• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mohammed - Rocky Lane, Park Lane, William Henry Street?

juneflo

Brummie babby
I am trying to find information about my grandparents. Matilda (Tilly) Mohammed (nee Field) and Wali Mohammed. They had children, Ashriffa, Nazhira and Gulzar, Lived in or around Rocky Lane, Park Lane, William Henry Street - could be any of these or others. I used to get the no. 11 bus from Saltley and it was a short walk to the house if that helps.
Wali died in 1969, he came here from Lahore in the 1940's. They married in 1948 - I've found records on that.
My nan Tilly was a brilliant seamstress and made loads of wedding dresses.
Any info of help finding out about them would be much appreciated.

Hi juneflo welcome to the forum. The only reference I can find is this one from 1939, there was a Matilda living in Belgrave Road.

Attachments

• belgrave-road.jpg
    belgrave-road.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 13
They lived at 4a Rupert St in 1955 and 1960. In 1960 Peter T. Round was also listed in the house

In 1965 they were living at 138 Park Lane, which was almost opposite my uncle's shop at 143 and my auntie's newsagent at 145.

Attachments

• 138parklane.jpg
    138parklane.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 5
No. 138 is the house with the little tree/bush growing in front of it.

Attachments

• parklane22.jpg
    parklane22.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 20
In 1965 they were living at 138 Park Lane, which was almost opposite my uncle's shop at 143 and my auntie's newsagent at 145.
Thank you so much. This has taken me back. I remember going out the back of nan's house and there was a courtyard which now I can see is behind the gates next to the house. I probably went to those shops many times.

Thank you so much. This has taken me back. I remember going out the back of nan's house and there was a courtyard which now I can see is behind the gates next to the house. I probably went to those shops many times.
I imagine you used to get off the bus at Aston Cross and then walk up Park Lane, if you go to this website you can do a virtual walk up the lane.

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

Back