• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Miskin Fun

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i think this is a wonderful photo folks..typical of the day....absolutely no idea where it was taken ..its just a random one that was sent to me

lyn

Miskin Fun..jpg

And years ago Lyn, you posted some magic miskins in the Old Evening Mail thread ...
img070_renamed_7608.jpg

The pic is amongst this lot https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/foru...d-evening-mail-pics.21690/page-16#post-422536

yes i remember posting that one phil....if i didnt know better i would have said the baby in the pram was my bro mark and the little girl standing on the right my sister sharon

lyn

Here are some not so Fun miskins, originally a miskin was just a pit or a covered area in the a back court where the daily rubbish from the houses in the court was dumped until such time as the collectors came along loaded it up and carted it away (photo 1). Then somebody had the bright idea of putting containers in the miskin as a labour saving idea (photo 2). From there we went to having only bins and were encouraged to keep the area around the bins as clean and tidy as possible (photo 3).

1 Nechells Lupin Street r-o 146 (miskin).JPG 2 Deritend High Street b35 Court Miskin.JPG 3 Newtown Lower Tower St Miskins.jpg

Well, I don't know what those miskins look like. However a search says they are small bagpipes and it seems that they are known in Kent as well as South Wales where a village and many places, including pubs, have miskin in their names. :eek:

Last edited:
Love your Miskin Fun pic Lyn. Mom would've hit the roof if we'd played by our dustbin (not that it ever stopped us - the lids made great drums didn't they) but then we were very lucky, we had a garden and a park to play in.

Well, I don't know what those miskins look like. However a search says they are small bagpipes and it seems that they are known in Kent as well as South Wales where a village and many places, including pubs, have miskin in their names. :eek:

Radiorails

Miskin, Midden or Mixen

Rubbish heap or dustbins (garbage bin) From the Anglo-Saxon for dung

great photo dave....i would have been living in paddington st when that was taken...be about 3 years old

lyn

sorry dave when i saved that photo i thought it had the date of 1958...must have been mistaken:rolleyes:

Back