• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Missing photos (as a result of Forum hacked 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lyn and all,
I have been replacing my photos to the threads which were lost on this forum. As a fairly new member I have only posted a few,I suppose I am lucky as some member have lost a large amounts like yourself, I have always enjoyed reading the post of all in respect of history and subjects of Birmingham no matter what district, for me it has always been the man/woman in the streets that makes the true history not just noble people of the past and thanks to members of this forum who have done in depth research on a given subject.
The photo's that I have replaced are on The Nechells Baths (using the new copermine system). I found out a way of reattaching my photo's which were posted on the thread, the way I did it was by using the dialog box, this box will open up when you click on the attachment that was posted on the thread but it would load the picture because they had been deleted to the virus, but it allowed me to take note of the picture file name or image number which was given on the right hand side of the box that corresponded to the file name or number on my computer files on the left hand side which gave me the date of post.
But admin has now removed this facility or procedure, it is a shame because for members like yourself it would have been a great aid and help in replacing the lost photos and images that you have posted on the thread, as it didn't matter to what subject and thread on the forum. It a shame the host hadn't backed up this forum up because valuable photographs have been lost for ever.

Pudding

There was misunderstanding on that front between us and the hosts, We thought they did backups they thought we did.
Backups are now in place as a weekly scheduled event.

Onwards and upwards we go then!
Rupert, I think your idea of reposting older historical thread pics sounds great - as a newer member, I was still working my way through lots of threads and I'm sure there will be some I haven't seen yet,as I'dstarted with the latest ones. Looking forward to starting again.
Sue

The following should help you locate where you added pictures previously:
  1. Select the Forum tab on the home page.
  2. From the options underneath the Forum tab, select Forum Actions and then General Settings.
  3. In the left hand panel, scroll down to My settings / Miscellaneous
  4. Click on Attachments. All the attachments you have made previously are shown, together with the thread name. Your total number of images is shown at the top of the table
  5. When you are ready to delete an attachment, click the relevant box on the right-hand side and click "Delete selected"
I have only attcahed a relatively small number of images (166), so I intend to try to work my way through my old posts using this as a reference list and only delete my old attachment once I have re-attached a picture. I guess it's going to take some time, but it will be worth it!

I Would also like to add that i came across this forum whilst going through a low in my life. It gave me a bit of interest as i could not get out of the house at the time... There are lots of people i recommended this to who like me love to see the old photos and read peoples memories. It is great to see everyone pulling together to get the forum back on it,s feet thanks to you all. (Still can,t get my head round uploading photos) but look forward to looking at other peoples contributions.

Personally I'm really enjoying re-visiting the photos/images (or even discovering them for the first time) which people are working hard at uploading to the Coppermine site. It's handy that these are all in one place and you can browse at leisure. Spurs me on to upload more of mine on there - well once I've finished indulging myself in a bit more browsing.:friendly_wink::rapture: Thanks all of you. Viv.

Well, I've started to try to make some sense of the Ann Street thread and put my postings back. I seem to have a lot more pictures than places where I had done attachments! I can only think that I had downloaded some images that others had posted.

Anyone mind if I try to fill in some of the gaps on that thread?

Last edited:
hi lesley oh yes please do....the more of us members that can repost any photos that were lost the better...maybe you could just add the extra pics to the thread...i always liked the ann st thread it was most interesting...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Folks.

I hear that all or picture efforts over the years have been hacked into, by some faceless idiot.

Anyway the good news is all the coloured slides I put over the years are still my hands and this summer after purchasing Photoshop software I have started to refurbish a lot of the damage caused over time.

Also some slide just wasn't worth putting on the Forum have cleaned up reasonable well so there will be the old ones and a number of new ones so far I have done 230 of approx. 400 not perfect but viewable.

What I would like from from Forum freinds is to tell me have they would like them grouped.

I have slides/pictures of Birmingham 2, 4, 6, 7, 18, 19, 2o, which include Aston, Lozells, Nechells/Duddeston, Salford park inc river & canal pictures, witton, Hockley Brook, City Centre.

I'm trying to get them finished by Christmas then start letting you see them on the Forum some are not perfect but they are good enough to view.

What I would like hear from you how you would like the to grouped it's going take sometime to place the Forum and yet to understand how to put them on the Galley.

Ray

Well done Ray, i know it is hard work, i put some of mine into a pixel increase program to enlarge the another program to tart them up a bit. I think regarding where to put them is put the area into the search box and something should show up.
look forward to seing them. As you can see everyone is working hard to put photo's back on.

regards Stars

oh ray what an absolute star you are...i can only imagine how long it will take you to get all these wonderful images ready to post back on the forum for us..as for grouping them how you have suggested sounds good to me...ie all the aston/lozells and hockley under one thread...then another thread for the nechells and duddeston one...and so on...

gosh ray you have your work cut out but cant wait to see the photos...what a christmas present for the forum this will be..

lyn

Last edited:
Over the years I have downloaded images that have been posted on the Forum. I have posted these (2119 in all) on the Forum Image Hosting site in a gallery called Mike_Brummie_Jumble_Sale. I am afraid that they are a jumble - there is some duplication and I am afraid that I have not labled them. Many can be identified from their file name which can be found from the file information in the gallery however and others from street names in the photograph. However, I hope that by posting them it will be of some help

Thanx Mike , I'm sure some members will find your contribution of help, thanx also for taking the time to do this for the site.
I am reposting pic's I have into old threads as I come across them, although this takes time...
Thanx to all the other members also who have posted some of our old pic's to the host site.. at sometime many can be reposted in the right threads too.

I think this is a good idea. I've come across copies I kept of photos that memebers posted pre-hacking, so I'll post any on Coppermine as I come across them in case they're needed. I'll only post them to the original thread if the original poster asks me to as I don't want to take liberties with other people's stuff!!. VIv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back