• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Model shop, Green Lane Small Heath

Juliewykes

Brummie babby
Hello. I'm new to all this. Trying to do some family research. My Nan and Grandad had a small model shop I think on Green Lane Small Heath. Their name was Marshall, they went on to run a pub called the Tile Cottage on the Coventry Road. I would like any information regarding the Model shop. My Mom also worked at a local chippy close to the shop and would also be interested about that. I believe it was ran by the Pantelis family.
Thanks in advance

Kelly's shows an Edward Morgan running The Tile Cottage in 1955,
have you any idea of any dates of your Grandad was at the Model Shop or The Tile Cottage?

tile cottage 247 Coventry rd.PNG

Hello. I'm new to all this. Trying to do some family research. My Nan and Grandad had a small model shop I think on Green Lane Small Heath. Their name was Marshall, they went on to run a pub called the Tile Cottage on the Coventry Road. I would like any information regarding the Model shop. My Mom also worked at a local chippy close to the shop and would also be interested about that. I believe it was ran by the Pantelis family.
Thanks in advance
I lived in Victoria Street... off Green Lane and recall a shop between Carlton Road and Palace Road... we referred to it as the Aeroplane Shop(model planes, etc).
There was at least 4 chip shops on Green Lane.
Just a thought.
Annie

Kelly's shows an Edward Morgan running The Tile Cottage in 1955,
have you any idea of any dates of your Grandad was at the Model Shop or The Tile Cottage?

View attachment 159668
Hi Rob. I would say very early 60s for both. I was born in 63 and think I was born in the model shop. I remember the pub and was about 4 when we left so 67 give or Take!

I lived in Victoria Street... off Green Lane and recall a shop between Carlton Road and Palace Road... we referred to it as the Aeroplane Shop(model planes, etc).
There was at least 4 chip shops on Green Lane.
Just a thought.
Annie
Thanks Annie. Sounds about right. Do you know the name of the road it was on by any chance? Also do you know if Hob Moor Road is in the vicinity please ?

Thanks Annie. Sounds about right. Do you know the name of the road it was on by any chance? Also do you know if Hob Moor Road is in the vicinity please ?
It was actually on Green Lane between Carlton Road and Palace Road.
It sold Airfix kits to make model planes.. My brother was always in there.
Hobmoor Road is further on at the very end of Green Lane opposite Blake Lane.
Annie

In your first post, Julie, you mention the Pantelis family(sounds Greek). The fish and chip shop on Green Lane between Charles Road and Imperial Road was run by Greek Cypriots?
Forgot to say, I'm talking about in 50s/60s.
Annie

hi julie it may help if you can give us some names as well please..makes it easier for our good members to do look ups for you....

lyn

Hi Julie, there was a model shop on the corner of Newlands Road/Green lane. It was one road away from Hobmoor road. It may have been a newsagent too. It sold Airfix kits - it was around 1975-80 that I used to go there. Only other model shop I can think of was Bob's Models on the Coventry Road, by Muntz St., I'm sure I'd know of others on Green Lane as I was so much into it as a hobby.
Jimbo65

In your first post, Julie, you mention the Pantelis family(sounds Greek). The fish and chip shop on Green Lane between Charles Road and Imperial Road was run by Greek Cypriots?
Forgot to say, I'm talking about in 50s/60s.
Annie
Yes they were Cypriot. I don't suppose you can remember the name of the chippy or any of the family names Please? And yes it would be late 50s early 60s. Thank you

Thanks in advance
Julie, Round about 1966/67 there was a chip shop at 292 Green Lane , run by C.K. Pantelie,
this was near Whitehall Road

292 Pantelie.PNG

Looking at RobT's post, I would place what we knew as the 'aeroplane shop' at about 276 (listed as Continental Hairdressers) next to what we called the 'seed shop'.
As previously mentioned, I remember there being four f n c shops along Green Lane in 50s/60s but looks like 292 is the one.
Annie

There was a chip shop at 354 (google street-viewed to find the number), which was run by Cypriots - I used to do 'A' level Physics at Saltley Grammar in 1982 with one (or was it both?) of the lads. Can't recall surnames I'm afraid.

Back