• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Modern Shoe Repairs

S

Steve C

Chain of shops in 1930's and 40's inc Hawthorn Road, Soho Road,
Lozells Rd, Birchfield Road. Any information please

Welcome Steve, I am sure someone may be able to help with your equiry.

Hi Steve,
welcome to the forum.They seemed to have quite a few shops around the city this list is from Kelly's 1949,

Colin

Welcome Steve hope you enjoy your time with us, as you see they can be quick off the mark here, enjoy:)

Colin B: Many thanks for the information and the copy of Kellys, most useful. I believe there is a connection with the company and my wifes family tree, particularly the Hawthorn Road Kingstanding shop. I think the company was part of the Timpson group. Even if there turns out to be no connection the research may prove useful for someone at a later date. Have contacted Timpson, awaiting response.

Thanks also to Moma P and Alf

Steve

Morning Steve,
Sad to say our local Timpsons has just closed down another 10 miles round trip added, plus paying for parking to our itinerary:)

When I was a young sprog I watched my grandfather many evening sat at a cobblers last in the kitchen repairing the family shoes. He would select a piece of leather roughly cut it size then cover one side with a glue and then place it on the shoe he would then tack it in place with little brass tacks. He sometimes would arrange them in little patterns when I was watching.

He would then take a sharp knife and then with the shoe in one hand and the knife in the other he would trim off all the excess leather around the shoe. Then he would use a large rasp to smooth round the rough edges and finally a file would finish of the job. He would then take large brown or black crayon type of thing and heat it over the gas ring and rub it around the rim of the sole so it took on the same colour as the shoe.

If they were my shoes he would then throw them to me saying there you are they should last you at least another six months.

Do you know just reading this thread brought all that back to me as if it was yesterday and it was over 55 years ago.

pmc1947

Back