• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Missing photos (as a result of Forum hacked 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
well folks i know i have not said much over the past week as like a lot of you ive gone through so many emotions over the past 3 weeks or so...hurt..anger.. confusion..sadness just to name a few..first we lost dear mike and then some blithering idiots try to bring the forum down...well it just is not going to happen..for me personally i felt like my right arm had been cut off....the pleasure i get from posting photos that gave so many of you much enjoyment is hard to explain and i promise to try and repost what i can but it is going to take time...plus i need to get plenty of practice on using the new way of uploading(it took me ages to get the hang of the old way lol)... on the posative side many friendships have also been formed thanks to BHF both on the forum and through the many meet ups we have held... and a lot of us including myself have found rellies that we didnt know existed....we now need to continue all pulling together in the same direction and get the forum back to as it was....we can do it and we will do it as its far too good to lose....thats about it then folks..i just wanted you to all know how i have been feeling lately...oh just one last thing i would like to thank leslam(lesley) who has been giving us extra support in helping us not so technical members....as my avatar says its now onwards and upwards from now on....

lyn..xx

the pleasure i get from posting photos

Hi Lyn

I get a great deal of pleasure looking at the photos both you and the other forum members post, so I am really glad to hear that recent events have not put you off.

Just remember that any mindless moron can destroy a thing, but it takes an act of pure genius and hard work to create something of interest to others.

Onwards and upwards....

Also a ditto to both your comments. I also get great pleasure at looking at old street photo's. I like lots of others realy do appreciate you posting your photos. I know it takes a lot of time, but we are all worth pulling together and helping each other, it is what makes this site so good. Well done to all the admin and Warren for all their dedication and hard work to keep this site going.

Regards Stars

Good post Lyn,you know what I am going through at the moment so the Forum is my 'ME time' and
very therapeutic too,LOL.
Just like being amongst old mates.
We owe so much to Warren and Leslam for making it possible to enjoy the forum once again.
Alberta.

hi mortum and yes you are quite right in all you say...at one point i felt just like jim did..ready to throw in the towel but thats not the brummie way is it...i was just thinking about all the old pics of aston and lozells that ray griffiths had posted...about 200 of them that took him ages to transfer from glass plate to the forum...well i saved every single one of them to my files and also have them on disc..hard to know where i should start with reposting but i may start with those and if anyone wishes to borrow my avatar for a while please feel free to do so....

lyn

Last edited:
Also a ditto to both your comments. I also get great pleasure at looking at old street photo's. I like lots of others realy do appreciate you posting your photos. I know it takes a lot of time, but we are all worth pulling together and helping each other, it is what makes this site so good. Well done to all the admin and Warren for all their dedication and hard work to keep this site going.

Regards Stars
remember what goes around, comes around

Well said Lyn - I personally would miss the forum so much and really appreciate the help I've received. Keep up the good work.
Sheri xx

Good post Lyn,you know what I am going through at the moment so the Forum is my 'ME time' and
very therapeutic too,LOL.
Just like being amongst old mates.
We owe so much to Warren and Leslam for making it possible to enjoy the forum once again.
Alberta.

i do know what you mean alberta...the forum has got me though a few bad times i can tell you....we cant let it down now.....

lyn..x

So pleased to hear normal service will be resumed :biggrin:

Lyn and all who've commented. Yes I think we've been going through the whole range of emotions over the last few weeks. Like Lyn, I've been feeling especially angry at the person(s) wanting to wreck the site. But when Jim said how gutted he felt on another thread, I thought we owe it to him and all the other people who give so much to this to show our 100% support to KEEP IT GOING. And that's exactly what's happening. Aren't you all a great group of people?

And Lyn, I know how much hard work it must have taken to load up all those wonderful photos, but it can be remedied over time. Thank God you stored so much of it, clever girl!! I too am a bit apprehensive about uploading my pics (albeit a pathetic number in comparison) but it has to be one step at a time .... there's no hurry is there?

