• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Missing 1841 enumeration districts in Ladywood?

Maccalenny2

Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist me with a problem. I’m looking for family on the 1841 census and I think they were living on Ruston Street, Birmingham - John and Sarah Blackwell, with Sarah’s son Stephen born in 1835, surname Blackwell or Nurdin/Nerding. I cannot find Ruston Street on the address search on findmypast, or any the streets immediately around it. On Ancestry, i have been looking at the Ladywood area, (I think that’s right) but several of the enumeration districts seem to be missing when I browse through.
Is this a known missing section on the census? Or am I looking wrong?
Thank you

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hi,

And welcome to the Forum. As you are using FindMyPast, you can find the list of Missing pieces for 1841 here.
https://www.findmypast.com/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces
Neither Ruston Street, Ladywood, nor Birmingham are listed, which would lead me to suggest that the street wasn't built in 1841. Most of that area was built in Victorian times, i.e. from 1837 onwards, so possibly your missing person came in from another area, or even from way outside Birmingham, as many did, looking for work.

EDIT: I've just checked for Ruston Street in the trade directories, and the earliest this appears is in the 1849 directory, data collected in the previous year.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:

pjmburns

master brummie
I assume you know that in 1846 they were in Lower Tower Street according to the baptismal register for Albert and Ralph. If I have the right John and Sarah Blackwell that is.
Just found baptism 1842 which gives address as Ruston Street.

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pigot's 1841 directory does not have a street list, but if you search through the names list then the following appear:
Shelley Edward, academy, Ruston St
Lockyer Ann, beer retailer, 32 Ruston st
Lines George, builder, 9 Ruston st
Waggon & Horses, Jemima Minshull, Ruston st
Now 1841 is the publication date, so would refer to at least one year earlier. I have checked these names in Ancestry for the 1841 and could not find them in Ruston St. Mrs Minshull is also at the Waggon & Horses in the 1845 directory, where there is a street directory containing a number of entries for Ruston St,,so she should definitely turn up in the1841 census.
Anyway the street certainly existed in 1841

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Interesting. It doesn't appear in FMP if you search by address (street) and there's nothing in the list of missing pieces. A search of "Ruston" in Midlands Historical Data trade directories reveals the earliest entry to be 1849 although the site also includes 1841 Pigots and 1845 Post Office. Perhaps the baptismal register was where Maccalenny2 found Ruston Street, Janice. I haven't checked the 1841 Census on Ancestry.

EDIT: No entry for 1841 Census in Ancestry for Blackwell in Birmingham either.

Last edited:

pjmburns

master brummie
Looks very much as if Ruston Street existed but is not listed on 1841 census.
Wonder why it is not listed as missing - if you see what I mean.

pjmburns

master brummie
As per post #1 I have just been looking on Ancestry and under Ladywood the districts go from 1 to 18 but districts 4 to 9 are missing. Would the numbers not have run consecutively?
Looking on an old map where districts 2 and 3 are it looks as if Ruston Street would be in either district 4 or 5 (depending on size).

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Janice,

The National Archives has 34 missing enumeration districts for 1841, but none in Warwickshire or Worcestershire. They say their list will not be updated. So it's a case of "we haven't got any others and there's nothing we can do about it".