• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mom washing the doorstep

This photograph is a lovely bit of social history. How many people remember their mom [or mum if you like] washing the doorstep? And how often? And yet, along with the front net curtains, it was one of the benchmarks by which folks measured up the neighbours. I am afraid that I do not know the exact location - the image is marked Camp Hill area so I guess it could be somewhere like Ravenhurst Street.

Washing The Step.jpg

crikey there were steep steps up to the front door...always said that folk took pride in those days even if their houses were not the best built ones...i know my nan did with her little back to back...the smell of lavender polish mingled with the sunday roast cooking will always stay with me

lyn

this is the great thing about old photo rosie...they evoke so many memories of days gone by...

lyn

This photograph is a lovely bit of social history. How many people remember their mom [or mum if you like] washing the doorstep? And how often? And yet, along with the front net curtains, it was one of the benchmarks by which folks measured up the neighbours. I am afraid that I do not know the exact location - the image is marked Camp Hill area so I guess it could be somewhere like Ravenhurst Street.

View attachment 141874
love the balaclava:grinning:

yes mike they did and nothing unusual to see the ladies actually sweeping the pavements outside their houses...
Astoness said:
bit off topic but i think i will forgive myself as this is such a great photo depicting pride on the streets...taken nearly opposite my old house in villa st i have forgotten the ladies name now but my brother knows it..if only such pride was around in certain areas nowadays..ps i dont think i would have argued with this lady who looks like she is not impressed with the photographer and maybe shouted "get down yer own end" at him lol

lyn
nora mk 1
Villa20St_.jpg

Last edited:
Edwin Withers died in 1888 leaving his properties to his children. He owned Ravenhurst Street numbers 25-29. I presume he rented out each house to tenants. Any images of this end of Ravenhurst? The end nearer to Cheapside?
Thanks in advance.

Edwin Withers seems to appear in many Threads, and perhaps deserves one of his own! He also seems to have owned a
variety of properties. I wonder what type of landlord he was ?

Wonder what happened to the Lorrys that cleaned the streets at night, spraying them with WATER to keep them clean .Suppose they can't do it now because there are to many parked cars

Way, way back in the early Fifties when we lived on The Broadway, an elderly man knocked the door one morning to ask Mom if she'd like him to Cardinal Red the doorstep for a few pence! So he did, and did a few more houses along the way...and was never seen again after that. There was also a different old chap who painted house-numbers on the front doors, but I don't think he lasted long either.

At one time in some villages in Belgium it was a local legal requirement to wash down your doorstep and the roadway into the centre at least once a week. It applied the first time I went to Belgium in about 1965. How many Belgian housewives were knocked down whilst thus engaged I dread to think. I'd be surprised if this is still done today, but you never know.

G

Edwin Withers seems to appear in many Threads, and perhaps deserves one of his own! He also seems to have owned a
variety of properties. I wonder what type of landlord he was ?
Thanks Pedrocut, not sure myself what sort of landowner he was except that he had worked hard all his life, made shrewd business investments and became a typical wealthy Birmingham Victorian gentleman. In fact in his Will he described himself as "Esq" rather than 'Gentleman'.
He may deserve his own thread but I am more interested at this stage in the 13 various properties he acquired and bequeathed to his 12 children.
Grateful for all these bits accumulated here.

Hi,

I remember that a good few years ago, you were responsible
for clearing snow and ice away from the pavement outside your home.

Kind regards
Dave.

Back