As for your Onward & Upward ..... well says it all doesn't it ? Viv.

hi viv..it matters not how many photos we have...its only takes someone to post just one to set the memories off and thats what its all about...every pic tells a story and so everyone is worth posting...later on i will be getting some serious practice in so hopefully i will have a go at posting on the forum very soon....

lyn

Good luck! I'll be giving it a try later if I can. I watched Warren's video and so far that makes sense, so at least I understand what I'm aiming to do. Whether I get there's another matter!!! Viv.

good luck to you too viv...at this rate i will be needing to dye me hair again lol...

lyn

I will replace pictures in historical discovery threads that I have contributed to but with the best will in the world, it will take a lot of time and there does not seem to be much interest in these threads anymore. Anyway, I think I will work from front to back and in this way the older threads will be rediscovered down the road...who knows maybe newer members will see them for the first time and add more content then. In a way this event has some good features and perhaps, at a time when new material seems hard to come by, the older stuff can re-appear better than new. I have to re-discover the posting of pictures also. Anyway why not start with Westley's Aspect and the Heath Mill and the house on the right and the location on Fazely Street at the current Bond House. No one commented on this find. Is that house the one in Westleys picture? much remodeled but still there. Can some time team find a millstone in the junkyard just above the river Rea. Is the old decaying building that was Gulverton Tin Works built in the old millpond to the south west of the street at the junction of River Street. Or is this old news anyway and everyone knew but me. Anyway good luck with your endeavors. Actually the whole thing is an interesting project.
Refs. 'Heathmill Lane' and 'The Mills Of Birmingham'....sans pictures at the moment.

That's true Rupert. This could be looked on as an opportunity to enhance what's gone before. That could be in relation to the uncovering of Birmingham's history or the way we do things on the Forum. Whichever way you look at it, it's certainly given us the chance to review one or two things. Not such a bad thing. Obviously it would have been better if this hadn't happened at all, but seems we're all learning from it. One teeny weeny tip: Just don't make the mistake I made when re-posting photos. I posted my first pic as a new posting!! Well we all need a bit of slack don't we? I just need time and practice!!! VIv

Hi lyn and all,
I have been replacing my photos to the threads which were lost on this forum. As a fairly new member I have only posted a few,I suppose I am lucky as some member have lost a large amounts like yourself, I have always enjoyed reading the post of all in respect of history and subjects of Birmingham no matter what district, for me it has always been the man/woman in the streets that makes the true history not just noble people of the past and thanks to members of this forum who have done in depth research on a given subject.
The photo's that I have replaced are on The Nechells Baths (using the new copermine system). I found out a way of reattaching my photo's which were posted on the thread, the way I did it was by using the dialog box, this box will open up when you click on the attachment that was posted on the thread but it would load the picture because they had been deleted to the virus, but it allowed me to take note of the picture file name or image number which was given on the right hand side of the box that corresponded to the file name or number on my computer files on the left hand side which gave me the date of post.
But admin has now removed this facility or procedure, it is a shame because for members like yourself it would have been a great aid and help in replacing the lost photos and images that you have posted on the thread, as it didn't matter to what subject and thread on the forum. It a shame the host hadn't backed up this forum up because valuable photographs have been lost for ever.

Pudding

Best foot forward..yes. But sometimes you have to first acknowledge what you have lost. With all the best wills in the world, we cannot replace the archive of photos that were here. Original posters, of many of the lost photos, are no longer here. So, apart from the ones that have been saved my many of us, they are lost forever. How can you attach photos to other peoples' posts? The archive as it existed is destroyed. And that is really sad. Really sad. We can build again, but a pity it wasn't protected.

