• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mitchell's & Butler's Ltd.

My Dads family all worked for M&Bs at Cape Hill including my dad until he went off to the RAF & then defected to Ansells when he got out! My grandad was Horace Molyneux and his Dad was Enoch they came from Handsworth.

I have just come across this Thread and it seems to be the only link on the WWW that refers to The Beehive M&B house on Cape Hill Smethwick. I've searched for years for a hit ! Why ? Because I was born in the Beehive in September 1949. My parents Dennis and Kathlyn MOODY ran the pub and used to tell me stories about the customers and the goings-on during Rationing! Does anyone have any old photos of the pub or does anyone remember my parents, who are now both in their 90's and living in Oxfordshire?
After The Beehive they moved on to another M&B house, The Frighted Horse on the Soho Rd Handsworth.
It would be amazing if anyone has any fond memories I could pass back to my folks.

Hello
My great grandfather, William Waters Butler, was born down the road from the Beehive in London Street in a pub, The London works Tavern: sadly now due for demolitiion to make way for a new hospital. The whole area at the bottom of Cape Hill is very different now.
Best wishes

Hello
The railway line you mention went right back down the brewery for 600 yards, slipped under the canal feeder and came out close to Rotton Park Road, joining the Harborne branch which in turn joined the main Birmingham-Wolverhampton line at Monument Lane. Obviously all long gone now: if you need any other info please ask............
Best wishes

Reading Smethwick Striver's post, it took me back. My grandfather owned an electrical shop on the opposite side of Cape Hill, across from the main gates of M & B. For the first few years of my life, my parents and I lived beind the shop. As a very young child, I recall going to the Christmas parties held in the brewery with their own firemen supervising the event. When we had a street party in Raglan Road, we all wore fancy dress, and I went as Britannia. For my helmet, Dad borrowed one from a M & B fireman and painted it silver.

I well remember the Beehive Public House. My grandparents lived a short way up Cape Hill from the shop, and they had a back entry which came out in Raglan Road. I would leave the shop, and go past the newsagents, then turn into Raglan Road where I met my grandfather. He would be carrying a jug, and had been to the Beehive. When I asked what was in the jug, he told me it was special brown milk. I believed him, as our milk was delivered to the shop in churns, and we had to supply our own jugs to carry it into the kitchen. No throw-away plastic cartons, nor even glass milk bottles in those days.

If you lived in Raglan Road, you would have attended Cape Board School I expect. I remember the Infants and Juniors were two separate schools. I was only in the Infants for a few weeks after September, and I caught measles, mumps and whooping cough in quick succession, and didn't go back to school until after the Easter holiday. When I returned, I'd spent such a long time in bed and could only do jigsaws and reading, so I had passed everyone else in my class. I finished the whole reading scheme for the Infants, and then had to walk around to the Juniors to change my reading book two or three times a week. I thought (at 5) that I was the 'bees knees' going up into the other school for my books.

Hello.
Could you give any idea of the years you are talking about here please?
My own interest is especially related to the brewery itself:) and i would be very intererested to hear of any more memories you may have.
Best wishes
Mark
Reading Smethwick Striver's post, it took me back. My grandfather owned an electrical shop on the opposite side of Cape Hill, across from the main gates of M & B. For the first few years of my life, my parents and I lived beind the shop. As a very young child, I recall going to the Christmas parties held in the brewery with their own firemen supervising the event. When we had a street party in Raglan Road, we all wore fancy dress, and I went as Britannia. For my helmet, Dad borrowed one from a M & B fireman and painted it silver.

I well remember the Beehive Public House. My grandparents lived a short way up Cape Hill from the shop, and they had a back entry which came out in Raglan Road. I would leave the shop, and go past the newsagents, then turn into Raglan Road where I met my grandfather. He would be carrying a jug, and had been to the Beehive. When I asked what was in the jug, he told me it was special brown milk. I believed him, as our milk was delivered to the shop in churns, and we had to supply our own jugs to carry it into the kitchen. No throw-away plastic cartons, nor even glass milk bottles in those days.

