• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mitchell's & Butler's Ltd.

Hi. The photo of your grandfather and his shop brought back memories. We lived at 151 Cape Hill. My father was a dentist. George Duncan. There was also a newsagent called (I think) Highams. Also a small tailors shop. Across the road by the brewery gates I seem to remember a little pub called The Locomotive Engine. Happy days!
Hi, I was wondering if there were photos of the Locomotive Engine Inn ? My father was a barman there in 1911 ? JohnS

The M&B swimming club in 1931. Viv.256FB70F-B8DB-4DDA-B11F-15F46966A8B7.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Flowers was brewed in Stratford upon Avon but had wider influence. Abetted by the adverts on Stratford Blue buses I guess - which covered much of the South Midlands and beyond.

Flowers was brewed in Stratford upon Avon but had wider influence. Abetted by the adverts on Stratford Blue buses I guess - which covered much of the South Midlands and beyond.
Yes, I know we used to get it at a pub that was before we got to Henley in Arden. Maybe about 5 miles before.

Richard,
Drove thro' Henley on the way to work for 22 years, 5 miles before would probably be Hockley Heath. Nags Head/Wayfarer/Nags head (altho' I think it has changed again!), The Wharf, Royal Oak, Barn. The only Flowers pub I can remember was just down the road in Lapworth, The Boot. edit - but that was late 50's early 60's
John

Richard,
Drove thro' Henley on the way to work for 22 years, 5 miles before would probably be Hockley Heath. Nags Head/Wayfarer/Nags head (altho' I think it has changed again!), The Wharf, Royal Oak, Barn. The only Flowers pub I can remember was just down the road in Lapworth, The Boot. edit - but that was late 50's early 60's
John
Thank you Sajohn..........

Your timeline is spot on, 58 to 62 as I left Brum in November 1962.

If you were heading south toward Henley on the Stratford Rd, it was off to the left up a short road. My best friend Ron Cook & I would go there. He worked at Dunlop & I at Brooke Tool, we met at day release studying HNC.
I want to say the Barn or the Boot. We would go on a Friday & Saturday nights and then started to play darts.. We enjoyed it so much that we went to a place by the Bull Ring and purchased our own long flight darts.

Right before I left for the US a group of us went to the Gay Dog just outside of Stratford which also served Flowers, we had too much that night and ended up at the El Sombrero (off topic sorry) on Bristol Rd.

Thanks for rekindling some wonderful memories!

Richard,
Yes, left down Old Warwick Road if coming from B'ham along the A34 & probably 4+km. Didnt seem that far 59 years ago!
John

Last edited:
I worked for M&B in the early 80’s in the design office of the Chief Architect, John Bourne, a gentleman of the old school. In my time there I was lucky to have access to the M&B photographic archive of the huge building programme of the 1920’s with some of the most iconic pubs featuring photographed on the day they opened, pristine and ready for customers. It was a fabulous set of albums and I hope they were preserved some where for posterity.
There was also a wealth of memorabilia kept in Bunty's Parlour, that would have been worth having.

Seems so Mike. Very little left. Also the earlier clubhouse seems to have been recently replaced. Viv.

490D28E2-2365-48E1-90C5-0AA59CF0BFF2.jpegC8BEF2F5-05B0-433B-9A50-502D6D14A495.jpeg

This might be the structure that’s in the background of the photo in post #196. Not 100% sure, but possibly. Viv.

D8AAF627-9C85-4D08-A995-AA59ED7F68DC.jpeg

Back