Hi lyn and all,
I have been replacing my photos to the threads which were lost on this forum. As a fairly new member I have only posted a few,I suppose I am lucky as some member have lost a large amounts like yourself, I have always enjoyed reading the post of all in respect of history and subjects of Birmingham no matter what district, for me it has always been the man/woman in the streets that makes the true history not just noble people of the past and thanks to members of this forum who have done in depth research on a given subject.
The photo's that I have replaced are on The Nechells Baths (using the new copermine system). I found out a way of reattaching my photo's which were posted on the thread, the way I did it was by using the dialog box, this box will open up when you click on the attachment that was posted on the thread but it would load the picture because they had been deleted to the virus, but it allowed me to take note of the picture file name or image number which was given on the right hand side of the box that corresponded to the file name or number on my computer files on the left hand side which gave me the date of post.
But admin has now removed this facility or procedure, it is a shame because for members like yourself it would have been a great aid and help in replacing the lost photos and images that you have posted on the thread, as it didn't matter to what subject and thread on the forum. It a shame the host hadn't backed up this forum up because valuable photographs have been lost for ever.

Pudding

There was misunderstanding on that front between us and the hosts, We thought they did backups they thought we did.
Backups are now in place as a weekly scheduled event.

Onwards and upwards we go then!
Rupert, I think your idea of reposting older historical thread pics sounds great - as a newer member, I was still working my way through lots of threads and I'm sure there will be some I haven't seen yet,as I'dstarted with the latest ones. Looking forward to starting again.
Sue

The following should help you locate where you added pictures previously:
  1. Select the Forum tab on the home page.
  2. From the options underneath the Forum tab, select Forum Actions and then General Settings.
  3. In the left hand panel, scroll down to My settings / Miscellaneous
  4. Click on Attachments. All the attachments you have made previously are shown, together with the thread name. Your total number of images is shown at the top of the table
  5. When you are ready to delete an attachment, click the relevant box on the right-hand side and click "Delete selected"
I have only attcahed a relatively small number of images (166), so I intend to try to work my way through my old posts using this as a reference list and only delete my old attachment once I have re-attached a picture. I guess it's going to take some time, but it will be worth it!

I Would also like to add that i came across this forum whilst going through a low in my life. It gave me a bit of interest as i could not get out of the house at the time... There are lots of people i recommended this to who like me love to see the old photos and read peoples memories. It is great to see everyone pulling together to get the forum back on it,s feet thanks to you all. (Still can,t get my head round uploading photos) but look forward to looking at other peoples contributions.

Personally I'm really enjoying re-visiting the photos/images (or even discovering them for the first time) which people are working hard at uploading to the Coppermine site. It's handy that these are all in one place and you can browse at leisure. Spurs me on to upload more of mine on there - well once I've finished indulging myself in a bit more browsing.:friendly_wink::rapture: Thanks all of you. Viv.

Well, I've started to try to make some sense of the Ann Street thread and put my postings back. I seem to have a lot more pictures than places where I had done attachments! I can only think that I had downloaded some images that others had posted.

Anyone mind if I try to fill in some of the gaps on that thread?

Last edited:
hi lesley oh yes please do....the more of us members that can repost any photos that were lost the better...maybe you could just add the extra pics to the thread...i always liked the ann st thread it was most interesting...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Folks.

I hear that all or picture efforts over the years have been hacked into, by some faceless idiot.

Anyway the good news is all the coloured slides I put over the years are still my hands and this summer after purchasing Photoshop software I have started to refurbish a lot of the damage caused over time.

Also some slide just wasn't worth putting on the Forum have cleaned up reasonable well so there will be the old ones and a number of new ones so far I have done 230 of approx. 400 not perfect but viewable.

What I would like from from Forum freinds is to tell me have they would like them grouped.

I have slides/pictures of Birmingham 2, 4, 6, 7, 18, 19, 2o, which include Aston, Lozells, Nechells/Duddeston, Salford park inc river & canal pictures, witton, Hockley Brook, City Centre.

I'm trying to get them finished by Christmas then start letting you see them on the Forum some are not perfect but they are good enough to view.

What I would like hear from you how you would like the to grouped it's going take sometime to place the Forum and yet to understand how to put them on the Galley.

Ray

Well done Ray, i know it is hard work, i put some of mine into a pixel increase program to enlarge the another program to tart them up a bit. I think regarding where to put them is put the area into the search box and something should show up.
look forward to seing them. As you can see everyone is working hard to put photo's back on.

regards Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back