• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Missing from 1901 census ?

Paul33

master brummie
My ancestral family show up nicely on the 1911 census as .......

YOUNG, William Head Married Machinist England Birmingham (1856)
YOUNG, Elizabeth Wife Married 17 years England Birmingham (1863)
YOUNG, Edward Son Single Sawyer Wood England Birmingham (1895)
YOUNG, Arthur Son School England Birmingham (1897)
YOUNG, Beatrice Daughter School England Birmingham YOUNG (1899)
YOUNG Thomas Son School England Birmingham (1904)
YOUNG, George Son England Birmingham (1908)

...... but the family is seemingly missing from the 1901 census.

Arthur, Beatrice and thomas were born at 38 Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath and if you search that address on the 1901 census return, you find a "1" entered in the column marked "Uninhabited - Not in Occupation".

First of all, how would the census guy determine that and, second, anyone have a theory as to where the family might be ?!!!

I don't think it is unusual for families to 'disappear' as far as census is concerned. And I really have no idea why but this seems to happen with mine more in the 1901 census than anywhere else.

All you can do is input each individual and see if you can find the rest of the family that way or play about with the surname spelling or imagine bad transcription.

Could the family have been away at the time of the census? Maybe some joker told the census person that the house wasn't occupied. Certainly it sounds as though they weren't there at that particular period.

Wish I could look them up for you but my Adobe hates the 1901.

Jill

Would there be any reason for a family to avoid the census - if that is what they might have done ?

Back