• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mitchell & Butler Playing Cards

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
I've just been given six M&B playing cards, I understand that there were sixteen different packs issued by the brewery, possibly in the 60's.
Anyone know what other pubs were shown on the cards.

Colin

Attachments

• SCAN0245.JPG
    SCAN0245.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 43
  • SCAN0246.JPG
    SCAN0246.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 42
  • SCAN0247.JPG
    SCAN0247.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 40
  • SCAN0248.JPG
    SCAN0248.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 40
  • SCAN0249.JPG
    SCAN0249.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 32
I remember the Travellers Rest Northfield I drank there on some Sundays after Army cadets, I knew the Longbridge too, vast Public House.
paul

I had a drink in the Longbridge many moons ago. You are right it was a huge place sadly flats now. The roof caught fire so it was demolished.

hi there
I My self have got a mans wrist watch which i have for donkeys years the strap is abit tatt now and i think it might need a new spring
and its got the orininal logo within the face ; also i have a series of old ledgers dateing back to the ealy years of pulling the beer off for testing when beer was around 3 d a pint and written in ink and quill ;
best wishes astonian ;;;;;

It would be interesting to find out what other pubs were on the cards. A great find Colin thanks for sharing.

HI COLIN AGAIN
Just wondering whether or not was there onewith the big pub on washood heath rd on it afew years ago some one forewarded
a picture of this pub ;at this precise moment i have just had a memory block thinking of its name
we had a debate over it some people said it as a akingsons house and some ansells and mb ,s house
and it was a huge house and a car park it had to be one of the early public houses being built ;
and it was situated near the ward end park on the hill going towards the fox and goose pub ;it was known to some members as one and to me i said it was some think else but i just cannot get mytonuge around it ;
the particular pub was once on a post card wich when i was a kid found on the street of washwood heath rd way back in the mid ;fiftys
and on that day in question there was a batch of little old shops grouped together which was across the rd from the pub ;
i could not help thinking it got blown off the shops hanger out side the paper shop ; but i picked it toook it home but no sooner i had it i lost it ;
so a quick thought if it might be on one of those cards best wishes astonian;

astonian, is the pub the old swan opposite common lane, which was an ansells house back in the late 1968/9. kind reguards sidwho

Back