• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Missing 1891 census Edith Ada Green aka Ada Green

bewdley

master brummie
Hi, I’m wondering whether anyone can help me find the 1891 census for my maternal grandmother Edith Ada Green, known as Ada.
Edith Ada was born on 12 November 1889 to Alfred and Fanny (nee Hill) in Birmingham.
I have the 1881 census with Alfred Green born 1853 Longborough, Gloucestershire, Fanny born 1856 Evesham, their sons Albert born 1876 Evesham, and Frederick born 1880 Birmingham, living at 2 Back of 36 Lawden Road.
By 1901 census there was Alfred and Fanny plus Nellie 1883, Annie 1885, my Ada 1889, Alfred 1890, John 1895 and Louis 1898 all born Birmingham. They were living at 8 Court Frankfort Street - 4 house.
Son Albert married Lucy Doody in 1897 and died in 1909. Frederick married Lucy in 1910 following Albert’s death – I cannot find Frederick on 1901 census either.
Edith Ada married my grandfather Alfred William Eccles on 6 July 1908 at Birmingham Registry Office. Alfred’s address was 56 Phillips Street and Edith Ada was living at 2 Waverley Terrace Rodway Street B'ham.
They were living at 182 Gt Lister Street by 1911 census with daughters Lavinia 2 years and Lily 2 months.
Mom is their eighth and last child born in 1926 and she has no knowledge at all of her ancestry apart from remembering her mother, Edith Ada, telling her that her mother, Fanny, had said that she had walked to Birmingham from Evesham with her husband, child and their belongings in a pram/cart looking for work.
I know this is a long shot, but I have seen the magic you work on this site and would be thrilled if anyone could crack this as I have been searching for many years and keep coming back to see if I can gain any ground, but so far no luck.
I've included a lot of info I know, but thought it might just help to trigger a memory somewhere in the ether.
Ever hopeful Josie aka Bewdley

lynne webb

master brummie
Hi Josie, I've looked over the last couple of nights but no luck. I tried variations of the name but there's not much you can do with Green. I will keep looking because I dont like to be beaten. Good Luck.
Lynne.

bewdley

master brummie
Hi Lynne, Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me, sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of eyes to unearth what has been staring me in the face all the time. I have all but given up now, but, like a dog with a bone, I keep coming back to it, she's there somewhere probably playing hide and seek with me. What you said about Green is very true, though I have found some of them incorrectly transcribed as Keen.

Thanks again, Josie

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lynne , just like you I hate to be beaten but I fear that this family may have been left off the census for some reason.
I have tried all the christian names, I thought that Fanny born Evesham may make things easier but NO.

Thought it very poignant that annie the daughter who filled in the 1911 census listed all her brothers and sisters with their maiden names
as if they had never left home or died..These were crossed out by the enumerator who left a message that the last entries from 7 to 15
had either married and moved away or died.

Last edited:

Shortie

master brummie
I have one family member who is on the 1841 census, in Cheltenham, his place of birth, but then he is not on a census again until 1891 in London. I was informed by a genealogist (a professional one who works for a City Council) that it could be that the person/persons concerned were travelling. Trains used to run throughout the night for instance3, and it would be an impossible task trying to catch people moving about. I would love to know what this man was doing in the interim, but I guess I will never know. I live in hope that something might turn up eventually and show me just what he was doing.

lynne webb

master brummie
Alberta, I saw the 1911 Census, I dont think I've ever seen so much info on a Census, maybe Annie knew someone would be looking for them in the future. I will keep looking for a while just in case something pops up.
Lynne

bewdley

master brummie
Dear Lynne, Alberta and Shortie,

Poor Annie I imagine the enumerator wasn’t too pleased with her when he collected the census, but “bless her” for filling it in so thoroughly that’s what I say. Perhaps I inherited more than just her genes, I always tend to include more info than is necessary, but I’m of the opinion than information should be shared, so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone and I will always protect confidentiality due to many years as a medical secretary with the NHS.

I’ve just checked Edith’s birth certificate. She was born at 11 Parliament Street, Aston on 8 November 1889 and I’ve just realised that her brother Alfred was born afterwards around the 1891 census so I’m going to order his birth certificate to see if that brings me any closer.

I have also done a random page by page search of the area on the 1891 census and there are quite a few pages which are barely legible so I may have to accept defeat if that is the case.

Thanks to you all for your comments and help. Josie

bewdley

master brummie
UPDATE

Well I am absolutely amazed and just have to share my find with Lynne Webb, Alberta and Shortie and to give hope to those who are still searching.

I received Alfred’s birth certificate today which showed he was born at 234 Bridge Street West on 21/8/1891.

I checked this address on FMP 1891 census and the family match mine (almost) even the occupation of the head of family, except for the family surname (wonder where they got Riley from) Father’s Christian name and place of birth of head of family Longborough Gloucester, Fanny and Albert both born Evesham Worcs.

I can’t imagine how this happened perhaps one of the children relayed the information to the census enumerator incorrectly, I will never know now, but I’m more than confident that this is my grandmother Ada in 1891, my mum will be so chuffed. I have pasted a copy of the transcription below.

Sched
Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Year
Occupation,
Disability
Where Born
Original
census
[HR][/HR]​
RILEY, Frederick
Head
Married
M
Night Soil Man
Birmingham
RILEY, Fanny
Wife
Married
F
Stratford on Avon
Warwickshire
RILEY, Albert
Son
Single
M
Blacksmith
Stratford on Avon
Warwickshire
RILEY, Sarah
Daughter
Single
F
Pens Worker
Stratford on Avon
Warwickshire
RILEY, Frederick
Son
M
Birmingham
RILEY, William
Son
M
Birmingham
RILEY, Ellen
Daughter
F
Birmingham
RILEY, Annie
Daughter
F
Birmingham
RILEY, Frank
Son
M
Birmingham
RILEY, Ada
Daughter
F
Birmingham
[HR][/HR]​
RG number:
RG12
Piece:
Folio:
Page:

Sub District:
St George
Enumeration District:
Ecclesiastical Parish:
St Stephens

Municipal Borough:
Birmingham
Address:
234, Bridge Street West, Birmingham
County:
Warwickshire

Thanks again for your help bewdley

lynne webb

master brummie
Josie, How good is that. I did a lot of variations of the name but never thought of Riley, it did make me smile though. Great outcome, Well done.
Lynne.

bewdley

master brummie
It's taken an awful long time, but at last an update re the missing 1891 census.

I think I have found out why they used a different surname.

Fanny’s brother Alfred Hill “aka Lovely” and brothers Samuel and Joseph Boswell of Evesham were convicted of murdering a gamekeeper, Frederick Stephens, at Wood Norton on 10th November 1899!

They were all sentenced to be hung in February 1890 at Worcester Assizes, but for some reason Alfred received a last minute reprieve whilst Samuel and Joseph Boswell were hung. I believe they were the last hangings at Worcester.

Alfred was returned home to Evesham in 1905 having served 15 years for murder.

As you can imagine I have found several newspaper reports relating to this and in one it reports that Alfred was arrested whilst working at Windsor Street Gas works under the name George Hale where his sister Fanny Green’s husband Alfred Green worked. Their address at that time was 11 Parliament St.

So I think they moved and possibly gave a false surname because of this.