• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mitt Romney

mossg

master brummie
I have just found out that the maternal grandfather of US presidential candidate Mitt Romney was born in Birmingham.
I wonder if Mike could pinpoint where house 3, 30 court, Carver street,Ladywood was? Moss

Court 30 is marked in red. Presumably no 2 was one of the houses at the other end of the yard. His grandfather would no doubt be turning in his grave at his offspring's antics

map_c_1913_court_30_carver_st.jpg

Mike,Thanks for the map and yes i agree that his grandfather would shudder at some of his faux pas.Lets hope he takes after his fathers side of the family.moss

Lets HOPE HE WINS! As a Brit in Yank land we have now, in my mind the worse President we have EVER had, Like Mitt, Obamas family had ties to GREAT BRITIAN, Obama and I have true facts to this, WAS born in KENYA! So he is a BRITISH CITZ? NOW Can someone clear up something for me. When I left Brum in 1957 I had never heard of UNITED KINGDOM! Great Britian yes, BUT UK? When did this change happen. was it voted on. did the Queen OK it did. you have a 'change over to UK day'. WHEN? Why do the Olympics NOT have a UNITED KINDOM team? they have a GREAT BRITIAN one. Whats left of the UNITED KINGDOM? to be UNITED? Duh! John Crump OldgoingbonkersBrit. Parker, Co USA

Interesting question John. I have not the answer but I am sure someone on here will have. Like your new name but sure you are not going that way. Jean.

Mitt Romney? Do me a favour....

The Act Of Union of 1800 (I believe) brought about the political union of England, Wales and Scotland with Ireland, and the resulting nation was known as The United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Ireland. So the term 'United Kingdom' has been around a long, long time. Since Eire gained independance (1922, was it?) it's now Northen Ireland rather than Ireland in the nation's title. Personally, I prefer 'United Kingdom' over 'Great Britain', as the term 'Great Britain' was coined at some time to distinguish this country from Brittany in France. Anyway, it's past my bedtime...

G

Last edited:
Not sure if he will make a good president USA, but as a "foot in mouth league player" should get to the top of his sport!!!!!!
paul

Would this be Mit Romneys, Birmingham relatives in 1891 Cesus, who previously lived in Carver Street, Hockley?

Any of them still living in Brum?

Piece: RG12/2407 Place: Aston -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 35
Civil Parish: Deritend Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church
Folio: 50 Page: 15 Schedule: 90
Address: 67 Kendal Rd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
LAFOUNT Robert A Head M M 35 Clerk Merchants(Em'ee) Worcestershire - Belbroughton
LAFOUNT Emily E Wife M F 32 - Warwickshire - Birmingham
LAFOUNT Harold A Son - M 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
LAFOUNT Elsie E M Dau - F 10 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
LAFOUNT Arthur C Son - M 6

How come we did not learn this in school? Now you mention it I do remember it! BUT WHY and WHEN did everyone seem to start using the UK bit? Re Romney we have as usual the option of voting for the best or worse of two evils, This country, USA is in TRILLIONS of dollars in debt and I think the USA will soon become part of the Republic of CHINA! Obama true to politics is in my mind nothing but an outright liar. He has broken EVERY promise he made to the idiots that voted for him. NO wonder he is always smiling, he has conned the USA not too mention the that the Democratic party have covered up the fact that he WAS born in Kenya NOT THE USA as the constitution say a president should be. Thats WHY I CANT BE PRES OF THE USA! John Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

The biggest problem with Obama is , that the worlds underclass view him as weak!!, you can be the President of the USA and a crook, liar, incompetent, but you can never be thought of as weak, very dangerous for the free world!!!!!!!!!!
paul

This thread (probably inevitably) tends to drift away from mossg's original interesting information concerning the Romney Birmingham connection and towards political opinion and comment. Could we not lose sight of the fact, please, that it's the former which is appropriate to the history sections of this Forum, rather than the latter.

Is there more to be revealed about the Lafount family and Carver Street, Ladywood?

Chris

Back