer to a set of changes rung on church bells, and this may have been the nickname’s origin as the word ‘shilling’ has its origins in the proto-Germanic word ‘skell’ which means ‘ring’.

It doesn't sound the same, does it 5p a job week.

Image result for scout 5p a job week
In its previous format, officially known as Scout Job Week, it was started during Easter week 1949 and became an annual fixture. The scheme got its nickname from shilling, colloquially 'bob', that the youngsters were paid for completing their good turn - which would now be worth 5p

Coin Nicknames | The Royal Mint

Bob – The subject of great debate, as the origins of this nickname are unclear although we do know that usage of bob for shilling dates back to the late 1700s. Brewer’s 1870 Dictionary of Phrase and Fable states that ‘bob’ could be derived from ‘Bawbee’, which was 16-19th century slang for a half-penny. ‘Bob’ was also used to refer to a set of changes rung on church bells, and this may have been the nickname’s origin as the word ‘shilling’ has its origins in the proto-Germanic word ‘skell’ which means ‘ring’.
Brought back memories of a song we learned from travelling scottish folk singers that came to our school around 1958...

Reading that, I concluded that my wife would not have a clue what this was all about:):)
Dave A
define. greengrocers would sort out the bad bruised fruit from the rest, and running a business they could not give the bruised fruit away, so they sold it to the kids for a penny (1d old money) a bag.

define. greengrocers would sort out the bad bruised fruit from the rest, and running a business they could not give the bruised fruit away, so they sold it to the kids for a penny (1d old money) a bag.
Where I lived, the term "got any specks"was our way of getting something for nothing, we never paid for specks...
Dave A

Now that Boris has got us out of the Eu (well almost) wouldn`t it be nice if he got rid of decimal money & reverted back to the old pounds shillings & pence. It would be nice but rather chaotic! I remember when they brought out the gold looking £ coin. My late mother in law gave me a pound coin & saying, "here's a gold sovereign for you son". It wasn`t just old people who found the new decimal coins confusing, i think quite a few of us did! & as for metric, i`m still confused.
[/QUOTE. The UK went decimal a couple of years before joining the EU. It did seem to kick off inflation as I remember how quickly the price of a pint (an important measure to me at the time ) went from two bob to 15p very quickly. This was an increase of 50%. The 70s became the decade of inflation. I am sure there were many causes of this but at the time many people blamed decimalisation for it as it was felt that some retailers were taking advantage in order to put up prices. However I didn't really miss having my pockets bulging with the much larger coins, especially the huge penny.

It doesn't sound the same, does it 5p a job week.

View attachment 141329
In its previous format, officially known as Scout Job Week, it was started during Easter week 1949 and became an annual fixture. The scheme got its nickname from shilling, colloquially 'bob', that the youngsters were paid for completing their good turn - which would now be worth 5p
As Brownies in the 1950s we did "Willing shilling week" Not sure that would be an appropriate fund raising event now!

it would be better if the gallon comes back at the petrol pumps. £1.23 a gallon would be better:)than £1.23 a litre

Hi

Anyone remember 'Pool Petrol' which sold for about 4/3 per gallon
in the early 60s. I believe it was a very low grade fuel which dated from WW11.

I seem to remember that Esso Golden was a favourite 'de luxe' fuel at the time
which sold for 4/11

Kind regards
Dave

Hi

Anyone remember 'Pool Petrol' which sold for about 4/3 per gallon
in the early 60s. I believe it was a very low grade fuel which dated from WW11.

I seem to remember that Esso Golden was a favourite 'de luxe' fuel at the time
which sold for 4/11

Kind regards
Dave

When I first sold petrol at Hawthorn Garage on the Chester Road by the Parson & Clerk in 1950 it was all Pool although the globes on the pumps were from pre war and were National Benzole, Pratts Ethyl, etc.

The price was 1/11d a gallon.

Before I left in 1951 the taxman had added 4d a gallon so it was 2/3d and the cry went up that "This will be the end of motoring!"

Thread has answered the original question, and the most recent posts are off topic. So have slightly pruned and now locked the thread as the question has been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back