• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Miniature & narrow gauge railways

Jeepwolf

master brummie
Does anyone remember the miniature railway in Bournville park, where the Boating lake is. Our Dad used to take us there on a Sunday afternoon. It was a maroon engine and it ran on about 250 yards of track. I think it closed in the late 60s. Does it jog any ones memories ?

Thats the one Spargone, great pictures and happy memories. I remember the loco shed being wooden, the dip in the ground where the shed used to be is still visible today. Thanks for posting.

I loved that little railway! In early 1950's Dad used to put his home-made remote controlled boat on the yachting pool nearby. Happy Days.
rosie.

Quite right Rosie, it was great as a child living around there, we were so lucky. Any ideas when the railway shut, ? i guess it was around 1967, but i dont khow the exact time. I often wonder what happened to that train.

I don't remember the railway running but I do recall seeing the track and the loco shed. Not totally relevant to this thread but I loved that picture of the snow on the frozen lake - I remember that time

Sorry Jeepwolf, I don't know when it stopped, Dad became too disabled to use the boat so we stopped going for a while. I hope someone has the engine safe somewhere!
rosie.

I seem to remember there was a miniature railway in Calthorpe park many years ago. Am I correct or am I dreaming again?.

Not ‘miniature’ in the true sense. I wonder where this model ended up ? Viv.

FE9D7E76-8817-42B6-92CC-563F3A2916E1.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 596B51EF-3582-4B81-B942-99BFCF275C29.jpeg
    596B51EF-3582-4B81-B942-99BFCF275C29.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 4
i remember one in suton park

What a pity we lost that one Brummie dude, it would have been a real treat for the children. A little further afield, but the one that I remember saving up my tanners for to use on the August Bank Holiday:
1643801095765.png 1643801462873.png 1643801527408.png

The locomotives and rolling stock from the Sutton Park Railway now resides with
the Cleethorpes Coast Railway.

They have in the past had days dedicated to the memory of Sutton Park
where they turn out everything they have which is in working condition.

I'm sure there was a Miniature Railway in Drayton Manor Park, to carry people from the Main Gate down to the amusement area. Before the park expanded to its present size.

I'm sure there was a Miniature Railway in Drayton Manor Park, to carry people from the Main Gate down to the amusement area. Before the park expanded to its present size.
A miniature train used to depart from the amusement area and travel around the park’s man made lake. Although the route and rolling stock might have changed the train is still one of the park’s regular attractions today

As we have drifted outside Birmingham can I bring the following to peoples attention
www.statfold.com just the other side of Tamworth
From their website: An idyllic narrow-gauge steam railway and museum provide the backdrop for weddings, parties, conferences and special events. Not forgetting the rail enthusiasts for whom we continue our restoration work, open our sheds for and share the love of narrow-gauge stock.
- heard lots about it but never been but as we seem to be like minded people thought I would share. :)

Last edited:
As we have drifted outside Birmingham can I bring the following to peoples attention
www.statfold.com just the other side of Tamworth
From their website: An idyllic narrow-gauge steam railway and museum provide the backdrop for weddings, parties, conferences and special events. Not forgetting the rail enthusiasts for whom we continue our restoration work, open our sheds for and share the love of narrow-gauge stock.
- heard lots about it but never been but as we seem to be like minded people thought I would share. :)
Worth a Visit

Does anybody recall the Jacot Railway in Handsworth which was in the garden

There was a locomotive called Redgauntlet

ALDERLY school ran a night school for model enginering they built miniture railway locos
locos. and there were run on a track at hockley heath.
Illshaw Heath Road
Hockley Heath
Solihull
West Midlands
B94 6DN

The Tyburn Road sewage works had its own miniature railway as did the one at Minworth. That had a level crossing across Water Orton Lane. I have a feeling that one of the steam locos that worked Minworth was in the science museum in Birmingham?

The Tyburn Road sewage works had its own miniature railway as did the one at Minworth. That had a level crossing across Water Orton Lane. I have a feeling that one of the steam locos that worked Minworth was in the science museum in Birmingham?
Mort, I used to go visit Aunts in Minworth (family still lives there) and Tyburn/Water Orion. This would be in the early mid 50’s my memory is clouded but could it be that those two railways crossed or were very similar. I remember seeing those small trains (but not comprehending) as I rode around on my bike while my parents visited.

The Steam yes was at the Science Museum, few years ago it was at the Pumping station in Leicester, will look for a video from a open day

Back