• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Model Lodging House

S

Steve C

The 'Model Lodging House' was on Summer Lane and on the 1881 census there were about 70 men there. Was it literally a lodging house? I checked on Google and find others around the country. What exactly was it?

Don't know much about it, but I found a picture of it.

Last edited:
Probably similar to Rowton House, very primitive conditions in 1948 when I was there installing the fire alarm installation. I remember in particular the huge autoclave in the basement used for delousing the bedding. I can't remember the exact location but I think it was towards the Camp Hill area. Last I heard it was still there but had gone upmarket.

Rowton House is shown on the 1913 maps as been in Deritend, junction of Moseley Street and Alcester Street. It was described in 1903 as the "poor mans hotel"

Last edited:
I have death certificate for Gt Gt Grandfather. His place of death in 1920 given Model Lodging House. Rea Street.His age at death was 82.I have tracked him from his marriage in 1866,He and his wife appeared on census listings 1871.1881 and 1901.I know his wife died in 1905. Then to see him finishing life in such a place is rather a sad end for man who raised large family.

Back