• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Millward's

Davenport

master brummie
A Family member has said that ''we are related to the Millward shops'' I do not recall any shops of that name in Brum, wonder if anyone has any clues ?

Thank You. D

Hi D,

I have lived in Birmingham or thereabouts all my long life. I am sure that here is no chain of Millward shops. There is a Milward Street in Small Heath. Perhaps a relation kept a shop there.

Old Boy

Pick a part in Waterloo Ave, Bacon's End, used to be Millward Brothers.

I remember when I was young most families would say they were related to some very wealthy family or someone famous.
Spike Milligan once said he was told by his father that they were related to the Kings of Ireland.
Spike said "If we are related to the Kings of Ireland why is the a**e out of my trousers!"

There are a number of Millward shops listed in Kelly's Directory (1949 & 1969) but, non have more than one shop listed.
Any more details.

Colin

My great grandmother was Mary Millward (1854-1904), eldest daughter of nine, and the family business was Tailoring - see premises and staff at 90 Moseley Road below. The building is still there, recently sold, opposite the entrance to the Park, but when the Matriarch died, she left almost everything to her eldest son Robert Owen Millward, who went into the Pub business and blew the lot away...as you do...

Millward house.jpg Millward Family Group c 1901.jpg Millwards House 2 2010.jpg

hi guys
just wondering whether or not is it any connection to the same milwards as the senior stipendry at the old victorian law courts
of yester years along with the later cadbury family that used to sit the benches in the years gone bye
whom himself became a magistrate at the birmingham courts
best wishs astonian;;

Back