• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mitchell's & Butler's Ltd.

C

clareharvey800

As teenagers, my g grandfather William Arnold and his friend Henry Mitchell, use to brew beer in their back gardens as a hobbie in the 1850's.
Henry Mitchell . asked my g grandfather to go into business with him brewing their own beer, but william refused the offer, thinking it a silly idea!!!!
Henry found another friend called William Butler to go into business with .... and the rest is history.....
Today Mitchells & Butlers operates many of the UK’s leading licensed retail brands including Vintage Inns, Toby Carvery, Ember Inns, O'Neill's, All Bar One and Sizzling Pub Co., as well as some of the most famous pubs in Britain. It continues to evolve and develop its estate of pub and pub restaurants to meet the ever more discerning tastes of the British public, ensuring it remains at the forefront of the UK pub industry.

what a silly g grandfather i had??? ;-) :rolleyes:

Hi Clareharvey800:

That`s a very interesting story. I expect your g.grandfather made his mind up at the time and that was that. Missed opportunity.:(

HIYA,i work in Sir William Butler's home .... it is magnificent... he was worth half a million 1939 when he died.

i have researched the house and the Butler family some what and would be happy take photos for anyone who has ancestors who were servants in the house...Southfield Edgbaston.

Dj

Where is the house please DjFrench? I am sure it is magnificent and it would be great to see some photos. What sort of work do you do at the home?
Thanks.

Hi, i'm a receptionist for a property developer. It is on Norfolk Road.
Someone will have to explain how i post the photos as i am new to this site, i am au fait with Roots chat but not with this site and how large the photos are allowed to be

Dj

Hi clareharvey800,

Oh...so near, and yet so far :( Wonder if it will be the same for me?

Hi djFRENCH,

You mention that you have done some research on the Butler family. It has always been said in my family that we were related to William Butler of M&B, though during my own researches I've never proven this fact.

Have you ever come across any connection to George & Mary Ann Butler of West Bromwich who moved to Erdington and purchased the Cross Keys Inn c1864? They ran it until 1892.............Or George Ernest & Drucilla Butler of Erdington?

Many thanks.....Florence :)

Hi

I have also had the story that I am related to Henry Mitchell of Mitchell's and Butler's. But unfortunately my great Aunt, died before she had the chance to tell me the full story.
I have found it fasinating, as I have the Arnold family in my tree, and also some Butler's. I have not yet found the connection while searching.

taken from a 1999 evening mail this has to be one of the most delightful pics i have seen....its of the m & b brewery cape hill...

lyn:)

Attachments

• Cape Hill M & B Brewery Cape Hill.jpg
    Cape Hill M & B Brewery Cape Hill.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 57
Lyn what a wonderful photo. I will save it if you don't mind as William Butler is buried in Key Hill Cemetery. I am trying to put some info together on people buried there. Photo's are always nice to add to a piece.
Thanks yet again.......:):):):)

hi wendy...please feel free..i didnt know willaim butler was buried at key hill...never to old to learn are we....as you can see the pic came on both sides of the paper..i have done my best but you can see the joins.....:D:D

sorry wendy..i forgot to say good luck with your project....anything i can help with pics wise just let me know....

Yes William died in 1907 aged 64. He was a very popular man and did a lot for the community. He was held in such high esteem by the people of Brum they showed their respect by the crowds of people who lined the whole length of the streets when the cortège passed on the day of his funeral. 15,000 people visited the cemetery on the day after to also show their respects and view the hundreds of floral tributes.

The picture will be fine thanks, although it would be nice to know where the original is.:)

thanks for that info wendy...most interesting...its one of carl chinns pics so i would imagine the original is in the archives.....

Hi All.
To Clareharvey800.
could you please tell me, if your g grandfather was any connection to a Lucy Dell Arnold born 1815 or Francis Arnold born 1780 in Birmingham Warwickshire, Lucy was married to my 3rd g grandfather Henry Mitchell also born in 1815 in Birmingham. I have found the stories of Cape Hill and M&B brewery most fascinating, I have do a little reading on it, and I have seen a picture of Henry Mitchell with William Butler on their website,and I must say that Henry Looks very much like my belated Uncle and a close resemblance, (when he gets to that age) my brother, but I am still unable to find any of the family stories of us being related to M&B in my research.
Names I am researching are Mitchell, Arnold, Butler, Wheatley, Davis, Dell, Brice
Wishing you all a safe and peaceful weekend.

hi there - Sir William Waters Butler who died in 1939 is buried in Lodge Hill Cemetery . Were you meaning william Butler born 1843 whose is buried in Key hill ?
Dj

hi there - Sir William Waters Butler who died in 1939 is buried in Lodge Hill Cemetery . Were you meaning william Butler born 1843 whose is buried in Key hill ?
Dj

The info I have from my records is William Butler born Leicestershire came to brum in 1858 and in 1866 started in the brewing industry amalgamating his business in 1897 with Henry Mitchell & Co which started the firm of Mitchells and Butlers Ltd. I assume Sir William Waters Butler was his son.:)

hi Wendy
i was just clarifying really.Yes he was Williams son. William senior lived in Selly Park, his father was a hosiery manufacturer.
i work in Sir Williams house. i love the house and the Butler story.

Dj

Hi All
You may already have this information.
Henry Mitchell's private company was founded in 1888.
This firm had grown from the business of the brewery from
the Old Crown, Oldbury Road Smethwick, which had started in 1866,
and in 1898 Henry joined forces with William Butler.

Does anyone know, when and where Henry Mitchell was born please,
and also did any of the Butler family marry into the Mitchell family?

P-P

This is truly sensational. i wish there was more material like this around.
I was always lead to believe that my great uncle owned/ ran the Camp hill Brewery, but no strong evidence but a few letters to Australia on company letterhead.
Anyway, lucky you guys
Marg:hoteyes::hoteyes:

Back