• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mobile Phone Query

Maria Magenta

master brummie
I need to find a way of sending a text message from the web, if possible. I've been doing this for ages with my Orange account, but for some reason they're removing the ability to do that at the end of the month.
I find it a lot easier to use my laptop keyboard then to bang the letters into the phone, which is the old-fashioned kind, if it's a longish message. A more sophisticated phone, which would have an actual keyboard, would be too heavy.
Can anyone suggest anything? It doesn't have to be a free service.

Maria

Thanks, that looks very useful.

Maria
I need to find a way of sending a text message from the web, if possible. I've been doing this for ages with my Orange account, but for some reason they're removing the ability to do that at the end of the month.
I find it a lot easier to use my laptop keyboard then to bang the letters into the phone, which is the old-fashioned kind, if it's a longish message. A more sophisticated phone, which would have an actual keyboard, would be too heavy.
Can anyone suggest anything? It doesn't have to be a free service.

Maria

Download whatsapp for your phone, then on your PC download whatsapp for your PC, easy to link the two and you can either send from your phone or PC, very easy to use.

I have been given an old iphone 6s. Receives email, and I'm sure I have replied to an e-mail. BUT if I write a new mail and try to send I get this following message. "Cannot send mail, check the settings for the outgoing servers in Settings>Mail>Accounts."
Would appreciate some advice.
I use Hotmail(outlook?) Talktalk modem
Thanks, Jim.

I have a 6s as a standby after an upgrade. Perfectly good phone, and I have a friend who uses hotmail on theirs, so they are compatible. Did you or the donor completely wipe the phone to make it 'as new' ? Do you have an Apple account to log the phone into ? I guess you are logged onto your own WiFi, the modem shouldn't matter in this case. Do you have SIM in the phone ? It will do everything OK without one provided it is on your WiFi, including making and receiving calls if your operator allows it. Being able to receive emails, you must already have Hotmail partially set up, but the phone does not know the sending protocol to use, or your Hotmail password for sending, or some other part of the process. All of these will be public except your password so you can find them relatively easily. You probably know this, but the phone receives and sends by logging itself onto your Hotmail account. If you have difficulties, I can dig out my own 6s and work through the menus with you if you wish.
Is the 6s up to date, it should be on IOS 15.5. (Settings > General > Software Update). Always best to start from there.
Andrew.

I have been given an old iphone 6s. Receives email, and I'm sure I have replied to an e-mail. BUT if I write a new mail and try to send I get this following message. "Cannot send mail, check the settings for the outgoing servers in Settings>Mail>Accounts."
Would appreciate some advice.
I use Hotmail(outlook?) Talktalk modem
Thanks, Jim.
Jim, to Andrews point below, you might just have to reconfigure the phone if it was cleaned out when given to you. You might just want to go to your wireless provider (it should be a quick fix) or walk through it with Andrew....

I have a 6s as a standby after an upgrade. Perfectly good phone, and I have a friend who uses hotmail on theirs, so they are compatible. Did you or the donor completely wipe the phone to make it 'as new' ? Do you have an Apple account to log the phone into ? I guess you are logged onto your own WiFi, the modem shouldn't matter in this case. Do you have SIM in the phone ? It will do everything OK without one provided it is on your WiFi, including making and receiving calls if your operator allows it. Being able to receive emails, you must already have Hotmail partially set up, but the phone does not know the sending protocol to use, or your Hotmail password for sending, or some other part of the process. All of these will be public except your password so you can find them relatively easily. You probably know this, but the phone receives and sends by logging itself onto your Hotmail account. If you have difficulties, I can dig out my own 6s and work through the menus with you if you wish.
Is the 6s up to date, it should be on IOS 15.5. (Settings > General > Software Update). Always best to start from there.
Andrew.
Andrew, Thanks for response. Yes to 15.5. yes to Apple account, Logged to Wifi, Yes to Sim, I think it was "as new" Any hints of how to adjust it's settings would be appreciated, perhaps we should use "conversation" facility. Jim.

Andrew.
Just a thankyou to Andrew, we have exchanged a good few messages on "correspondence" and I now have an iphone that sends emails.

I have another query - could anyone advise? My very old Nokia, a straightforward one (no email or internet) has started making a screeching noise when it gets a call, then doesn't take the call. It either screeches or makes a very quiet sound, like a text alert. This seems to happen when a call comes from another mobile, not from a landline.
Should I just give up on it, or is there something I could do?

They're people I know and not using WhatApp or anything like that.
I'm on EE and there's no problem with making calls. It was sudden, starting about six weeks ago. I'm not sure what model it is - I'll have to find out!

What you are hearing sounds like a 'data burst' that your phone does not know how to handle. It may be that EE have reduced their 2G mobile service in your area, in favour of installing the new shiny 5G. All the networks originally wanted it gone in 2022, but were put under pressure because other things use it. (Some burglar alarms and GPS vehicle trackers). If your Nokia is 'new' enough, it can possibly have been pushed into using 3G. That may have opened it up to data communication 'internet' even though it can't use it. The noise you hear may be coming from the mobile that is calling you as it tries to identify your phone's capability. Those noises would not normally come out of the earpiece, but be dealt with inside the phone. Hence my query about WhatsApp and the like, but it doesn't have to be just that. Your Nokia may simply not understand it. If the early implementation of 3G on your Nokia was imperfect, this may cause the phone to abort the whole thing. On 2G this is unlikely to have happened as it is not normally seen as data capable. Landlines will not do this, the landline phone network just hands a voice channel to the mobile network, without caring about the G factor.
If this is the case, your Nokia has had its day sorry to say. There are other tests that can be done, but I suspect that they would interesting to me but just be a tedious way for you to confirm you need another phone.
2G and 3G are in their notice period for withdrawal, anything you get now (beware second hand) will be 4G. Over here the mobile phone operators are quite aggressive in 5G marketing. Given a suitable phone, I can have 5G connections for no extra charges, and they offer me 'super deals' on 5G phones regularly. They want 2G, 3G and 4G gone as soon as possible to concentrate their resources. Probably the same over there.

Andrew.

Back