If you lived in Raglan Road, you would have attended Cape Board School I expect. I remember the Infants and Juniors were two separate schools. I was only in the Infants for a few weeks after September, and I caught measles, mumps and whooping cough in quick succession, and didn't go back to school until after the Easter holiday. When I returned, I'd spent such a long time in bed and could only do jigsaws and reading, so I had passed everyone else in my class. I finished the whole reading scheme for the Infants, and then had to walk around to the Juniors to change my reading book two or three times a week. I thought (at 5) that I was the 'bees knees' going up into the other school for my books.

I was born in 1947, and lived on Cape Hill opposite the gates of Mitchells and Butlers Brewery for the first 6 or 7 years of my life. When we moved to a road which was further up 'the Cape', off Waterloo Road, my grandfather still had the electrical shop.
Much of the contracting work he did was for Mitchells and Butlers. They had a Survey Department, and it was the job of the Surveyors (amongst other things) to see to the maintenance of the public houses. If anything went wrong, day or night, to do with the electrics, then it was my grandfather's firm that was called out.

When M&B decided to 'move with the times' and refurbish some of their pubs, my Dad worked with the surveyors and architects to design the new layout and to work with a theme. I remember one pub near to Coventry Airport which had pictures of aircraft painted on the walls and ceilings. A special paint was applied, which glowed in ultra-violet light. When Dad fitted the lights, he got a similar affect when the girls were dancing, wearing white blouses. He also designed a record deck and speakers for the DJ, which would flash coloured lights with the beat of the music being played. Unfortunately he never patented it, and since that time (in the 1960s) you started to see those pulsating lights all over the place. Even today the DJ often have their own sets of pulsating lights with them on stage.

I don't know if you have heard the reason that the brewery was sited in Cape Hill.

My Dad told me that there was an artesian well near to the top end of the land, so the brewery had its own water supply. I seem to remember him telling me that there was a row about it, because someone else had been relying on the water, but once it was being used for the brewing, the other users couldn't have it any more. I'll try and get him to tell me the full story, if he can remember it.

Hello again,
This is so interesting! I am nearing completing a book about the brewery and the Butler family which will be published in September. I have asked the forum to pass on my emial address to you and would very much like to ask you a few further questions if you do not mind.:)
Very best wishes
Mark
I was born in 1947, and lived on Cape Hill opposite the gates of Mitchells and Butlers Brewery for the first 6 or 7 years of my life. When we moved to a road which was further up 'the Cape', off Waterloo Road, my grandfather still had the electrical shop.
Much of the contracting work he did was for Mitchells and Butlers. They had a Survey Department, and it was the job of the Surveyors (amongst other things) to see to the maintenance of the public houses. If anything went wrong, day or night, to do with the electrics, then it was my grandfather's firm that was called out.

When M&B decided to 'move with the times' and refurbish some of their pubs, my Dad worked with the surveyors and architects to design the new layout and to work with a theme. I remember one pub near to Coventry Airport which had pictures of aircraft painted on the walls and ceilings. A special paint was applied, which glowed in ultra-violet light. When Dad fitted the lights, he got a similar affect when the girls were dancing, wearing white blouses. He also designed a record deck and speakers for the DJ, which would flash coloured lights with the beat of the music being played. Unfortunately he never patented it, and since that time (in the 1960s) you started to see those pulsating lights all over the place. Even today the DJ often have their own sets of pulsating lights with them on stage.

I don't know if you have heard the reason that the brewery was sited in Cape Hill.

My Dad told me that there was an artesian well near to the top end of the land, so the brewery had its own water supply. I seem to remember him telling me that there was a row about it, because someone else had been relying on the water, but once it was being used for the brewing, the other users couldn't have it any more. I'll try and get him to tell me the full story, if he can remember it.

Hi Nan, that was my job every Friday afternoon, take the accumulator to our local ironmongers shop
and bring the charged one back, he used to charge us 2pennys, or tupance, Happy Days, Bring back
"Dick Barton" Bernard

Reading the posts regarding the quality and taste of various beers I remember a saying that drinking Courage Bitter" Was like making love in a punt,to close to water" considering that the original brewery was along side the Thames near Tower Bridge i'm not surprised, but it is also said that there are no bad beers, some are just better than others.
My uncle Will Bradley worked at M&Bs for many years pre and after WWII, he was a "Coppersmith" by trade. He lived in Salisbury Road, off Cape Hill where his wife ran a small general shop.
"Any Road Up" CHEERS , Reg the Roverman.

