• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mills Of Birmingham

O

O.C.

As I should think Duddeston Mill would be the most interesting one to write about as way back in the past I have a family connection.
The long wall which cut the railway of from the street in Vauxhall that we use to climb over to play which I now know was a stupid thing to have done was where
Duddeston Great Pool was that drove the Mill it stood on the banks of the River Rea where since 15th century there has been a Mill there.
In the 1950’s all trace of it had gone but if you knew were to look you could picture were it had been, the pool was drained in the 1800’s it was were the goods yard was were I use to play, the mill buildings were kept and used as warehouses for the Saw Mill and used up till about the 1880’s
The mill was rebuilt in 1570 near the one that was there in 1530
Edward Holt of Duddeston owned or leased 3 flour mills in Duddeston one was called the Manorial Mill which is the one I am talking about which was leased to Samuel Farmer who’s daughter Mary married Samuel Galton.
Samuel Galton was a Quaker and attended the meetings the Quakers held in Digbeth and in town.
Farmer and Galton were Gun-makers in Steelhouse Lane which was the reason he was threw out of the Quaker movement which got him quite mad forcing him to write a long articles in the Birmingham press of the time justifying his reason for the arms trade (which is to long to go into here but the info is available on the web)
Nicholas Juxon (my relative) and Brass founder had shares with Galton in the Copper Rose Company and was a straight laced Quaker who had a factory in Town by the Meeting House in Cherry Street which was so called as it was lined with Cherry Trees
From the Orchards of the 17th cent
In 1777 Galton who was disowned by his family took out a lease so he owned more land around the mill this was where he built his great Mansion Dudderston House and the Mill was flourishing, grinding and polishing gun barrels, rapier and sword blades.
The family he married into the Farmers were ironmongers so the Mill was kept on the go as rolling mills for the steel and sometimes even rolling silver for the jewellery quarter
Duddeston house was once on the area by Saltley Gas works and for many years it was used as a school Saint Anne’s
The Mill in the 1800 went back to being a corn mill as most of them did with the advancement of machinery and by that time the Evans family were tenants and round about 1830’s the lake was drained and the old mill was no more
In 1855 just next door to Vauxhall railway station was a pub called the Galton Arms

I wonder if you could now try and sort something out with the Aston Brook Mill?

Rod I know there is an Aston Brook St
but where was Aston Brook? the mills were on Hockley Brook or am I wrong ?

I'm still searching for the actual site, but there are many streets that are a refrence to it.  Phillips Street, and Pool Street .......  Phillips owned the Mill at one time i believe, and Pool Street speaks for itself. It was very close by? I beleive it was a fulling mill and a corn mill at differing stages of its existance. I particularly interested in finding out about it when it was a fulling mill....

Rod as far as I am aware Hockley brook ran alongside Aston Brook St so perhaps the locals called it Aston Brook at that point

Rod, the Mill you must mean is this one marked with X on the map Powells Flour Mill Hockley Brook 1850's Powells Street  named after it

Pool Street was once Cheshire St
As far as I know there never was an Aston Brook but their might have been a nickname for the locals

I have traced in blue over the Brooks course and found it splits into two at the Site of Aston Brook street
So mystery solved although it give no name, map is 1855
So It Was Hockley Brook then it split to make the pool and rejoins then in the 1880's its all filled in and goes on being Hockley Brook so the locals must have named that Aston Brook I should imagine. What needs to be done now is find a map before 1855 as the mill would have been their from the 16th -17th century and it might even give the name Aston Brook

A map I have ( Bacon 1880s ) shows a path fron Aston Lane going to two pools in what is now Salford Park and shows a Mill at the left side of one pool and a stream going away towards Witton.I will scan the map later.

The first pic. is part of the Bacon map from 188s the second pic. is from an earlier map date not known by me

Mike thanks for the two pic's Its added a bit more info now but caused a bit more confusion
So an earlier map shows one brook which is Hockley Brook  while telling us that Mr Phillips owned the Mill before Powell and that is why you have Phillip street on the spot today
So can anyone out their show evidence that Aston brook existed
I can tell you the rough date of your map as the Liverpool Brum Railway line has not yet being built I should put the Date as 1830-4 The Railway was started in 1835 and finished in 1837

:angel: I really am not sure right now where I obtained this map from (I have many from different sources) However I think this shows your Aston Brook Mill ... (Bottom middle)1833

Last edited:
Chris I knew I could rely on you.
Aston mill was in what is now Salford Park what we called the" Ressa"
Now if that map is 1833 and someone has called it Aston Brook Mill it might be because they did not know the name of it and its were Aston Brook Street is (playing the part of  Devils Avocate)
And we know thats were the mill was
It still shows its on Hockley Brook but as their is no name on the Brook was it once called Aston Book ?
River and streams etc. rarley had there names changed
But found out that Hockley Brook was once The Bourne

:angel: Yes your spot on John... Thanx :smitten:

Now because of John's help here is an earlier map and The Mill has another name... The Bourne Mill

Chris :angel:

Last edited:
As a few years change it gets more complicated but I have seen no evidence that it was ever called Aston Brook only by the locals and not on any map

Now First bit of info with Aston Brook on going towards Thimble Mill Lane
Getting Somewhere at last
The next Mill to Gisburns is the one at "Aston Brook"

Cribbed directly from Virtual Brum....Birmingham had been a market town from the 12th century. The farmers in Nechells were able to sell their produce to the town dwellers. By 1760, all land in Nechells was "enclosed", except 10 acres at Nechells Green. There were three rivers bordering the area - the Tame to the north, the Rea to the east and Aston Brook to the west. .... It goes on ( worth reading )

Nice one Mike
I think now I have my head round (Roundhead) the Aston Brook saga as it has changed courses and names often. But I have established what years when the name changed and through the maps the years of the changes
We now 'ought to get a petition up to get the name changed back to the good old days name of
Aston Brook

Oldest map I found (was hanging in the hall) showing rivers by name Bourne is not were it should be according to the map that John Morris Jones drew and no name on the Aston Brook so need the next one up

Thanks for that Jennyann
Just been on the site and loads about the Aston Brook Mill but still 50-50 on the name of the Brook but will keep plodding away at it

I tried writing to Severn Trent some time ago and didnt get a reply. I believe the River network has a whole is described as The Bourne River Network but as yet I have not been able to give the any cred.

I have a couple of contact names who I will write to shortly once I can spare some time away from the site, one of them in particular I am assured is person to talk to regarding Mills and Brum.

Loisland
I have a wonderful old picture map of Brum which I put a snippet on the St John Church article in Deritend
It is to large to scan but I know someone who might be able to help
Once its done I will send you a copy as I know you are intrested in the subject

Cromwell I am fascinated about everything to do with the history of Warwickshire, unfortunately it's getting the time to get my head down and research, I can only do odd days, unless I book time off from work, still there is a bank holiday coming soon. The pieces that have been done about Aston was wonderful, you can picture in your mind that era, needless to say all have been printed of to add to my folder about Aston. In a way its a pity times have changed, I wonder would we like that era or not?? :flower:

Loisand
If I have time today I will pop over to New Hall Mill in Sutton to get a bit of stone ground flour ground by the water mill which was built in 1850 as its public open day again

Loisand
I have lent my picture map to a good honest person to get copied for the site (which I hope he can do )
if not I can send it in 3 sections Left half, Middle, and Right half to you by Email but wait a bit to see what happens

Back