• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mitchell's & Butler's Ltd.

I always drank in M&B pubs, don`t really know why. My favourite tipple was a brown & mild, (half of mild, half of bottle brown ) Sometimes i would ask for a black & tan & for the life of me i can`t remember what went into that?
Loved their bitter..really miss it!

I am just curious most beers we get in the USA seem to be around 5-6% alc content. What was beer Alc content% in England in the 19401950s ? I told once that English beer was much weaker, so people drank more and did not get so drunk and the beer companies made it that way on purpose to sell more??
I think its he other way around...….Most US domestic beers are lighter. Mild & brown ales/beer are generally heavier, even bitter is. Some of the new IPA's are stronger what they call 90 day. Hope that helps

I think its he other way around...….Most US domestic beers are lighter. Mild & brown ales/beer are generally heavier, even bitter is. Some of the new IPA's are stronger what they call 90 day. Hope that helps
I agree on IPA I was just curious what the old pint of bitter was use to drink a lot back in the day, but maybe 0f course old age takes it toll also thanks

I agree on IPA I was just curious what the old pint of bitter was use to drink a lot back in the day, but maybe 0f course old age takes it toll also thanks
I agree....my favorite bitters were M& B and flowers keg bitter! 20 fl oz was a (still is) a big glass!

I worked for M&B in the early 80’s in the design office of the Chief Architect, John Bourne, a gentleman of the old school. In my time there I was lucky to have access to the M&B photographic archive of the huge building programme of the 1920’s with some of the most iconic pubs featuring photographed on the day they opened, pristine and ready for customers. It was a fabulous set of albums and I hope they were preserved some where for posterity.

I worked for M&B in the early 80’s in the design office of the Chief Architect, John Bourne, a gentleman of the old school. In my time there I was lucky to have access to the M&B photographic archive of the huge building programme of the 1920’s with some of the most iconic pubs featuring photographed on the day they opened, pristine and ready for customers. It was a fabulous set of albums and I hope they were preserved some where for posterity.
Well forgive me here but a enterprising person needs to chase down those albums and make sure they are available for many to see, I can not imagine how much history they contain I am sure a real treasure trove.

Best of luck with that one, I imagine Coors might have them in Burton as they took the brewing arm of Bass, I doubt the M& B
Offices in Brum would know nothing of them as they are just a brand now.

Best of luck with that one, I imagine Coors might have them in Burton as they took the brewing arm of Bass, I doubt the M& B
I understand Birmingham is losing its pubs along with the community's they served, the thing a lot of folks may not understand pubs where the meeting place for all before TV and even radio its where every one came together the real Facebook.
Lets hope that Coors hired some English folks that understand our history, if not we have a Brummie in CO we can get to knock down their headquarters.

The comment about beer sales probably suggests why so many pubs have closed, apart of course re-development criteria.
Contact info (in Birmingham) is here:
It does say that only M&B questions are accepted, which might be good news.
Step up to it you former M&B drinkers. former Ansells, Atkinsons and Dares drinkers are excused. :D

I agree with Bob, it would sure be worth a try if you could find someone to follow up with. Coors is now a part of SAB which is a British company. It would be wonderful to find some of the history of Brumm!

Hi All
You may already have this information.
Henry Mitchell's private company was founded in 1888.
This firm had grown from the business of the brewery from
the Old Crown, Oldbury Road Smethwick, which had started in 1866,
and in 1898 Henry joined forces with William Butler.

Does anyone know, when and where Henry Mitchell was born please,
and also did any of the Butler family marry into the Mitchell family?

P-P
Sorry to jump onto this post....Only I ve been made aware of a NELLIE BUTLER.....who was married to my great Grandfather JOHN PATRICK TURNER....Im hoping if anybody would be able to shed some light on further family connections of who the parents were of NELLIE........thank you

I agree with Bob, it would sure be worth a try if you could find someone to follow up with. Coors is now a part of SAB which is a British company. It would be wonderful to find some of the history of Brumm!
I did follow up today with a friend who was a senior finance person with Miller (US) Miller/Coors now Molson/Coors and no longer part of SAB. He has a good friend who was a master brewer with Coors (retired) he will get in touch and see if they can help locate the M&B archive. Its a bit of a long shot but well see.

Back