• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Millmans

Peter Brackley

proper brummie kid
Just wondered if anyone else on the site knew anything about what I think was called Millmans, which was a typical small shop in New John Street West between Summer Lane and Newtown Row?
I was often sent there as a kid to fetch the odd things, especially if we'd run out of milk or bread but it seemed to me that the shope sold almost everything that we needed, apart from fresh vegetables; although I may be wrong about that. So if anyone has any memories of the shop I'd love to hear them.

Just wondered if anyone else on the site knew anything about what I think was called Millmans, which was a typical small shop in New John Street West between Summer Lane and Newtown Row?
I was often sent there as a kid to fetch the odd things, especially if we'd run out of milk or bread but it seemed to me that the shope sold almost everything that we needed, apart from fresh vegetables; although I may be wrong about that. So if anyone has any memories of the shop I'd love to hear them.

Peter. i am Colin evans who lived in the shop from 1944 until 1948 with my great aunt and uncle and cousin Roland. You are right we did sell every thing and when we had it the stairs and back cellar contained stock. Quite often with me cousin i took the same barrow we collected coke in from Windsor Street to collect goods from Wilsons in Well Street. The last i heard of my aunt and uncle was in the mid sixties after they retired and moved to Selly Oak

Back