Hello Moss
I'm a descendant of the Butler family and am publishing a book in September all about M&B. Do you know who has the copyright to this picture that you posted in 2008 as I would like to use it.
Best wishes
Mark young (mother nee Butler)
[email protected]

Hello
I have managed to sort out the copyright on this picture: it belongs to the Sandwell Archive.
Best wishes
Mark

Hi Mark
I hope you enjoyed your stroll up (or was it down) Cape Hill this week. So sorry I couldn't join you, but I've been working every day this week. Hopefully things will ease soon, as we come to the end of the Summer Term.
Pam

Mark Young is launching his new book "Good Honest Beer" about M&B Brewery tomorrow at M&B Old Fire Station, Cape Hill, 11.30-2.00

£15 but £12 on the day.

Mark is grandson of Sir William Butler - who of course is buried in Key Hill Cemetery and is one our regular Monthly Tours!

Go and see the man, but the book, come and visit the Founder!!!!!!!!!!

All set to travel down the M6 tomorrow, and looking forward to seeing Mark and buying a couple of copies of the book. I hope there's a good turn-out for him.

HI NannyPam,

Hope you got down safe enough today - it had turned into an M&B reunion when I left this morning!

Picked up a book for myself, and a copy for potential raffle prize at one of the many meet ups!

It was a good launch with a nice display of old memorabilia.

Cape Hill Brewery - now a massive housing estate courtesy of Persimmon Homes.
The factory Fire Station survives as a marketing Suite! and was used for the book launch.
Mark Young is gt Grandson of William Butler who founded the business, behind him in a tea shirt is Vernon - 39 years M&B services and collector of M&B memorabilia.
The Factory War Memorial still stands within the housing estate just outside the Fire Station - many M&B employees are recorded and atre obviously well remembered every year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your concern. The M6 behaved itself on the way south, so I got there in 65 minutes. I knew it was due to start at 11.30, and when I got there at 11.15 the car park was nearly full, and the room likewise! I managed to get myself 5 books. One for me, one for my Dad (who I got a couple of anecdotes off for Mark) and one for my three cousins, as my grandfather's shop is mentioned in the book, and he's their grandfather as well.
I met the brother of my Dad's best friend and next door neighbour, (Vernon) and had a long chat with him. I've given him my Dad's phone number and address, as he lives about 5 minutes drive away from my Dad's house. They both shop in the same Sainsbury's, so they might even have been 'trolleys that pass in the night', so to speak!
I was disappointed for Mark that no-one from M&B came. They were invited to send a representative, but declined. I would have thought it would have been good PR and certainly good publicity for them. Their answer seemed to be, that they don't brew beer any more!
I got a lovely cupcake and a drink of tea, and chatted with some of Mark's relations. Most other people seemed to be ex employees of M&B, as you remarked. It was lovely to hear all the Brummie voices around me again, as I've been left now for more than 45 years.
I overhead a conversation about the man taking photos. It seems that he wasn't from a particular newspaper, but he will supply the photos to local newspapers that want to run them. My son lives in Quinton, so I'll ask him to keep an eye open in the Birmingham Mail.
A most enjoyable day. The M6 played up a bit on the return journey, but that's nothing unusual, especially on a Friday.

WE were in the room at the same time!
I got there early, about 10.35 - had my Forum badge on as well as my Friends of key Hill badge. Chatted to mark and Vernon about the William Butler in Key Hill - the rest mostly went to Lodge Hill once they were knighted!

Got away just before 12?

Cupcake was lovely - I've kept th M&B flag off it - Had to drink the tea quickly - they were short of cups and wanted back asap!

Glad the M6 behaved itself - unusual!

Nannypam
Not only don't they brew beer anymore, they aren't really interested in selling it, other than as an adjunct to food.

Back